Bullhorns with fixies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
They solve the problem of where to rest your hands on a fixie with only one brake lever (an alternative is to butcher the LH lever so just the body and hood are kept).
I get that, but I'll have two.

On singlespeeds you probably won't have a big enough gear to use the drops, so bullhorns also make sense.
That I don't get, because I don't see drops as being only for speed - I use them frequently when cruising as just a change of hand position, and when climbing.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'd gear a singlespeed for 18 mph, not as high as a fixie (spinning out on downhills not being a concern) so aerodynamics don't come into it as much.

Tin Pot

Guru
That does not seem at all obvious to me - would you be kind enough to explain why not? (I've never seen drops as a "need" anyway, just as a preference)

That's probably it then - rather than get into an argument here, have a Google around for what need drops are designed to meet, and look at the kind of riding you do on a fixed gear bike. The two don't match, and that's all there is to it.
:smile:

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
That's probably it then - rather than get into an argument here, have a Google around for what need drops are designed to meet, and look at the kind of riding you do on a fixed gear bike. The two don't match, and that's all there is to it.
:smile:
Oh no, I wasn't wanting an argument, just explanation and understanding - after having used drops for more than 20 years and being very familiar with them, Googling the needs they are designed to meet will not enlighten me. If you don't want to explain what you mean further and you're sure "that's all there is to it", that's fine - and I thank for your unhelpful cryptic comments anyway :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
Oh no, I wasn't wanting an argument, just explanation and understanding - after having used drops for more than 20 years and being very familiar with them, Googling the needs they are designed to meet will not enlighten me. If you don't want to explain what you mean further and you're sure "that's all there is to it", that's fine - and I thank for your unhelpful cryptic comments anyway :smile:
And still finds a way to argue. Whatever.

D

Deleted member 1258

The bull horns are essentially the hoods - with no drops.

You don't need the drops on a fixie, so you don't put drops on. It's kind backwards logic to think that horns need to be justified - it's the other way around.

You've baffled me with that one as well, my current fixed has drops, my previous fixed had bullhorns, I like both types of handlebars, but the drops have more hand positions available.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They solve the problem of where to rest your hands on a fixie with only one brake lever (an alternative is to butcher the LH lever so just the body and hood are kept).

On singlespeeds you probably won't have a big enough gear to use the drops, so bullhorns also make sense.
or have 2 brakes on a fixie

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
or have 2 brakes on a fixie
Yes, two is the number of the brakes I will have :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, two is the number of the brakes I will have :smile:

I've always run two brakes on my fixed, it gets used as a winter bike and is often ridden when it's slippery, the back brake allows me to stay away from the front brake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tin Pot

Guru
I am another one lost by this - I use the drops on my fixed gear pretty much every ride.

I didn't say that you couldn't?

This is one of those topics where the engineering is clear, but everyone else gets very upset for non-engineering reasons. Do what though wilst, but there is no need for drops on a fixie. I like French cuffs on my shirts, but I'm not going to tell anyone they're needed.

D

Deleted member 1258

I didn't say that you couldn't?

This is one of those topics where the engineering is clear, but everyone else gets very upset for non-engineering reasons. Do what though wilst, but there is no need for drops on a fixie. I like French cuffs on my shirts, but I'm not going to tell anyone they're needed.

Yes, we know what you think, but you haven't explained why? And whats this engineering? I haven't seen it.

Top Bottom