Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
After a busy morning of food shopping and holiday prep ( got the go ahead for Cornwall trip on Tues )for the 4th of July a bit of hill training was required for the Cornish terrain so I can lower @footloose crow Strava placings :okay:. Rain finally stopped at 1300 checked the weather app should be ok for an hour . Out the door at 1330 did my extended Polly Botts loop . As I got to the bottom of Polly Botts and it's starts to rain .Thankfully the climb is well sheltered by trees so wasn't too bad by the time I'd grovelled up the sun had come out and stayed dry for the rest of the ride . 16.4 miles in a tad over the hour so not to shabby . Just enough miles to keep me in track to pass 1000 miles for the month (75 miles required )
1000 miles for the month :eek:

When do you sleep ?

13 rider

Guru
Sleep ?
As I commute 5 days a week 25 miles a day ,it's surprising how the miles start racking up . With leisure rides at the weekend 800 to 1000 is my normal range

footloose crow

Über Member
After a busy morning of food shopping and holiday prep ( got the go ahead for Cornwall trip on Tues )for the 4th of July a bit of hill training was required for the Cornish terrain so I can lower @footloose crow Strava placings :okay:. Rain finally stopped at 1300 checked the weather app should be ok for an hour . Out the door at 1330 did my extended Polly Botts loop . As I got to the bottom of Polly Botts and it's starts to rain .Thankfully the climb is well sheltered by trees so wasn't too bad by the time I'd grovelled up the sun had come out and stayed dry for the rest of the ride . 16.4 miles in a tad over the hour so not to shabby . Just enough miles to keep me in track to pass 1000 miles for the month (75 miles required )
Excellent @13rider. We have just had all the hills re -inflated to make sure they are higher and steeper for the visitors. Maybe I will get to see you on a ride somewhere. Raining here this week but improves at the weekend. Roads considerably busier this week and expecting major influx of visitors Saturday. Here is your first challenge:

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 19.59.38.png

13 rider

Guru
Excellent @13rider. We have just had all the hills re -inflated to make sure they are higher and steeper for the visitors. Maybe I will get to see you on a ride somewhere. Raining here this week but improves at the weekend. Roads considerably busier this week and expecting major influx of visitors Saturday. Here is your first challenge:

View attachment 532777
You seem to have picked a segment just far enough away from Holywell bay and in a Town I normally avoid so you may be safe :okay: but you never know :ph34r: .
I normally ride earlish and normally head in land from Holywell around Mitchell, St Allen

footloose crow

Über Member
You seem to have picked a segment just far enough away from Holywell bay and in a Town I normally avoid so you may be safe :okay: but you never know :ph34r: .
I normally ride earlish and normally head in land from Holywell around Mitchell, St Allen
I usually ride at random times! Is this challenge a bit closer....right next to Crantock??

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 22.38.21.png

Hardly a drop of rain to be honest bit blustery at times but I'll take that in lieu of minging hot sticky weather.
No piccies just shropshire union towpath to national waterways museum, back by road to Chester, job done 23 miles :okay:. Hands took a battering on rough bits, but good to get out ^_^

colly

Re member eR
Ooooo but it were windy.
After a small loop I went due north to take advantage of the tail wind. I got as far as Walshford after Wetherby before I had to turn back into the wind to get back home. It was a slog, no doubt about it, and as time passed the wind picked up and it became even more of a slog.
At Collingham I turned up Jewitt Lane as much to get the wind out of my face as for any other reason. Once up Jewitt Lane it was into the wind again but being up on the hillside on Compton lane the wind was even stronger.
So a slow, slow grind bought me into Thorner and then up Sandhills. A drop down Wellington Hill and it was the last bit of into the wind and uphil to home.
An effort of some sort I can tell you. Just as well I hat a cap on......my hair would have been a complete mess.

30.5 miles and 1800 ft of up.

1593363670311.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today I'd arranged to meet @jembullo on neutral territory in Eastington at 1.30 to ride together for the first time in over a year. Given the blustery conditions, that meant leaving the house by 12.50. I did one last check of the BBC weather forecast, and saw that for the next few hours there was no more than an 11% chance of rain. Stepped out of the front door and a monsoon began immediately. I was 100% sure I was getting doused. Got to Eastington with a minute to spare, having battled against a brutal headwind for 8 miles, averaging only 12mph and, in the process, boiling in the bag. Cue a second deluge.

When Jem arrived, we threw off the rain jackets and headed off towards Dursley via Frocester, Coaley and Cam, with a couple of punchy little hills thrown in, then through Slimbridge towards Berkeley down nice quiet lanes. On the way home, we parted company at Cambridge (no, not that Cambridge) and I benefited from a lovely tailwind all the way home via Frampton, Frocester and Framilode. After the first two deluges, it stayed dry from then on. A very enjoyable 40 mile ride, with great company for about 20 miles.
Cheers, Donger.

13 rider

Guru
Really blustery here today spent the morning pontificating to ride or not and which bike to take. Finally forced myself out of the door at 1300 choice was the Defy as the TCRs deep section wheels are a bit twitchy in crosswinds probably could have risked it but played in safe . Did my Wymeswold 50km loop but did it the other way round . This meant tailwind out headwind home which strangely is my preferred choice as I find heading out into a headwind demoralising and normally cut the ride short but once I'm out on the tailwind I have to get home so just push on into the headwind . Managed a couple of Strava prs up the climb out if Wymeswold due to the tailwind not my legs .After the climb it was mainly headwind home so just stuck it a lower gear and spun home . 31.5 miles in a few seconds under 2hrs average 15.9 mph at the turning point I was at 17.4 mph so definitely tougher coming home . Got home checked Strava and saw a mate had riden to Stratford on Avon and had 58 miles of headwind :surrender: heading straight down the old Fosse way a dead straight road and people think I'm mad

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Another utility ride back to the city today; planned on the favoured route I'd arrived at after various iterations over the past few months.

The forecast suggested 20mph SW winds and a moderate chance of rain. The winds were confirmed as soon as I got out of the house; making the first third of the journey extremely unpleasant. Heading west out of the village on unprotected high ground felt borderline dangerous; having to constantly trim the bike into the strong, gusting 10-11 O'clock-ish wind acting to push me further out into the road.. thankfully those who passed me gave a wide berth.

The big downhill out of the next village was midly terrifying too; it being all I could manage to stay off the brakes as I knew that slowing down wouldn't really help (other than in the event of having stacked it!). Once down on the lower ground and roads lined with trees and hedges the situation improved, although was still tough going into a fairly stiff headwind for most of it, all the time black clouds not far away.

I got to my little detour and typically took the wrong turn, having to turn back a few hundred yards into the wrong road. Weather aside this was quite a nice route - a bit longer than the alternatives but cutting out a lot of (actually, all!) gates and some un-necessary elevation changes.

Bizarrely ascending the hill just before the off-road bit of the cycle path outside Woodstock some bloke in a car coming the other direction apparently waited for me at the top of the hill; holding up another vehicle. I have no idea why he did this (plenty of room on the slope and potentially narrower / more of a hazard where he chose to stop)... all the way up I contemplated whether to thank him or not.. deciding on not since while his intentions were good (assuming he even stopped for my supposed benefit) it was pointless and detrimental to the bloke behind him... so not to be rewarded IMO!

On to the cycle path and I saw a couple of older guys ahead on what appeared to be "gravel" bikes; piquing my competitive interest so I upped the pace a little (only to around mid-HR zone 3) and watched them slowly disappear into the distance ahead :laugh:

I also passed the previously-encounted woman with badly-trained yappy fluffball dogs again; this time coming from the opposite direction with her apparant significant other. I met the dogs first; illustrating an interesting temperament dynamic as one barked furiously while chasing me for a good few hundred yards, while the other (apparently its sibling) gave one half-arsed yap and continued peacefully on its way. Small dog syndrome I guess - just like me with knobhead van drivers although at least I yap for a reason :tongue:

While I have no issue with dogs and would happily give this one the boot if necessity dictated, I think it's abysmal behaviour / discipline by the owner to let the little rat harass cyclists like that - what if it had caused an accident? If it happens again it's definitely getting hosed.

A bit further down the path I stopped for a leak - choosing the right side of the hedge so that I wasn't literally pissing into the wind; as life is figuratively full of such behavour already..

The potatophone's impressionist interpretation of the vista doesn't really convey how bloody windy it was!

Image037(1).jpg

Onward and the journey started to feel better; the wind having died down a little and tempered further by the hedges to either side, the downward gradient and womping acid techno in my ears conspiring to make the process a lot more fun... until the sickening thud of the rear rim bottoming out hard brought me back to reality; the repercussions of which being confirmed seconds later by a totally flat tyre :angry:

Thankfully I was near the end of that part of the route; the next one across the road opening out into a field that was a lot more conducive to puncture repair, so I rolled the bike the last few hundred yards with the weight taken off the rear wheel. In field, bike flipped, rear wheel out, tube patched, tyre back on (perhaps a little pished but it got better as I piled more air in) and wheel refitted - with a little resistance / disappointment from the qeustionably-designed floppy RD hanger / axle mount. Took a lot longer to do than to write..

I carried on through Woodstock, getting pitifully close-passed by a white van (for absolutely no obvious reason); voicing my concerns and causing his (probably similarly knuckle-dragging) passenger to hang out of the window and look at me for a bit. I like to think he was shouting apologies at me :rolleyes:

Back through Yarnton (increasing traffic again highlighting gaping flaws in cycle path provision) then the tow path to Wolvercote - today the variable weather mercifully keeping the parasites away. No roaming gangs of aggy youths, no morbidly obese women screaming at their toddlers as they try to smash discarded beer bottles on the banks of the river, no driveway-laying or tree-cutting company vehicles parked all over double yellow lines / causing an obstruction... All that said they left their mark - the week's litter apparently having already claimed the life of one cow with broken glass injuring 10 other cattle or horses. I struggle to find the words to describe how thoroughly ashamed I am to call myself human sometimes :sad:

Blissfully deserted banks and disappointed swans:

Image039(1).jpg

I wondered through town for a few miles and by the time I'd got back the ride amounted to a bit under 28 miles and 970ft at 13.3mph and 126bpm; the bulk of which being zone 2. Apparently I burned a little under 1200kcal, which should help offset the weekend's carb binge..

This week I've slipped; only having managed 113 miles. I'm on about 553 for the month (previous record 560) so depending on the weather might take tomorrow off and do a big one on Tuesday; being the last day of the month.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I decided to see how things would go after a week off with bug (not THE bug). I took a devious route including some rarely used bits of lanes to the chat at Upton. A torrent from the sky meant I had to shelter behind a big tree. The strong wind pushed the shower through after 5 minutes. 6 of us for chat by the river in Upton. Jules H has a nice new bike. Pete and I rode back together. All done at appropriate social distance. 25 smiles

Top Bottom