Buildings, new or old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
on the other hand, I live in a Victorian terrace built c1900... the exterior walls are lovely blocks of stone. The interior walls are boulders, rubble and cement, skimmed with plaster. They're an absolute PITA to drill into; you either get crumbling rubble that won't hold a rawplug, or an impenetrable boulder that destroys masonry bits. At least with plasterboard there's gonna be joists behind it.
I've lived in a poorly built plasterboard box for the past 30yrs and you do get used to having to search for secure fixing points but you never get used to the hollow thuds when a door is closed or the noise that passes through wafer thin walls (the washing machine sounds like something taking off in the kitchen at times) but 'as in my own case' that may be the only property within your price range at the time of making your first purchase, and being young you are not likely to have much experience or knowledge of such matters either.. Give me something old with character anyday (Georgian 3 storey Terrace, Old Railway Station House, Windmill, Barn etc..) but unless you're loaded and have a partner that shares your passion then sadly you can end up stuck where you are forever.. I like watching the beautiful buildings on Grand Designs right up to the point when some fool plonks a UPVC and Glass box with a viewing platform on the top of it :eek:

You can build good new properties but it costs lots more. Just watch Grand Designs to see how expensive a well built beautiful building costs.
As a rule, all of the Grand Designs are prototypes but no lessons are ever learned, there is no improved mk11 and they never go into serial production. Of course they are expensive.
The German system houses are an exception.
If we wanted to build quality houses at reasonable prices we could but there is no demand. Most of the value is in the land not the build. People dont value a quality structure, they will buy any old stick and nail built house with a brick facade.
The exceptional Norwich council housing that won a Stirling prize is exceptional
Esp with mass housing we are building slums of the future.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've lived in various iterations of old and variously picturesque houses since my youth
Always renting since I left home.

300+ yr old cob cottages are cute to look at, and well insulated in some ways .
As are Victorian farmhouses, railway cottages etc etc , done all them too.

But there's also tiny windows and many generations of rat runs in the walls.

Damp running down the walls of the badly build brick extensions

Windows that don't shut properly.

Dodgy plumbing, electrics, heating systems, and poorly insulated roofs..

Dry rot etc etc..

They cost lots to maintain properly.

Agree much modern housing is built shoddily , but they're 'thrown up' by the multiple builders, who will never have to live in them.

Give individuals a chance to build their own homes, on properly planned new development sites, (even via a third party builder) you'll probs get a much better quality, and more aesthetic build , cheaper for the occupants possibly, and it builds community right there, as people plan to stay a while in their own creation .

Unfortunately the UK planning system, and grip of big builders on the market majorly disallows this .

I'm currently living in a trailer / park home , which is mostly fine really except for the thin walls.

Hoping to build something more permanent soon, under agricultural tie conditions.

It will be of the more open plan 'Scandi style' wooden clad, lots of light and space, big windows on the south side..

Well designed, easy to heat and clean, and live in, just big enough, but nothing too fancy or expensive.

(I've never watched Grand Designs, and don't intend to start)

Lucky position to be in, yes I know.

But Tbh it's 'luck' born of working my @rriss off, year in year out, and jumping through multiple planning hoops for the last few decades, to get to this position.

stephec

Legendary Member
Depends what you mean by 'modern'? What about this 1926 house in Northampton?
View attachment 596047
View attachment 596048
View attachment 596049
Not all that many 'modern' houses around that have some soul, the repetitive spec housing estates are built to incredibly tight budgets, so function and affordability win the day.
Deco's still the best looking architectural design, I'd love an art deco house but unfortunately there are so many other people that want one as well that they'll never be affordable.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ours was built 1950.
Ex RAF officer housing.
Built to withstand earthquakes. All exterior walls are reinforced. Every internal wall is solid brick.
Large rooms eg lounge is 20 x 15.
Windows thoùgh are way too small :sad:.
Been here since 1982 and although a smaller bungalow type would suit I can't see us moving.

Deco's still the best looking architectural design, I'd love an art deco house but unfortunately there are so many other people that want one as well that they'll never be affordable.
Yes, that house, by Peter Behrens is Grade II* and probably worth around £1m.
For me modernism starts during the peak of Victorian gothic. Forster house, Bedford Park 1891 by Voysey ....

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Love Gothic Victorian style and conversely, self build eco houses from recycled bits and bobs.

Drago

Legendary Member
Depends what you mean by 'modern'? What about this 1926 house in Northampton?
View attachment 596047
View attachment 596048
View attachment 596049
Not all that many 'modern' houses around that have some soul, the repetitive spec housing estates are built to incredibly tight budgets, so function and affordability win the day.
Isn't that the John Rennie Mackintosh bblokes gaff? Ridden last thqt many a time but never stopped for a nosey as its not the most salubrious part of town.

gbb

Legendary Member
Mine was built in the late 60s, one of thousands built by the Peterborough Development Corparation, it's relatively soulless but well built, very low maintenance and warm.
I had a colleague who lived in a Victorian terrace just off the city centre, he warned me, dont ever buy a Victorain house , you're never done working on them and everything rock solid and a bugger to take down.
Swings and roundabouts ?

my front windows are still going strong after 120 years... if only the painters didn't keep painting the sashes shut, they'd all still open too :whistle:
Painting sashes shut is draught proofing I think you'll find - you'd not want heating with a flame (as you'd likely die), but normal central heating, even modern air/ground source really works so much better without draughts.

My dream home now is a far cry from my dream home of 40 years ago. Gone are the French windows, gardens, conservatory, ornamental pond, double brick, 2 story with history and depth in design in a semi rural setting.

I think it is more to do with the fast evolving world.

I will be delighted now with a new build 2nd floor 2 bed apartment in a low rise building. 3 Streets behind high street in a town that is well served by tube and rail and has a huge expanse of feature filled land such as forest, rivers and small farms nearby. I can walk or cycle into town for coffee and pastry, do the daily supermarket run for freshness, and meeting friends.

Funnily I moved away from house having character to the area I live having character - the town, the shops, the surrounding environment etc. Maybe because I like seeing people and that I love the outdoors.

I seen some of these new apartments and they well designed, functional, great kitchen, access to high speed broad band, bike racks on the wall etc.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Painting sashes shut is draught proofing I think you'll find - you'd not want heating with a flame (as you'd likely die), but normal central heating, even modern air/ground source really works so much better without draughts.
...or lazy painters who can't be arsed to do the job properly.

Top Bottom