Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Almost cool this morning, the weather, that is. Couple of clouds exploring the blue, a light breeze and I want to ride my bike. Gears an’ all.

The intention had been to wander around north of Wetherby, hmmm, not ridden a mile and the intention was changed. And I headed for Office Lock and the towpath. I reckoned things would be quiet along there at 6:30am, and I was right. Back onto the road, and ride to Headingley up Cardigan Road, then Otley Road beckons. Up we go again. Over the crest and turn right onto Church Lane to ride through Adel and up the eastern side of Golden Acre Park. Then down Kings Road for a bit of an adventure around the new road layout in Bramhope.

The Dyneley Arms (ex) next, and the wheee! down Pool Bank. Straight through the village and remember to cross the River Wharfe here. In this direction this road eventually goes to Harrogate, but I am turning off onto the road to Leathley for a while. And then another left turn crosses the River Washburn and Farnley is at the top of the next hill.

A short pause to adjust a cable, needed to be on the smallest chainring for that, then down into Otley, but turn away from the river bridge and pedal up Billams Hill to Weston Lane. And that short sharp steep up before Weston. Reckon I earned my banana. Once through Askwith the view across the valley opens out, ‘cos the road goes slightly higher up the valley side. A bit of heat haze this morning, a cracking bit of scenery all the same.

A bit of swoopy road leads to Denton Bridge and the opportunity to go back across the Wharfe. And I did. Head back towards Otley and just before the bypass, ooops! I have had a loose crown for a few weeks. I no longer have it, it jumped out of my mouth and flew away. I did have a gentle look for it, more to be able to say I looked than in any hope of finding it. Ride on.

Up the Leeds Road again and back to Bramhope for another slalom round the roads at the end of the village. Carry on along the other side of Golden Acre Park and down the next hill to Headingley. And it is downhill from there to Kirkstall and the ride from there into the town centre. Back in the Dale of the River Aire, sounds more fun than Leeds maybe, I have to cross that to go home. Which I reached forty one miles after leaving. Back with a smile.

From the top, and the sideways view

26062020.jpg

2606elev.jpg

A short spin to ensure all is well after shenanigans with the rear bearings on the Scott.

And all is well. Which is good, because I've never stripped and re-greased one o' they before!
:biggrin:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A proper big 'un today.

Day reserved off work and 7am start with three mates. The weather forecast was apocalyptic, so fully expecting to have to cut it short, but in the end we were blessed with sunshine save for a single short shower.

So, the ride:

Off up the Cat & Fiddle, down to Buxton then over the very aptly named Long Hill to Whaley Bridge.

Then the double header of Chinley Head and Chunal Hill, and the near 50mph blast down to Glossop for food and drink refills.

Now the Snake Pass, long and demoralising, and descent to Bamford where we turn East on the high back roads to Ringinglow. I don't know this area well, and the rock and moorland scenery is wonderful at lunch, backed by the Derwent Valley.

It's very humid and feels more like swimming than cycling at times. A very hot climb to Eyam - the plague village - is rewarded with more drinks and cakes.

The final climb of the day approaches at Mam Nick after a beautiful ride up the Vale of Edale. I'm nearly done for at the top, but there are no serious climbs left, so all is well.

One of our number is much stronger than the rest, a real machine. And he leads the charge back to the Cheshire plain. Eventually I just can't hold it any more and we slow to the end.

107 miles 2800m climbing 13.8 average speed.

For me, that's a true epic.

Only regret: went on my commuter anticipating a drenching, should have ridden my nice bike.

No pics, sorry!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A proper big 'un today.

Day reserved off work and 7am start with three mates. The weather forecast was apocalyptic, so fully expecting to have to cut it short, but in the end we were blessed with sunshine save for a single short shower.

So, the ride:

Off up the Cat & Fiddle, down to Buxton then over the very aptly named Long Hill to Whaley Bridge.

