Builds, rebuilds to modifications plans for 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have, after much internal debate of do I buy a new tourer like Genesis or something similar before realising that my trusty Rayleigh Royal frame is perfect for me just needs to be powder coated in matt black so I am going to do new mavics, dynamo hub and new chainset and gears and quality lights.
Fair to assume that the genesis will have a sloping top tube and the raleigh a horizontal one? Maybe not an issue for you.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm tempted to buy my neighbour's Claud Butler Black Diamond 531st bike. He has had it from new and cycled maybe 100,000 miles on it. Not surprisingly the rims are worn out!

I am only hesitating because I can see myself spending £200-300 on a bike that will only be worth £100 when I have finished, and I'm not sure how much use I would have for it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Having got the Revell mixte up and running, the next project should really be to strip it back down to the frame and really make it look nice.
Other than that, nothing.
Might sell the rigid Trek mtb...
That's what I did with my first build, my Marin.

Built it, rode it, loved it, rebuilt it with confidence and pleasure, knowing I could.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Ribble 653 is coming on. Painting finished, now sat curing in the bedroom. All the Shimano 600 components have had a good clean, and are ready to go back on. New saddle, cables, bar tape, seat post etc, will all be going on. The frame transfers are in the post !

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
My Ribble 653 is coming on. Painting finished, now sat curing in the bedroom. All the Shimano 600 components have had a good clean, and are ready to go back on. New saddle, cables, bar tape, seat post etc, will all be going on. The frame transfers are in the post !

What wheelset are you using?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm thinking of doing a project with my Alpinestars MTB. In 25 years its never had a full strip and rebuild, so is overdue. While its apart im going to redo the paint myself in this lovely copper hammered paint I've seen, and then rebuild it with north road bars as a kind of go anywhere comfort bike.
(I had to look up what north road bars were!)

A friend did something very similar. He stripped down an old mountain bike and converted it to singlespeed using a chain tensioner. North road bars, no suspension, big semi-slick tyres, mudguards, comfy saddle.

He uses it for trips to the shops, and cruising about on towpaths and cycleways in the summer with his wife, who has a similar bike for casual rides.

So, I started the switch from Shimano Dura-Ace to Campagnolo C-Record mentioned above.

Tools required for removal of Shimano Dura-Ace:
  • 5mm allen key
  • 8mm allen key
  • Cup of tea
Tools required for installation of Campagnolo C Record:
  • 5mm allen key
  • 6mm allen key
  • 7mm allen key
  • 3.5mm allen key
  • Yeti jawbone
  • Micrometer
  • Several cups of coffee
Luckily I had a jawbone and a micrometer lying around, but seriously, 3.5mm and 7mm allen keys?! None of the many sets I've acquired over the years have those sizes, and they're not close enough to an Imperial equivalent. So I've now got one of each, specifically bought for this, taped to the inside of my toolbox. Never needed them before and will probably only ever need them for this groupset.

Gawd bless Campagnolo :rolleyes:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've got a 531ST frameset that's badly in need of a repaint and rebuild, probably involving Celeste, downtube levers and a bit of a retro look.
I'd like to get an old Moulton - an 'in need of rebuild' job. I saw a few on the Bay of E, but the sales were cancelled as we went into lockdown.
I also have nascent ideas for a Eurostar-compatible road bike. The frame will split in two, just forward of the BB and around the seat tube /top tube / seat stay interface, and use the seatpin as a structural member with multiple seatclamps. I might need to do a few spotwelds for that...

Top Bottom