Bullhorns with fixies?

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Alan O, 13 Sep 2017.

1. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

I see a lot of fixed-wheel bikes with bullhorn bars, and (as I'm building one myself and haven't decided on what bars to use) I'm wondering why they're so popular.

I understand the liking for different handlebar styles (and I've tried a few varieties myself on various bikes), but is there anything specific that makes bullhorns especially suitable for fixies?

2. Broadside

Broadside Veteran

They look a bit cool if that's your thing. My fixed gear bike came with them, they're nice for a change but offer far fewer riding positions than drop handle bars. I have considered putting full drop bars on mine.

3narf and Alan O like this.
  3. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

I like the look of them but I have built a couple of fixie's and use compact drop bars, I always use two brakes as riding on the hoods is my favourite position, if your only using one small brake lever on the straight bit of the bars they are probably more suitable.

Alan O likes this.
  4. I had bullhorns on my last fixie, they were ok, but I prefer straight bars.

I trimmed my current pair down to 350mm so I could get through traffic easier

Alan O likes this.
  5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

I've tried them on gears and fixed and returned to drop bars. Just couldn't get on with them.
    The fixie thing is just fashion.

Alan O likes this.
  6. T4tomo

T4tomo Über Member

I just sorting a fixie too. I'm going bull bars (will prob flip and saw the drops) as its for commutting in town so bulls give a better heads up hands covering brakes position than riding on drops or hoods.

7. OP
    OP
    Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Thanks folks. I can certainly see the point of bullhorns for city commuting.

My default was likely to be drops (which I already have) unless I found a reason for something else. The bike will be just for leisure riding and I'll have two brakes on it, and I ride on the hoods a lot on road bikes, so I think it will have to be the drops.

8. FishFright

FishFright More wheels than sense

Ive got them on my single speed and I'm really enjoying them at the moment but if it turns into a commuter bike then I'll probably change to something else

Alan O likes this.
  9. 3narf

3narf For whom the bell dings

What he said. They do look quite neat and minimalist but it's largely form over function.

I think with single speed bikes there's a tendency to over simplify and dumb them down. A single gear doth not a one-trick pony make! ;)

Alan O likes this.
  10. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Veteran

They solve the problem of where to rest your hands on a fixie with only one brake lever (an alternative is to butcher the LH lever so just the body and hood are kept).

On singlespeeds you probably won't have a big enough gear to use the drops, so bullhorns also make sense.

11. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

I can't ever imagine needing the drops on a fixie or ss.

12. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

I don't understand this, what do you mean ? you can use the drops in any gear as an alternative position.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2017
  13. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I like em but not just on 'fixies'

DSCN0129.JPG

14. My old fixie....with bullhorns

14054917_10154543821229198_4659721182986148991_n.jpg

MrGrumpy, Alan O and Tin Pot like this.
  15. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

The bull horns are essentially the hoods - with no drops.

You don't need the drops on a fixie, so you don't put drops on. It's kind backwards logic to think that horns need to be justified - it's the other way around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice