Bullhorns with fixies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XC26

I'm all for bullhorns at the moment. Spent many years on drops in the 70s and 80s, moved to flats in the 90s and 00s (getting older) and now I'm obsessing over bulls (mispent youth). I like a bike to look good as well as ride good and bulls look good - as someone once said, they're 'bad ass'. I have 2 machines with bulls, one with brake levers near the stem and the other with bar end levers. I prefer the bar end type as I ride mostly holding the bar ends and appreciate the brake levers close by.

Any weight obsessives with drops, who ride mostly on the hoods, should consider sawing off the drops to convert to bulls and save a few grams.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Ditto
What size is that chainring?:eek:
EDIT: Just seen the reply above - bloody hell!!

mangid

Guru
Have drops on mine,

upload_2017-9-22_15-34-8.png

Ability to move hands around on long rides is definitely appreciated, and going down on the drops when pushing hard definitely helps.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Drops on my fixed gear - classic looks and for me they're the most comfortable option.

I don't know about others, but I probably find I use the drops on my fixed gear *more* than on my other bikes, because it encourages lots of high effort sprints to make it up the many short sharp hills around me. Gutted I can't ride that bike (or my other road bikes) at the moment after a rib injury, since the saddle to bar drop is way too much (reduced to pootling around on my sit-up-and-beg SS) :sad:

zigzag

Veteran
likewise, drops are great when sprinting out of saddle up the hills, when riding into headwind and just as a nice alternative position for cruising. i had bullhorns before and they're ok-ish, but not as versatile as drop bars.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Love my bullhorns on my Boardman and have done some big 100+ rides with them and felt no pain or discomfort. The bike originally came with drops and they were aweful for me, just do not like the position of them.

bungyb69

I love my fixie with bullhorns exactly what I wanted! Lots of different positions when riding

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_123020.jpg
    IMG_20200703_123020.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom