Buildings, new or old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
And if you don’t like the sandblasting tough don’t look at it and stop being so nosey
You can't exactly miss it!! It stands out like a sore thumb!!🧐

gbb

Legendary Member
on the other hand, I live in a Victorian terrace built c1900... the exterior walls are lovely blocks of stone. The interior walls are boulders, rubble and cement, skimmed with plaster. They're an absolute PITA to drill into; you either get crumbling rubble that won't hold a rawplug, or an impenetrable boulder that destroys masonry bits. At least with plasterboard there's gonna be joists behind it.
For houses, comfortable, warm ones, dry lined is brilliant. Mine is 50 years old and still gives no problems, no damp, warm, easy to decorate and the interior still looks ok .
A former colleague of mine had a house built right at the end of the Victorian era, he told me, never ever buy one, nightmare to work on, dust dust dust everywhere evertime you did anything structural, hard as stone to work with, just a mare.
Public buildings on the otherhand should be strong, imposing, the victorian, Edwardian era looks are perfect.

Horses for courses, one mans meat....

Last edited:
That's perfect!
Yes, and it was on sale in 2019. To be honest it was famous when built as this magazine shows.
3d5f58fd2008c809884041e6a18eb29e.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This is the marketing for my house back in the 30’s.
I bet you didn’t know that I live in the “health resort of London”

Less than £600 for a family home. View attachment 634958 View attachment 634957
Such idyls!

I'm sure they are, I like buildings with character and history but it doesn't really matter what I like and if people want to live in houses with plastic windows or pretend features that's all well and good.
Give me a draughty, cold, expensive to run house with original features any day.
Yes but some are not boring and really great ... this was up for the Stirling prize in 2019. Its better than my than my draughty victorian house and has more character.

Attachments

• Cork House2926Magnus  DennisWEBIMAGE9jpg.jpg
    Cork House2926Magnus DennisWEBIMAGE9jpg.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 7

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm sure they are, I like buildings with character and history but it doesn't really matter what I like and if people want to live in houses with plastic windows or pretend features that's all well and good.
Give me a draughty, cold, expensive to run house with original features any day.
you are aware that people have the right to choose what's right for them in life whether its football teams, houses, jobs, cars etc etc and not all of them will be the same choices as yours??.......

it does seem to me that you're against anything that you doesn't fit your own ideals

Top Bottom