Buildings, new or old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
1627338908320.png

It's not a great pic'(looks more a painting), but it's the only one i could find online. Anyway, here's the building after an extension was added and the building was sand blasted the other day.
The building belonged to an elderly woman who died the other year. Whoever bought it has been living in a caravan for over a year while the house has been transformed.

https://themovemarket.com/tools/propertyprices/allsprings-lodge-allsprings-drive-blackburn-bb6-7rn

The JVC digger thingy has been rusting in that field for 30 years that I know of.:smile:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
View attachment 601145
It's not a great pic'(looks more a painting), but it's the only one i could find online. Anyway, here's the building after an extension was added and the building was sand blasted the other day.
The building belonged to an elderly woman who died the other year. Whoever bought it has been living in a caravan for over a year while the house has been transformed.

https://themovemarket.com/tools/propertyprices/allsprings-lodge-allsprings-drive-blackburn-bb6-7rn

View attachment 601147

View attachment 601148

View attachment 601149

View attachment 601150

View attachment 601152

The JVC digger thingy has been rusting in that field for 30 years that I know of.:smile:
Lovely little house... but it's the sort of house I'd rather live opposite to, then in.

Can't beat a bit of deco.
Quite surprisingly there's a few around here, or 'British Moderne' (influenced)

It's just such a surprise where it is, surrounded by rows of 'red brick terraces'

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2021798

Wakefield Bus Station (the old one, now demolished) was good & sadly only missed after demolition
There's uncountable local inhabitants once met 'under the clock'

In fact, I first met the girl who became my wife there
She was sat with Jane, a girl that I knew
85221332_2756539664425299_7942162955787829248_o.jpg

Leeds Bus Stations were the same
Both the big one (KirkGate Market) & Vicar Lane ('red')
I certainly remember it in use, when I worked in Leeds
'Vicar Lane', & Lady Lane, running off to the right

8d2697a3527b1fd8e661faf5317f7d06.jpg

'Main' bus-station
Between KirkGate Market & St Peters Street (Playhouse)

c883117c9de7d7e3ad0b56f3beb10de4.jpg

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Lovely little house... but it's the sort of house I'd rather live opposite to, then in.
I checked the price, if I sold now can afford it. Pity they had to sandblast it, takes years to build up algae/lichen/muck like that on stone....:laugh:. Still, I expect it had to match the extension. This is my fantasy pad....but preferably in Scotland once free from the Tories & back in the EU:whistle:.
On the other hand, bet its a bugger to heat in winter. Our office is in an old Victorian school, stone, so heats up in summer, gets pretty chilly in winter.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Pity they had to sandblast it, takes years to build up algae/lichen/muck like that on stone....:laugh:.
When the extension was finished me and a few others who 'hang out' in the adjoining park wondered if the owner would leave the old bit as it was. I was the only one who said he'd have it all sandblasted. At least the extension matches the old bit,as in they did very well to put those old style arched windows in.
When my local pub had new windows fitted for its 100 years 'birthday' in 2004,they fitted white plastic windows!:ohmy:
Why they didn't have dark brown wooden frames i don't know (probably too expensive), but white plastic frames on a pub that boasts an Art Nouveau feel just isn't right!:thumbsdown:

Today's price

£226,000
Last sold: October 2019 @ £227,000

I wonder if 'today's price' takes into account the expensive extension? If it does then the house is worth less than it was before being done up!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When the extension was finished me and a few others who 'hang out' in the adjoining park wondered if the owner would leave the old bit as it was. I was the only one who said he'd have it all sandblasted. At least the extension matches the old bit,as in they did very well to put those old style arched windows in.
When my local pub had new windows fitted for its 100 years 'birthday' in 2004,they fitted white plastic windows!:ohmy:
Why they didn't have dark brown wooden frames i don't know (probably too expensive), but white plastic frames on a pub that boasts an Art Nouveau feel just isn't right!:thumbsdown:
One of my pet peeves - Just got back from deepest Darzet...it's amazing how many of those chocolate box cottages have been (to my eye) totally ruined by the installation of cheap plastic windows. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
View attachment 601145

View attachment 601147

View attachment 601148

View attachment 601149

View attachment 601150

View attachment 601152

Looks like a converted church. Lots are now being changed for habitation. Could have been a school?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Looks like a converted church. Lots are now being changed for habitation. Could have been a school?
Maybe either at one point,though it was originally the house for the bloke who looked after the park when the park was first opened in 1920. The old women who lived in up till her death (aged 95) a few years ago owned it when i was a young child and that's 50 odd years ago.

Zimbob

Über Member
I love a bit of Deco/Moderne, grew up in a 30s Deco villa... It was a great place in some ways, good room sizes, lots of natural light due to lots of glazing, flat roofs and a balcony so great for sunbathing, solid brick construction throughout. Downsides included the flat roofs having to be replaced, and the Crittal steel windows were single-glazed, so inefficient, and they had a habit of cracking panes in the winter owing to movement... Loved that house though 😀

henrietta

View attachment 601145

View attachment 601147

View attachment 601148

View attachment 601149

View attachment 601150

View attachment 601152

What are you doing taking pictures of our home and then posting them on line this is an invasion of our privacy.And if you don’t like the sandblasting tough don’t look at it and stop being so nosey

henrietta

Maybe either at one point,though it was originally the house for the bloke who looked after the park when the park was first opened in 1920. The old women who lived in up till her death (aged 95) a few years ago owned it when i was a young child and that's 50 odd years ago.
No it was never a church or a school,it was the gatehouse for Allsprings house

henrietta

No Jessie was 98 when she died,and she used to be the mayor of Hyndburn

Top Bottom