Bus driver question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
domd1979 said:
According to Croners (guide to transport operations/law):

"drivers may not use a handheld telephone while the engine is running even though the vehicle may be stationary at the time. Anyone who causes or permits any other person to use a hand-held telephone while the engine is running is also liable such as an operator telling his or her drivers to ignore the Regulations by insisting that hand-held telephones still be used" (Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regs).

Two-way radios and pressing buttons to operate a hands free phone are excepted.

Thanks for that,i was putting them in the same category as radios,but then that benefits the company doesnt it,hand free was also not allowed with stagecoach ,even earpieces.Even though i saw numerous drivers with earpieces in,with other company's.Slightly off topic,but drivers have been in trouble for just having a mobile in there hand while driving(i never have by the way)but iv never heard of anyone who is scrutinising a timetable while driving,yes it happens,ever get into trouble for this,mmm makes you think doesnt it,i would personally say reading while driving is more dangerous,than talking,unless of course your trying to text while driving.

domd1979

Veteran
I remember reading a report a little while back about a coach driver who appeared in front of the Traffic Commissioner after being caught playing on a handheld Playstation whilst at the wheel!!!

col said:
Slightly off topic,but drivers have been in trouble for just having a mobile in there hand while driving(i never have by the way)but iv never heard of anyone who is scrutinising a timetable while driving,yes it happens,ever get into trouble for this,mmm makes you think doesnt it,i would personally say reading while driving is more dangerous,than talking,unless of course your trying to text while driving.

col

Legendary Member
domd1979 said:
I remember reading a report a little while back about a coach driver who appeared in front of the Traffic Commissioner after being caught playing on a handheld Playstation whilst at the wheel!!!

You wouldnt believe it would you?The things some people do just leave me gobsmacked.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cab said:
Irrelevent to the bus company, it would seem.

Its just that company (First) policy is that to use a camera on board of their vehicles, legally, you are first required to obtain written permission from them.
In your request you have to give the reason for the use of the camera, whatever type. As well as saying what you intend to do with the pictures/video afterwards. This I don't think will have been obtained.

Also suggest that the next time you get on a FirstBus lookout for the signs that the company are obliged by law to put on display. Details of camera(s) owner & operator have to be clearly visible. Any other camera carried & used isn't covered by this.

nethalus

I got thanked by a cyclist the other day. I was about to pull out from a bus stop when I noticed the chap suddenly appear so I hung back a second. He gave a wave of thanks for letting him pass without pulling out on him.

col

Legendary Member
Similar thing tonight,i was indicating to pull out of a bus stop laybye,this cyclist actually stopped and waved me on,he got the thumbs up out of the window,and a four way flash too.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Think I surprised a bus driver a couple of weeks ago. I was about half a dozen vehicles back from the lights. Between myself and the lights was a pull-in bus stop with a Plaxtons low floor, he was indicating to pull out.
The lights changed, traffic started moving and because I was in primary I was able to indicate he could move.

Took him about 20-30 seconds to realise a cyclist was holding up traffic and letting him out

nethalus

gambatte said:
Think I surprised a bus driver a couple of weeks ago. I was about half a dozen vehicles back from the lights. Between myself and the lights was a pull-in bus stop with a Plaxtons low floor, he was indicating to pull out.
The lights changed, traffic started moving and because I was in primary I was able to indicate he could move.

Took him about 20-30 seconds to realise a cyclist was holding up traffic and letting him out

Stories like that restore one's faith in cyclist kind, just as I'm sure I restored that cyclist's faith in bus driver kind. Must admit though I've not so far actually had a cyclist hang back and let me out.
Once had one who made me a bit angry, all the cars had stopped to let me out of the stop, but a cyclist decided to swerve round the cars and round my bus as I was starting to manuver out. Thought it was a bit ignorant of him, seeing how everyone else had kindly held back to let me out.

nethalus said:
Stories like that restore one's faith in cyclist kind, just as I'm sure I restored that cyclist's faith in bus driver kind. Must admit though I've not so far actually had a cyclist hang back and let me out.
Once had one who made me a bit angry, all the cars had stopped to let me out of the stop, but a cyclist decided to swerve round the cars and round my bus as I was starting to manuver out. Thought it was a bit ignorant of him, seeing how everyone else had kindly held back to let me out.

That's both annoying and suicidal.

Top Bottom