Burnley area - what is there to see/do on a Saturday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Nice thoughts @Darius_Jedburgh - Hardcastle Crags/Heptonstall are almost half-way home and I've been to the crags before.

So far a late breakfast plus a walk up Pendle Hill seem sensible, aiming to be back down in Barley when the riders pass through between am/pm sites. Then an afternoon perusing a bike shop near Colne possibly.

Just why they can't go in a straight line between Burnley & Colne explains who's running it - it's the new British Cycling NW Academy pilot programme for promising riders who didn't make the GB cycling team programme or, in my son's case, aren't eligible because they're not British.

Last edited:
Nice thoughts @Darius_Jedburgh - Hardcastle Crags/Heptonstall are almost half-way home and I've been to the crags before.
Sorry. I'm trying. Very trying according to SWMBO.

What about The Singing Ringing Tree up on Crown Point?

There's a bit (a lot) of photoshop in there. But it will be singing and is quite eerie.
You could try The Halo at Haslingden. That is better at night and might be too close to home for you.

If it were me, I would drop son off, find a pub/bike cafe and order a full English to fuel you up, then go and do some retail shopping at somewhere like Go Outdoors, ASICS and get some new kit for cycling and running, head over to the hill with a £3 meal deal, watch son climb hill and then walk up hill and down to car then pick son up.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Get yourself over to Accrington and have a shop at @Accy cyclist vintage emporium.

I would, but don't own a blazer, boater or cravat :okay:

What about The Singing Ringing Tree up on Crown Point?

There's a bit (a lot) of photoshop in there. But it will be singing and is quite eerie.
You could try The Halo at Haslingden. That is better at night and might be too close to home for you.

A bit close to home but I do like that. :becool: If I don't get there it's noted for a future visit.

If it were me, I would drop son off, find a pub/bike cafe and order a full English to fuel you up, then go and do some retail shopping at somewhere like Go Outdoors, ASICS and get some new kit for cycling and running, head over to the hill with a £3 meal deal, watch son climb hill and then walk up hill and down to car then pick son up.

I think that's the 'sort of' plan. Breakfast, slow walk up Pendle hill and back as he's passing. Then toddle off elsewhere and go to collect him later.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Burnley Embankment on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal is supposed to be one of the Seven Wonders of the canal world.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Or drive to nearby Clitheroe. It's the first 'shops open' Saturday in months tomorrow and it's a good weather forecast,so it'll be quite busy.

Hey,i'm thinking of going there myself. Maybe we could meet up and you could be the first CCer to see my new striped/ boating blazer!!:whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks for the suggestion @Accy cyclist - I'm off into Burnley to look at the mile canal embankment, that's not quite a mile. Then to JJ's cafe for a late breakfast.

Hopefully then it'll be to Pendle hill and timed right for my son to come past with the rest of the academy riders, up the hill and down quick enough for coffee & cake before picking him up in Colne.

Smart move @DCLane, seeking advice early. The number of times I have landed in a town and city wished that I had done a bit of research. When With no a bike, walking aimlessly is not at all attractive. But I never seem to learn any lessons and end up in a Macdonald's going thru the internet.

Venod

Eh up
This is off topic, since Strava turned of flybys not everybody has turned it back on including me, if I pass somebody and think was that someone I know, I switch it on to have a look, this happened on Thursday I passed someone I knew going the other way, but they were not on flyby but @DCLane was, as I came past Birkin Church from Beal you followed me round to Birkin cafe, I went straight on, I didn't see you and probably would not have recognised you in your cycling gear, and you would not have recognised me from my avatar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom