Building up the miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hudson1984

Über Member
seems similar to other threads that are now closed... but anyway.

go on "if it fits your macros" fill in some info and you'll get the below:

We show that you are a man with a goal weight of 73 kg.
Your BMR (and RMR) is 1773
This is the number of calories your body needs just to survive. This doesn't include any energy output whatsoever.
Your TDEE is 2747
This is the total number of calories you burn during your daily activity.
Your Weight Loss Calories are 2402
This is your TDEE, with a small percentage subtracted to trigger immediate fat loss.

Based on your age, height, weight, energy level & goal weight, these are your ideal macros:
Your Protein Grams: 107
Your Fat Grams: 54
Your Carb Grams: 372 (24-27 of which should be fiber)

I guessed at some of your info, so the above is a guide nothing more. But as @vickster said, you need fuel mate, 1000 calories will not give you the energy to work hard during your exercise. Look at the protein, that's loads more than you're getting.

but also as @Darius_Jedburgh said, it's down to what you want and how much you want it - I want a six pack, but I want a dominos more!

I'd recommend adding strength training to your routine, something like a 5x5 strongman would be an easy start, or just head over to Darebee and run some routines off there, muscle burns calories, meaning the more muscle you have the more calories you naturally burn. The aim here is to make your body a calorie burning machine.

but again, ride, eat sensibly, and you'll see the benefit. If you really want to go to the level of calorie counting and macro counting etc I think you'll get bored pretty quick unless you really want to make it your life - if you do then fair play, I sure as hell couldn't

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

@Darius_Jedburgh

You have mentioned that you still eat all of the “wrong stuff”. How heavy do you think you would be if you only ate healthy food?

I’ve never really been a big eater so cutting down on the calories is not making me feel hungry. I’ve already noticed a big change in one month - I don’t have a bloated belly anymore and I feel physically stronger. Little changes are making differences such as eating an orange rather than biscuits with a cup of coffee, etc. In all fairness, my bad eating habits only really occurred when I used to drink e.g. a big pizza, a kebab, etc. Now that I’ve cut the alcohol out altogether I’m not eating any real junk food.

The only thing I can think of that I have a little bit of that can be high in calories is coleslaw; I have ndwich consisting of wholemeal bread, one slice of ham and a tiny little bit of coleslaw. Nothing to worry about anyway.

I understand that it takes a while for anyone to gain weight so it’s going to be the exact same when anyone wants to lose weight then it’s going to take time. But, losing two pounds a week is over half a stone in a month so one should be able to see a difference in a few weeks’ time.

I’ve found that drinking a small glass of water before any food really helps me.

Some people are comfortable with only losing 1lb a week. However, I am not expecting to lose 15lb in a week, but I want to lose 2lb a week at least, 3lb would be even better. I’m not interested in only getting back to my old physique for a few weeks, I have decided to change my lifestyle for good and I want to consider cycling to be part of my lifestyle. Most importantly, I want to take care of my body and I have made a promise to myself that I shall not drink any alcohol until I have got down to at least 11 1/2 stone (my goal) and even then I shall only have a couple of pints with my old friend when having a few bets on some horses.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

seems similar to other threads that are now closed... but anyway.

go on "if it fits your macros" fill in some info and you'll get the below:

We show that you are a man with a goal weight of 73 kg.
Your BMR (and RMR) is 1773
This is the number of calories your body needs just to survive. This doesn't include any energy output whatsoever.
Your TDEE is 2747
This is the total number of calories you burn during your daily activity.
Your Weight Loss Calories are 2402
This is your TDEE, with a small percentage subtracted to trigger immediate fat loss.

Based on your age, height, weight, energy level & goal weight, these are your ideal macros:
Your Protein Grams: 107
Your Fat Grams: 54
Your Carb Grams: 372 (24-27 of which should be fiber)

I guessed at some of your info, so the above is a guide nothing more. But as @vickster said, you need fuel mate, 1000 calories will not give you the energy to work hard during your exercise. Look at the protein, that's loads more than you're getting.

but also as @Darius_Jedburgh said, it's down to what you want and how much you want it - I want a six pack, but I want a dominos more!

I'd recommend adding strength training to your routine, something like a 5x5 strongman would be an easy start, or just head over to Darebee and run some routines off there, muscle burns calories, meaning the more muscle you have the more calories you naturally burn. The aim here is to make your body a calorie burning machine.

but again, ride, eat sensibly, and you'll see the benefit. If you really want to go to the level of calorie counting and macro counting etc I think you'll get bored pretty quick unless you really want to make it your life - if you do then fair play, I sure as hell couldn't

Thank you for your help.

I hope you don’t find what you are going to read offensive, but when you mentioned that you want a six pack but you also want a pizza. I am the complete opposite to you - I am “like a dog with a bone”, I try my best to overcome any obstacles in the way of stopping me from achieving what I want e.g. cutting out alcohol altogether is very difficult for me because of how bad I was a little while ago.

I’m not sure that I need to go to the extent of counting everything, but I do feel safer to eat less than potentially eating more because I’ve read that one of the reasons some people struggle to lose weight is because they are unaware that they are eating too many calories.

Last edited:

Hudson1984

Über Member
Thank you for your help.

I hope you don’t find wha you are going to read offensive, but when you mentioned that you want a six pack but you also want a pizza. I am the complete opposite to you - I am “like a dog with a bone”, I try my best to overcome any obstacles in the way of stopping me from achieving what I want e.g. cutting out alcohol altogether is very difficult for me because of how bad I was a little while ago.

I’m not sure that I need to go to the extent of counting everything, but I do feel safer to eat less than potentially eating more because I’ve read that one of the reasons some people struggle to lose weight is because they are unaware that they are eating too many calories.

:laugh: of course it's offensive, you've taken a flippant comment made in jest as somehow a slur on my character...the point was, there's a balance to be struck, if you want a six pack (for example) you need to make the changes to do it, I'd like one but the sacrifices don't make it worth while...not sure it was a reflection on my thoughts towards "overcoming obstacles" it's more there is a balance in life and you have to find an equalibrium...

I think I need to stop reading your threads they do something to my brain....:laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
@LemonJuice Can I just observe that you seem to be massively overthinking this and once again seem to be going round in circles. I appreciate that you want answers but some of your questions are just bizarre:
LemonJuice said:
How heavy do you think you would be if you only ate healthy food?
:blink:

For what it's worth, my suggestion would be to eat sensibly and to ride your bike often. Not having read everything you've posted; are you able to cycle commute? If so, this is a good way of burning the calories. When I first started cycling to work I lost about 2 stone in just over six months doing a 7 mile round trip 5 days a week, and as long as I stay active it's stable at around that level still.

All this excessive analysing is coming across as though you are trying to wind people up, which we don't want to see. Will you think about your questions a little more carefully please.

CXRAndy

Guru
BMI is absolutely bullshit dont even refer to it. It was developed back in the fifties, has no relationship to body type.

Better indicators to correct weight is hip waist ratio. As long as your waist is less than hips you're doing ok.

Better still go and have professional body fat ratio measure done.

18-25% is fine for men, less for fit look

Upto 31% for women, less than 24% for fit look

bigjim

Legendary Member
I assume we all are aware that BMI is deeply flawed and not a reliable indicator. I'm 6'2" and 14.5 stone. My GP says I'm a healthy weight. Fitness and bellies? Ever seen a Silverback? Eats fruit and veg. Big fit and strong. Would tear you apart in seconds, hosts a great big belly and he gets all the girls.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've never lost weight cycling, stable but not lost any. Especially on the belly. I don't think cycling works the belly area that much. I ride with some really strong club riders. Older guys who have ridden all their lives. Very fit but most sport a good old belly. When running I can feel my belly working, the same as with breast stroke swimming. I've lost a lot of weight when I was running seriously, never cycling.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good morning everyone,

I have just weighed myself and I am 12 stone and 12 pounds. According to my maths, I am losing between 2-3 pounds every week.

I remember someone told me that one always loses a bit of weight rather quickly and then it becomes harder. Is that true? Weight/fat loss is just weight/fat loss, right? I want to lose another 1 1/2 stone so I’m aiming to have achieved that in about two and a half months.

I’ve not had any alcohol in over a month now and I drink a lot more water and the sizes of my meals are much smaller now.

I have a bowl of muesli with fat free yogurt or a bowl of porridge in the morning, a couple of hours later I eat 5-6 dates and for tea I have a salad with some chicken or fish.

With regards to exercise, I am going for a short ride in the morning (between 30-45 minutes), a daily walk that is about four or five miles and on the evening I go for a bike ride for about an hour.

An I going to continue to lose weight at the same pace I am at the moment?

My belly is not flat, but it is not bloated anymore and I can definitely see the difference between what it was like a month ago and now.

@LemonJuice sounds to me like you’re doing just fine At the moment, make it sustainable and long term. Well done!

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I've never lost weight cycling, stable but not lost any. Especially on the belly. I don't think cycling works the belly area that much. I ride with some really strong club riders. Older guys who have ridden all their lives. Very fit but most sport a good old belly. When running I can feel my belly working, the same as with breast stroke swimming. I've lost a lot of weight when I was running seriously, never cycling.

Depends on one’s diet more than anything.

As others have stated, you can’t outrun a bad diet.

boydj

Legendary Member
I think it would help if you were doing at least one longer cycle of at least 2 to 3 hours each week, to replace one of your regular cycles. This will help with your endurance fitness and should help with weight loss.

Hudson1984

Über Member
I think it also depends on the individual. I think it's also about portions, rather than so called bad food.

Totally correct, you can eat anything you like, it's all about moderation. One bad day doesn't make you obese.

when I set about loosing a load of weight quickly I was barely able to have a chicken breast as a portion! but of course going forward these portions were upped in line with targets at the time i.e. maintenance and muscle growth over weight/fat loss.

portion cups are pretty handy if you can't be bothered to weigh stuff. But even then it's a faff - common sense really is a good indicator of what the right choice is....unless you struggle with common sense.

Totally correct, you can eat anything you like, it's all about moderation. One bad day doesn't make you obese.

when I set about loosing a load of weight quickly I was barely able to have a chicken breast as a portion! but of course going forward these portions were upped in line with targets at the time i.e. maintenance and muscle growth over weight/fat loss.

portion cups are pretty handy if you can't be bothered to weigh stuff. But even then it's a faff - common sense really is a good indicator of what the right choice is....unless you struggle with common sense.
:okay::okay::okay:

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

I think it would help if you were doing at least one longer cycle of at least 2 to 3 hours each week, to replace one of your regular cycles. This will help with your endurance fitness and should help with weight loss.

Thanks for the advice.

I’m busy increasing the distance I ride by going in a loop and either taking the next turn so I do more distance or doing another lap of the loop. Not too far away from where I used to work there are quite a few hills so I’m thinking about aiming to cycle there and do a loop up and down the hills.

What are the best things to eat when going out for a little while? Would a bit of flapjack or a banana be ideal?

Top Bottom