Building up the miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

@alicat

I have already stated that I do apologise if I come across as a troll. I have no control what other people who are quite simply idiots do on this forum by posting BS, but I can assure you that I am genuine and I feel very confused and anxious about things.
I must ask you, if your patience ran out with my ages ago, why do you feel the need to personally insult me time and time again? I’ve never once personally attacked you or anyone else on this forum for that matter.

I understand that when it comes to pretty much anything that it’s better to walk before you can run and things take time.

I am not asking for sympathy for what I have gone through, the reasons why I used to drink so much, etc, but I would expect you to be able to understand that I just want to do my best to rectify the mess/problem I have got myself into and what I am not happy with at all. You can call it reassurance or whatever you want, but I just want to know that I am doing the right things and that I’m going to continue to lose weight so I can get back to being myself.

I’ve knocked the drinking on the head and believe me when I tell you that it’s been very difficult to go almost a month without any alcohol, especially with the current situation and how easy it is to just go to the local shop and buy a case of beer. At one point in my life, and I am quite embarrassed to admit it, but I put drink before anything or anyone else (including my wife!) and I used to go to the local pubs every day and then go home and drink until I fell asleep. I’m sure there will be one or two people on this forum who have experienced that sort of ‘stuck in a rut’ feeling. My mindset has totally changed from drinking to being physically fit and as soon as I wake up all I can think about is the day when I can ride 50 miles comfortably and so forth.

Whenever I look in the mirror in my bathroom and I feel ashamed and annoyed with myself because I don’t feel like myself anymore - I don’t recognise the person and I want to get back to being able to seeing the same person I was for thirty years.

Thus, I just want to be told that I am doing the right things to sustain the weight loss and get back to having a 28” waist again.

Believe me, I AM NOT A TROLL.

Hudson1984

Über Member
the trouble is @LemonJuice if you ask for advice you need to take it. Lots of your recent posts/threads are all quite circular, i.e. if you listened to the advice given you would have your answers and be able to get where you want to go.

what you're doing is great
and if you feel better for it even better

but 1 month is not a long time, it will take many months perhaps years to get to where you want to, there's always another milestone, always another target to set - if you only aim for the end you'll get there very quickly! you should be aiming for the journey, if you enjoy the journey everything else will fall into place.

to give a similar theory, Martial artist all aim for a blackbelt right?
In the west we all strive for that black belt - it's our goal "I want my black belt" "can't wait till I get my blackbelt" etc. etc.
and what happens when people get it? largely, they quit! there's nothing left to go for - of course some continue
However, in the east - japan etc, their mindset is very different. The aim isn't to HAVE a blackbelt it is to BE a blackbelt, it's to have the skills worthy of the rank, the aim is the discipline.

What I mean is, if your only aim is to be 2 stone lighter and 2" off your waist then you'll fail long term. You'll get there easily, especially on strict dieting and excercising. But then what? i'm sorry to say but you come across as a bit of a "candle that burns brightest burns shortest" kind of guy. This is your thing and you're going all in!

Weight/Diet/Body is a lifestyle choice. You can have whatever you want from it depending on the sacrifices you're prepared to make along the way.

sorry, very philosophical post from me but you really need to step back, think long term and enjoy the ride.

People on this forum (I do not include myself in this comment) have been cycling YEARS, DECADES even, they really do understand long term goalsetting even if the goal is a weekly club ride at 10mph. They've stuck at it and know how to stick at it.

just calm down a touch. you're getting great advice, but I agree with @alicat I'm afraid, it seems it's going in one ear and out the other. That's just how it's coming across.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
This is all getting a little bit unnecessary so I'm bringing it to a close.

To the OP: Much as I appreciate what you've said, people are going to get frustrated if you keep going round in circles and not appearing to take on board the advice that is given. Persisting in doing so does come across as trolling which is against the site rules.

