Building up the miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

31 W 33 L, quite hard to find.

Thank you for telling me.

The reason I asked is because I’m 6’3 and up until a little while ago I was a 28” waist, I am now a 30” waist and I’m trying to get back to a 28” waist. I need to lose around 20 pounds for me to be back to the size I was a little while ago.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thank you for telling me.

The reason I asked is because I’m 6’3 and up until a little while ago I was a 28” waist, I am now a 30” waist and I’m trying to get back to a 28” waist. I need to lose around 20 pounds for me to be back to the size I was a little while ago.
I'm up to a 32" waist but still got 34" inseam, this fits me nicely.

Hudson1984

Über Member
If you’re that keen go to iifym- if it fits your macros.
I mean (I’m being rude here) you sound a bit ocd which is fine if you want to count macros and macros but geez mate that’s no life!
When I got married I wanted to lose some weight, managed nearly 3 stone in two months - to do that I trained HARD and ate absolutely spot on the requirements to do it.
the nutrition needs to change in line with the changes in your body I.e what you eat week 1 will change by week 10.
did I stick to it? Hell no! I like pizza too much.
Now, I need to drop some wait, I’ve a little boy who wants daddy to play - but I’m not intending to stress over it, decent protein, less crap and more focused exercise. Job done

Mr Whyte

I must be one of the lucky ones, as I can eat any sort of food and any thing but not put on any weight at all. If and when I drink that is a total different kettle of fish, so when I get a beer belly it`s time for some crunches.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Roger Longbottom said:
I eat loads of junk food, drink loads of beer

So do I and I don't give a shoot. I just eat and drink the stuff I enjoy the taste of and I couldn't care less how much fat, salt or sugar it's got in it. It's the fact that I'm on my feet all day plus going out for rides when I'm not working that allows me to do this without gaining weight. I have lost a few pounds over the last couple of years, but I regard any weight loss as a bonus. I'm about the same size as @Roger Longbottom but the last time I weighed myself I was 14 st 2 lb. My ideal max weight would be about 13 st 7 lb. Technically, this is a bit overweight on BMI, but BMI is cobblers for anyone who does physical work. Body shape is a far better indication of whether you could do with losing a few pounds.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

When it comes to actually losing weight, is it better to go on just a strict diet without any exercise or go on a strict diet with exercise?

I know that cycling will tone one’s leg muscles, but what about the belly and upper parts of the body?

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

So do I and I don't give a shoot. I just eat and drink the stuff I enjoy the taste of and I couldn't care less how much fat, salt or sugar it's got in it. It's the fact that I'm on my feet all day plus going out for rides when I'm not working that allows me to do this without gaining weight. I have lost a few pounds over the last couple of years, but I regard any weight loss as a bonus. I'm about the same size as @Roger Longbottom but the last time I weighed myself I was 14 st 2 lb. My ideal max weight would be about 13 st 7 lb. Technically, this is a bit overweight on BMI, but BMI is cobblers for anyone who does physical work. Body shape is a far better indication of whether you could do with losing a few pounds.

I don’t mean to offend you here, but how much do you think you would weigh if you did care about what you ate and drank?

MntnMan62

Über Member
What if you switch it around and normally treat yourself but every now and then eat in moderation? Is that bad?

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

MntnMan62, on a serious note, my stomach has gone down so much and I’m not considered overweight according to my BMI, but I want to go from 13 stone (my current weight) to 11 1/2 stone, the weight I was for about thirty years before I lost my job and I began to drink heavily and eat crap every day.

I understand that it’s going to take time, but I already know that I’m making progress because the jeans I had to buy are now loose and I’m feeling healthier in general. Up until a few weeks ago I used to still drink a few cans of lager on a weekend and I’ve stopped it. I didn’t realise how important it was to cut out all of the empty calories.

MntnMan62

Über Member
MntnMan62, on a serious note, my stomach has gone down so much and I’m not considered overweight according to my BMI, but I want to go from 13 stone (my current weight) to 11 1/2 stone, the weight I was for about thirty years before I lost my job and I began to drink heavily and eat crap every day.

I understand that it’s going to take time, but I already know that I’m making progress because the jeans I had to buy are now loose and I’m feeling healthier in general. Up until a few weeks ago I used to still drink a few cans of lager on a weekend and I’ve stopped it. I didn’t realise how important it was to cut out all of the empty calories.

I can relate. And that's why I'm trying to watch what I eat. The biggest change I'm trying to make is to reduce my carbohydrates and sugar intake. I don't want to become diabetic. And I too need to lose the tire around my waist. I weighed 225 lbs. at my heaviest and as of yesterday morning I was 209. My goal is to get myself under 200 lbs. by the end of July. I haven't been that weight in ages. But my weight started to balloon when the stress of my high powered job began to take its toll on me. Then I lost that high powered job after 10 years. I really should be down around 175 or 180. Maybe even 170. But I need to take this one step at a time. My first goal is to hit 205. Then I'll know I should be able to see 199.

MntnMan62

Über Member
When it comes to actually losing weight, is it better to go on just a strict diet without any exercise or go on a strict diet with exercise?

I know that cycling will tone one’s leg muscles, but what about the belly and upper parts of the body?

I'm just now seeing this post. Dude. Cycling will allow you to burn calories. You need to burn more calories per day than you take in if you expect to lose weight. So exercise will make your dieting easier. In addition, the "tone" you mention in your legs is actually called building muscle. And muscle burns more calories during normal daily activities than fat. So, the more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn during the day. See how it all works together? I said what I'm doing from a diet perspective but I'm trying to ramp up my cycling and exercise as well. I'm trying to get out on the bike 3 times a week and am doing around 50 to 60 miles a week. That's not a lot but it is for me since I've only begun biking again about a month and a half ago. And there are lots of hills near me. Each 20 miles gives me about 1,300 ft of elevation gain. In addition, I'm trying to strengthen my core which I've far too long neglected. So I'm doing push ups, bicycle crunches and planks. I'm trying to do those twice a week. So that gives me about 5 days a week of exercise. In reality I should be doing even more. But ya gotta start somewhere, right?

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Good grief. You've chosen to or wilfully ignored absolutely everything that anyone has advised over weeks and pages and pages of good advice.

This is trolling.

Top Bottom