Bus driver question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nethalus

Cab said:
Irrelevent to the bus company, it would seem.

I was just curious to know why Classic33 is making an issue it and asking bus companies such questions? Especially as we've all agreed there isn't a safety issue here, it doesn't infringe on people's privacy and it's no worse than having a CCTV camera filming things.

Cab

nethalus said:
I was just curious to know why Classic33 is making an issue it and asking bus companies such questions? Especially as we've all agreed there isn't a safety issue here, it doesn't infringe on people's privacy and it's no worse than having a CCTV camera filming things.

Why he did it is his own business I'd have thought; he might simply be curious, he might have an agenda, but ultimately it doesn't matter why. He asked, he got a response. Taping your drive is not to be done.

nethalus

spindrift said:
Why are you here nethalus?

Why do you keep making stuff up about road safety?
Answer to first question: Go back to the first posting in this thread and read the following 5 pages onwards from there. You'll find most of it is coments about me.

Second: I'm taking you mean by "making up" that I am inventing non existant things about road safety? Please point out where I have made "stuff" up about road saftey, other than in cases of using hypothetical situations to explain something.

stephenb

Guru
Bus driver ran me off the road on Saturday, deliberately as far as I can tell. No footage, but the long and short is I wouldn't/couldn't move from primary in behind parked cars. Blasted his horn several times in the space of a few hundred yards (cars parked every 20 or 30 yards intermittently) eventually overtook me when there were no more parked cars and swerved hard to the left, tail clipped my bars but somehow didn't get dumped on pavement. Guess I should have anticipated and not moved to secondary, but I generally don't hold up other vehicles where it's safe to let them pass. Bus company doesn't want to know, not surprisingly. Have cycled thousands of miles through London streets in the company of buses over the years, most drivers quite OK, a few in too much of a hurry. But this was premediated. Absolutely flabbergasted.

spindrift

Please point out where I have made "stuff" up about road saftey, other than in cases of using hypothetical situations to explain something.

Read the thread, take particular note of my responses to you. You keep posting made -up myths abou the safety of cycle lanes, the efficacy or otherwise of road calming,the chances of bad driving being detected etc etc etc. You are wrong on all these points and you've been shown why you are wrong. I'm not sure why a non-cyclist would choose to display their ignorance about cycling on a cycling forum but lack of knowledge combined with stridency is an unattractive pairing.

nethalus

spindrift said:
Please point out where I have made "stuff" up about road saftey, other than in cases of using hypothetical situations to explain something.

Read the thread, take particular note of my responses to you. You keep posting made -up myths abou the safety of cycle lanes, the efficacy or otherwise of road calming,the chances of bad driving being detected etc etc etc. You are wrong on all these points and you've been shown why you are wrong. I'm not sure why a non-cyclist would choose to display their ignorance about cycling on a cycling forum but lack of knowledge combined with stridency is an unattractive pairing.
Just proves you didn't understand what I was saying when I was talking about it's easier to notice a car being driven badly than a cycle, and I'm not going to explain it anymore, if you don't understand or refuse to understand that's how it'll stay.
I can't remember posting anywhere on here about cycle lanes, other than mentioning about them little boxes they have at traffic lights for cyclists to use. Are you sure you are not mixing me up with Random?

Cab

nethalus said:
Just proves you didn't understand what I was saying when I was talking about it's easier to notice a car being driven badly than a cycle, and I'm not going to explain it anymore, if you don't understand or refuse to understand that's how it'll stay.

I'm sure Spindrift understood, and I understood what you were saying about it being easier to notice a car being driven badly than a bike, and I responded. You have failed to talk about those responses, I notice. Why? I mean, if what you want to do is discuss these points, why aren't you discussing them?

Hint: Start re-reading here
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3610&page=8

spindrift

Just proves you didn't understand what I was saying when I was talking about it's easier to notice a car being driven badly than a cycle,

Well, again, that is demonstrably untrue.

Cars depersonalise- witness how RTA's are described as always the car hitting something rather than the driver making an error.

Cycists, on the other hand, are visible as people which is why IMO their misdemeanours are treated as far worse transgressions than motorists. Don't believe me? Look at the coverage pavement cycling gets as opposed to cars on the pavement.

Cab

spindrift said:
Cycists, on the other hand, are visible as people which is why IMO their misdemeanours are treated as far worse transgressions than motorists. Don't believe me? Look at the coverage pavement cycling gets as opposed to cars on the pavement.

Unjustified coverage IMHO, considering how many more pedestrians are hurt on the road by cars than by bicycles. Focussing on cyclists in this regard is just totally irrational.

domd1979

Veteran
Watched that clip, as far as I can see there's no problem at all with it. Reporting it to the operator would strike me as entirely pointless, probably verging on vindictive.

The reason for my mobile phone question, was to try and draw a parallel. It is in fact illegal for a driver to use the phone whilst the engine is running - regardless of if they are parked safely with the handbrake on. In my view it would be an extremely anal police officer who booked a driver in that circumstance (and I certainly wouldn't be concerned by a driver using a phone in a safely parked stationary bus with the engine still on). As far as I can tell, there's no law against having a camera in the windscreen - but you seem to think that ought to be reported to all and sundry?

classic33 said:
Main one being to get the company policy on this sort of thing.
Secondly to see where such a complaint should be directed.

domd1979
Not if the vehicle was stationary. But given that the camera has been operated whilst behind the wheel of the bus(

), I feel that the question was a fair one.

If thats not to your taste how about reporting the matter to the company & traffic commission out Harehills Road in Leeds.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Irrelevent to the bus company, it would seem.

Iv asked questions,and had a look through the manual,and found no policy about recording journeys,it seems there is nothing to stop,or be worried about using a cctv.As long as its not held by the driver(obviously)So film away,it doesnt affect driving,or safety,and can probably show some interesting moments too.;)

col

Legendary Member
domd1979 said:
Watched that clip, as far as I can see there's no problem at all with it. Reporting it to the operator would strike me as entirely pointless, probably verging on vindictive.

The reason for my mobile phone question, was to try and draw a parallel. It is in fact illegal for a driver to use the phone whilst the engine is running - regardless of if they are parked safely with the handbrake on. In my view it would be an extremely anal police officer who booked a driver in that circumstance (and I certainly wouldn't be concerned by a driver using a phone in a safely parked stationary bus with the engine still on). As far as I can tell, there's no law against having a camera in the windscreen - but you seem to think that ought to be reported to all and sundry?

I was led to believe,that as long as the parking brake was on,its not a problem to use a phone,as long as it doesnt effect a timetable,ie it doesnt make you late,or stops you dealing with passengers.wheather the engine is running or not?

domd1979

Veteran
According to Croners (guide to transport operations/law):

"drivers may not use a handheld telephone while the engine is running even though the vehicle may be stationary at the time. Anyone who causes or permits any other person to use a hand-held telephone while the engine is running is also liable such as an operator telling his or her drivers to ignore the Regulations by insisting that hand-held telephones still be used" (Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regs).

Two-way radios and pressing buttons to operate a hands free phone are excepted.

col said:
I was led to believe,that as long as the parking brake was on,its not a problem to use a phone,as long as it doesnt effect a timetable,ie it doesnt make you late,or stops you dealing with passengers.wheather the engine is running or not?

Top Bottom