Then the double header of Chinley Head and Chunal Hill, and the near 50mph blast down to Glossop for food and drink refills.

Now the Snake Pass, long and demoralising, and descent to Bamford where we turn East on the high back roads to Ringinglow. I don't know this area well, and the rock and moorland scenery is wonderful at lunch, backed by the Derwent Valley.

It's very humid and feels more like swimming than cycling at times. A very hot climb to Eyam - the plague village - is rewarded with more drinks and cakes.

The final climb of the day approaches at Mam Nick after a beautiful ride up the Vale of Edale. I'm nearly done for at the top, but there are no serious climbs left, so all is well.

One of our number is much stronger than the rest, a real machine. And he leads the charge back to the Cheshire plain. Eventually I just can't hold it any more and we slow to the end.

107 miles 2800m climbing 13.8 average speed.

For me, that's a true epic.

Only regret: went on my commuter anticipating a drenching, should have ridden my nice bike.

No pics, sorry!
Wow - nice work! That has to be an epic ride by anyone's standards :becool:

My ride today was somewhat less epic; being another necessary utility ride home. Having watched the forecast all week I was expecting the weather to break today and to possibly have to dodge showers... as it happens this wasn't the case so I got cooked instead.

After a fairly tiring week I set off intent on a sedate ride down the usual route. I took the cycle path down the bypass to Wytham; where crossing the road had become a lot less straightforward thanks to the ever-growing traffic volume and tarmac "repairs" to the rough and broken surface that have potentially made it even more unpleasant to ride on :rolleyes:

Passing through Wolvercote I encountered similar chaos to yesterday from the crowds flocking to port meadow; most notably gangs of topless feral teenagers on foot and cycles swarming all over the road with the apparant alpha-scrote veering around slowly in front of me; seemingly intent on seeing how much of his crap I / other road users would tolerate. Ironically he was riding an ofo, although he appeared to be a different gobshite to the one who tried to take mine off me yesterday..

This glut of little sh*ts successfully negotiated I turned onto the cycle path at the other end of Wolvercote to find it almost impassably-blocked by three vehicles; one bearing some "tree service" livery. Again, it looked like these tossers had gone out of their way to cause an obstruction and could easily have parked to allow bikes past because it is, you know, a cycle path. One had even left his driver's door wide open (further worsening the situation), which I made a point of slamming shut to get past once I'd dismounted. They might have spoken to me as I passed but if so I didn't hear it as I had my headphones in; probably a good job as one day my mouth is likely to get me in trouble and in any case given the attitude suggested by their parking I very much doubt any communication from them would have been an apology.

Out along the tow path and it was refreshing to be accommodated by an aesthetically-pleasing female cyclist coming the other way (who was of course thanked accordingly), then I was out onto the Yarnton road. Again this proved generally horrible as it's dualled with a separate cycle path, which is cack as at every roundabout you're forced to cross the sideroads with very little view of what's coming from many directions; to the point where I ended up getting off and crossing on foot on several occasions. Is it any wonder cyclists choose not to use this piss-poor infrastructure provided "for" them? :angry:

The delights just kept coming as I suffered a pretty close pass from some scally in a barried-up Clio coming off the roundabout to Woodstock; satisfyingly for me there were temporary lights further up the road with a fair queue, so I skirted down the outside of the traffic and offered a choice word through his open window as I passed. Again, one day my indignation will probably get me into trouble but thankfully he hadn't caught me up by the time I turned off; suffering more joyous obstacles in the form of muppet pedestrians wondering all over the roads and a raft of confused-looking boomers clogging the roads in their vile soft-roaders..

Cycle path finally reached and it afforded some welcome respite; offering shade and sanctuary from the dickheads blighting the streets. I came up behind another, older cyclist who was evidently oblivious to my presence until I sounded my bell to warn the dog walkers ahead of our presence. He was initially going a bit slower than me but I was in no hurry so was happy to drop down to his pace; although once aware of my presence he sped up a bit and put some distance between us.

Following NCN5 from the end of the rough track took us down a large hill; my superior aero meaning I caught him on the ascent of the next hill and not wanting to brake and lose my precious momentum I put in a bit more effort and passed him. Of course now I was committed to maintaining a decent pace to avoid the potential embarrassment of him catching me up again.. although I think once I was past he probably eased off a bit and disappeared pretty quickly.

I continued along NCN5 on some lovely quiet roads and for the first time on this ride found myself fairly content / enjoying the experience; even managing to retrieve my suntan lotion from my bag and apply it to my reddening slaphead while on the move :becool:

I think the next time I come home I'll break away from the NCN5 route a bit earlier as it has some fastish descents through villages that make me uncomfortable due to the slightly sketchy road surface that's well hidden in bright sunlight by the shadows created by numerous trees, as well as having a few poorly-sighted junctions which could easily play host to some dozy muppet pulling out in front of me while I'm doing 30+mph. In addition there are a couple of fairly punishing (12%+) hills and while picturesque the off-road section of the route has 3-4 gates so it feels less like a ride and more like a bloody agility course.

Image033(1).jpg

Image034(1).jpg

Anyway, back I am now - a bit knackered, hot and suffering the seemingly perpetual sore arse; having covered around 25.5 miles and 900ft at around 13.1mph and 115bpm for a little under 900kcal burned. I've got some pics but the ancient potatophone refuses to communicate with the marginally less ancient desktop, so they'll have to wait until I'm back in Oxford. EDIT: Crap pics now added..

Suppose I really ought to try and do some work but really just feel like vegitating..

Last edited:

Shropshire65LW

Only a short one today , converted back to drops , previous owner converted it to flats used the wrong shifters 🙄 now all working great and fitted. New rubber gone from 32/ to 38 Schwalbe g one WOW what a difference. Looking forward to taking it a bit further .

Attachments

• 5B50860B-A878-4CBA-9A68-128D803B464F.jpeg
    5B50860B-A878-4CBA-9A68-128D803B464F.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 4
  • C5270E6B-6A8C-4E17-8E4C-02333199325A.jpeg
    C5270E6B-6A8C-4E17-8E4C-02333199325A.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 4

PaulB

Legendary Member
No rides for me for a few days..at least!

I've had a minor operation on my neck and the wound looks horrendous. The helmet strap would of course go right across the stitches and it would irritate and possible infect the tissue underneath so all cycling on hold for me...in this weather and amount of daylight too!

Mike_P

Guru
The Co-Op trip was to make use the mobile app offers they have restarted like 2pints of milk for 65p but it transpired I had failed to activate them:banghead:
Back in this morning to use the offers and the self service till froze and after the store manager had spent some time tapping in the secret menu he told me to take the shopping free of charge:rolleyes: Law of averages well skewed on my favour:laugh:

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
A ride out early before the rain began. I don't mind getting rained on while I'm riding but setting off when it has already started seems kind of perverse.
A good ride but one which I won't be recalling with pleasure, as you will see.
I headed north towards Harrogate because it's been a while since I went that way. With little /no traffic about I stuck on the main A61 from Moortown Corner all the way up to the outskirts of Harrogate where I took the turn for Burn Bridge. It's a steady climb all the way up into Pannal Ash and the junction with the Otley Road near to the RHS Harlow Carr Gardens. (well worth a visit if you enjoy plants etc)
Taking the turn at Harlow Moor Road it led me down to Penny Pot Lane and across Oak Beck. The climb up the other side looks worse than it is but still has you breathing heavy and twiddling your legs.
At the junction with Oaker Bank I found signs telling me the rest of Penny Pot Lane was closed and so I had two choices. Right and pick up the A59 and then on to Blubberhouses and Bolton Bridge. Or left to Beckwithshaw and a shorter ride. It had begun to rain quite hard by now and so I chose a shorter route. Beckwithshaw and Shaw Mills were passed on Shaw Lane and on the long steady climb up to North Rigton a car coming the other way stuck their flashers on and he waved me down. It was raining hard by now and under the tree canopy the sound of the rain was quite loud, I thought he said 'There is a large lamp in the road' I asked could we drag it to the side of the road and he thought we could. I pressed on to the top of the hill while he turned around stopped just at the brow of the hill about 500m away.
Once I got there it clearly wasn't a 'lamp' it was a sheep.
The animal had been hit by a car or van and had been left for dead. Only it wasn't. Still bleeding from it's mouth and possibly it's stomach you could see where it had dragged itself across the road. At least one broken leg, but probably two. A couple of times it attempted to get up but simply didn't have any support. Rather than drag the animal out of the road and cause more damage or suffering we left it where it was. We had already called the police and maybe waited 30 mins for them to arrive. Maybe less than that, but standing in the pissing rain getting cold and waving cars down to prevent another collision it seemed a lot longer. Not that there was much traffic at that time anyway.
It is the first time I have had cause to use 'What 3 Words'. A handy app which gives your location to within 3 meters. Anywhere in the world that is, land or sea. I didn't know the name of the road I was on just that it was somewhere between Beckwithshaw and North Rigton.
I asked the operator if they used it and she said yes that would be perfect.
So the police officer when she arrived said a vet was on the way and I left her to it. At least with blue lights flashing traffic would get a warning.
Back under way I was cold. Being stood for probably 40 mins in just shorts and a top, soaked right through it took a while to generate some heat.
I made pretty much straight for home through North Rigton and after having to stop again and wait at a level crossing I took even longer to warm up. The climb up Harewood Bank did the trick and after passing the gates to Harewood House made it south towards Leeds and cut off turning for Wike. Shadwell, Moortown, Street Lane and a loop near home.
I enjoyed the ride, rain or no but was saddened by the callousness of some people.

34.2 miles and just over 2700 ft of up.
1593256082160.png

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Taking the turn at Harlow Moor Road it led me down to Penny Pot Lane and across Oak Beck. The climb up the other side looks worse than it is but still has you breathing heavy and twiddling your legs.
At the junction with Oakley Bank I found signs telling me the rest of Penny Pot Lane was closed and so I had two choices. Right and pick up the A59 and then on to Blubberhouses and Bolton Bridge. Or left to Beckwithshaw and a shorter ride.
Too local territory - how did you do on the climb of Pot Bank up from the bridge to Beckwithshaw? NB make that Oaker Bank.

colly

Re member eR
Too local territory - how did you do on the climb of Pot Bank up from the bridge to Beckwithshaw? NB make that Oaker Bank.
Well it makes itself felt that's for sure.^_^
There is a sign somewhere that says 10% but it's harder than that. It's comes up as just over 14% on Garmin. Not sure of the accuracy of that tbh.

Mike_P

Guru
Well it makes itself felt that's for sure.^_^
There is a sign somewhere that says 10% but it's harder than that. It's comes up as just over 14% on Garmin. Not sure of the accuracy of that tbh.
Strava has it having a grade of 17.1% just as you come off the S bend but gives it an avg of only 13%.

13 rider

Guru
After a busy morning of food shopping and holiday prep ( got the go ahead for Cornwall trip on Tues )for the 4th of July a bit of hill training was required for the Cornish terrain so I can lower @footloose crow Strava placings :okay:. Rain finally stopped at 1300 checked the weather app should be ok for an hour . Out the door at 1330 did my extended Polly Botts loop . As I got to the bottom of Polly Botts and it's starts to rain .Thankfully the climb is well sheltered by trees so wasn't too bad by the time I'd grovelled up the sun had come out and stayed dry for the rest of the ride . 16.4 miles in a tad over the hour so not to shabby . Just enough miles to keep me in track to pass 1000 miles for the month (75 miles required )

Last edited:
Top Bottom