Building up the miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I have lost a significant amount of weight. Too much water consumption is the LEAST of your problems. It is very unlikely you'll drink too much water and even if you did you'd likely vomit. Forget it. Just limit your food, increase your exercise and you will lose weight end of story...

slow scot

Veteran
Here's a suggestion which is made genuinely, and which I think will help you. Keep posting and telling us how you're doing, but only post in the "Your ride today" thread. After, say, two months of doing this, let us then know how you're doing, both physically and mentally. Telling us about your rides and how you are getting on with your bike will be interesting for us, and, I hope, inspirational for you. It's maybe something to try. Just a thought, so feel free to ignore it.

al78

Guru
Hi everyone,

In a couple of weeks’ time I’ll finally be riding a bike.

I want to lose a couple of stone. I used to drink quite heavily so I have put on a bit of weight, well at least enough that I have noticed it. I’m not proud to say it, but I have what is known as a beer belly, but it is not MASSIVE. I am proud to state that I have cut dow completely drinking to the point I’m almost a teetotaller.

I don’t really eat much junk food. What types of food should I start eating to lose weight? I drink a few cups of coffee every day with no sugar, is this a problem?

I’m planning on going out on the bike at least five times a week. Is this going to be more beneficial?

Is aiming to lose three pounds a week reasonable and easy enough to achieve?

Thanks!

Losiung weight is mostly to do with diet. Eat wholesome foods e.g. meat and several veg, lose the junk food. Write down what you eat in a week and log the calorie content, then next week, aim to eat 500 calories less. People are very bad at guessing their calorie intake. Aim to lose 1-2 lbs a week, you don't want to try and rush the weight loss by starving yourself as you will end up losing a fair bit of muscle along with the fat, which slows your metabolism and will make it easy for you to gain the weight again.

You might want to consider weight training instead of a couple of bike rides. This will tell your body it needs muscle and will reduce muscle loss.

Finally, note that where you lose the fat first and last is dictated by genetics. you can't spot-reduce (so endless crunches will do nothing for abdominal fat), so if you naturally gain fat around the mid section first, that is the last place you will lose it.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

So 1 month on, you should have lost about 8 lbs. How much weight have you lost @LemonJuice and how much has your waist size reduced?

I weighed myself earlier today and I am 12 stone and 4 pounds. I checked my waist size the other day and I am just over 29”.

All of my clothes, especially my jeans, are hanging off me and are way too big.

I have changed my cycling routine. I go out every day for at least an hour, but three or four times a week I go out for a couple of hours. I’ve been changing my route and going up the same tough hills time and time again, etc.

I’m mostly eating muesli or porridge for my breakfast and lean meats with vegetables or fish (salmon and tuna especially) with brown rice for my dinner/tea. Also, I have a couple of oranges throughout the day.

I’m very happy with myself and I’m chuffed that every time I weigh myself I am noticing a difference on the scales.

I’m aiming to get down to 11 1/2 stone by mid August.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Hey everyone,

As the title of the thread asks, are smoothies good for weight loss?

Obviously it depends what you put in your smoothie, but generally speaking, are smoothies healthy?

I’m not even really sure it is a ‘smoothie’, but after I have been for a bike ride I sometimes use my blender and blend fat free milk and either a banana chopped up or a few strawberries together. Is that smoothie or whatever you want to call it actually good for me?

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

It’s worth noting that I probably lost about six pounds or so from just the pure water weight from the alcohol. I haven’t had any alcohol in ages now and I never even think about it. I’m on a mission and I’m determined to complete the mission. ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is very easy to get carried away with the 'goodness'!

I lost a lot of weight years ago and thought I'd start eating and drinking more healthily. I made some smoothies like the one you described above. All was good. Then I thought they would be nice with a few more strawberries. They were. And half an apple. Yes! Oh, and some natural yoghurt... Before I knew it the damn things were like a liquid fruit meal and the weight was going back on again.

You are better eating the fruit in its natural state.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I gave up smoothies and fruit juices years ago and just started eating fruit in its natural state. It’s the most enjoyable way to eat fruit and get the goodness.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

It is very easy to get carried away with the 'goodness'!

I lost a lot of weight years ago and thought I'd start eating and drinking more healthily. I made some smoothies like the one you described above. All was good. Then I thought they would be nice with a few more strawberries. They were. And half an apple. Yes! Oh, and some natural yoghurt... Before I knew it the damn things were like a liquid fruit meal and the weight was going back on again.

You are better eating the fruit in its natural state.

Thanks for the link.

I was ware that the amount of calories in a smoothie can quickly add up to same as tbe calories in a meal.

I only add strawberries or a banana and fat free milk, no yoghurt or anything else. Am I consuming too many calories from one banana and some milk blended together?

Top Bottom