To the rest of the membership: Would you please take a few moments to reread the rules and guidelines. If you think that someone is wilfully trolling then please bring it to the attention of the moderator team to deal with. Insults and backseat moderating are not only against the site rules but also make us appear unwelcoming to new members or casual browsers.

Thank you.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

Good morning everyone,

I have just weighed myself and I am 12 stone and 12 pounds. According to my maths, I am losing between 2-3 pounds every week.

I remember someone told me that one always loses a bit of weight rather quickly and then it becomes harder. Is that true? Weight/fat loss is just weight/fat loss, right? I want to lose another 1 1/2 stone so I’m aiming to have achieved that in about two and a half months.

I’ve not had any alcohol in over a month now and I drink a lot more water and the sizes of my meals are much smaller now.

I have a bowl of muesli with fat free yogurt or a bowl of porridge in the morning, a couple of hours later I eat 5-6 dates and for tea I have a salad with some chicken or fish.

With regards to exercise, I am going for a short ride in the morning (between 30-45 minutes), a daily walk that is about four or five miles and on the evening I go for a bike ride for about an hour.

An I going to continue to lose weight at the same pace I am at the moment?

My belly is not flat, but it is not bloated anymore and I can definitely see the difference between what it was like a month ago and now.

vickster

Legendary Member
You're not eating enough, doubt that's even a 1000kcal. Your losses so far will be fluid (hence less bloating), even you'll be losing muscle, your body is probably now in starvation mode, you may even start to gain weight again. Go back and read earlier replies, this has been addressed before for you :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

You're not eating enough, doubt that's even a 1000kcal. Your losses so far will be fluid (hence less bloating), even you'll be losing muscle, your body is probably now in starvation mode, you may even start to gain weight again. Go back and read earlier replies, this has been addressed before for you :okay:

Do you think I should go and buy a set of scales today and then I can work out how many calories I am consuming on a daily basis?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you think I should go and buy a set of scales today and then I can work out how many calories I am consuming on a daily basis?
If you want to weigh the food, yes - I only ever weigh pasta/rice personally

Myfitnesspal app will keep a record and add it all up for you too (bear in mind any calories burnt numbers are guesstimates)

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

If you want to weigh the food, yes - I only ever weigh pasta/rice personally

Myfitnesspal app will keep a record and add it all up for you too (bear in mind any calories burnt numbers are guesstimates)

At the moment, I drink a glass of water before any food so I feel quite full after food. I don’t have any belly fat hanging over my jeans and I feel in really good shape compared to just a few weeks ago. I’m pretty chuffed with myself for being able to cut all alcohol out.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
How tall are you LJ, sorry if you've already said earlier [haven't read all 10 pages!]

If you've lost 2/3 pounds a week and now weigh 12st 12 you must've only been 13st 6 or so a month ago when you started?

I say 'only' because I was 14st 10 in February and have been determined to lose 1 or 2 pounds a week since and now weigh 13st 5, with ideally, another stone to go. I don't have a 'diet', I just eat less of what I normally eat and make sure I exercise regularly... cycling has got much easier not carrying 9 bags of sugar everywhere!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
At the moment, I drink a glass of water before any food so I feel quite full after food. I don’t have any belly fat hanging over my jeans and I feel in really good shape compared to just a few weeks ago. I’m pretty chuffed with myself for being able to cut all alcohol out.
Are you monitoring the actual nutrition in what you eat, for example quality protein, plus vitamins, minerals, all that stuff needed to stay healthy Are you having your five a day (doesn't sound like it), raisins in the muesli don't count, dates don't count (they're mostly sugar, and vile tasting to boot xx(), you need a mix of fruit and veg, especially green and leafy)?
If you aren't having enough protein for example, your body will use muscle for fuel which probably isn't what you are seeking (you'll lose weight though)

6'3" and 12 stone 12 pounds doesn't sound excessively overweight.
I'm 6'2" and weigh just over 12 stone. BMI is 21.5, bang in the middle of the healthy range.

Top Bottom