Bus driver question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

habibi

Having scanned that bus driver forum thread, that sikpuppy poster is a serious accident waiting to happen. I've no doubt that he really does go fast and close beside cyclists to deliberately shake them up. Not as a game as he suggests; but to get that wee ego boost each time. It troubles me that he's at large on the highway. Did you look into that any further, Magnatom?

nethalus

magnatom said:
Gazzaputt,

If you didn't go too crazy you could always contact the bus company to find out if it has anything on CCTV. These buses often have several cameras on board.

Thing is unless something substantial happened the bus company are unlikely to bother down loading the CCTV. Where I work a bus has to be taken out of service in order to have it's CCTV down loaded, which means there is a possibilty of a service not running due to their being no bus and thus a potential of revenue loss, or incurring fines for a missing service. Not sure if this is the same in London. I know in some parts of London they have live CCTV that's actually monitored at a central point.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

nethalus,

You are a little bit of a stirrer aren't you? You've posted another question regarding me on the bus forum when you know I won't post there any more so I can't defend myself.

Anyway on the bus forum you have said: One thing I've been considering over the last couple of days is, would such a fuss have intially been started if I was never a bus driver?
Let me explain. All this fuss started originally because in a moment of boredom, and I think influence of the old apple juice, I made a coment on a YouTube video (as hundreds even thousands of people do) that "if cyclists were banned there wouldn't be any more problems." It was a silly tongue in cheek coment that I didn't really take seriously myself, of course cyclists shouldn't be banned. But Magnatom took it seriously and he decided to post about it on the cycling forum. Asking other members on there whether he should report the author of the coment to their employer, who he'd managed to work out. And also saying that it was not acceptable for a bus driver to hold or make such a ridiculous coment!
Now what the crux of the issue I'm trying to make here is, would Magnatom have made such a fuss if the coment had been posted by anyone but a bus driver? For instance would he have gone to such extremes that he did (and I'm not trying to have a go at Magnatom or incite further arguments) if the coment had been posted by say a librarian or a doctor's receptionist?
Why is it that because a bus driver posted a stupid coment such a fuss was made? And would such a fuss have been made had the comentor been a checkout operator, a multi drop driver, a bookies clerk, a McDonalds worker or a university undergraduate??

The simple answer is, yes it mattered a great deal that you were a bus driver. It is a bus drivers job to drive safely on the road and to respect all other road users (and to be respected back of course). Your ban cyclists comment was at odds with this. It signified a lack of respect and understanding of the issues faced by cyclists. Therefore, it played a significant part in my reaction to your post on youtube. I hope this clarifies the issue.

No hard feelings of course, just try not to stir so much!!:biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's hard to take comments like that with a sense of humour, because the first time a bus driver threatens your life with however many tonnes of bus, that's out the window.

I know it doesn't happen often, and most bus drivers are excellent, but every once in a while you'll come across a right twunt who thinks nothing of teaching a cyclist a lesson. Unlike most, I try not to tar all bus drivers as a result of the very few bad apples amongst them.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
It's hard to take comments like that with a sense of humour, because the first time a bus driver threatens your life with however many tonnes of bus, that's out the window.

I know it doesn't happen often, and most bus drivers are excellent, but every once in a while you'll come across a right twunt who thinks nothing of teaching a cyclist a lesson. Unlike most, I try not to tar all bus drivers as a result of the very few bad apples amongst them.

Agreed. And I have said this many times. Actually I think I will change my signature....

Cab

magnatom said:
The simple answer is, yes it mattered a great deal that you were a bus driver. It is a bus drivers job to drive safely on the road and to respect all other road users (and to be respected back of course). Your ban cyclists comment was at odds with this. It signified a lack of respect and understanding of the issues faced by cyclists. Therefore, it played a significant part in my reaction to your post on youtube. I hope this clarifies the issue.

The simple fact is that comments relating to your profession carry more weight. If a doctor comes out with some rubbish about health care, it should be challenged, but if he goes off on one about the roads he's just mouthing off. If a bus driver rants on about hospitals then thats one thing, if a bus driver suggests that cyclists should be banned its another. You have to remember, some few bus drivers do try to enforce that view using their vehicles, that makes it a serious matter.

Really, we should just cut links with that lot over there. We have nothing to gain from this.

nethalus

magnatom said:
nethalus,

You are a little bit of a stirrer aren't you? You've posted another question regarding me on the bus forum when you know I won't post there any more so I can't defend myself.

Anyway on the bus forum you have said: One thing I've been considering over the last couple of days is, would such a fuss have intially been started if I was never a bus driver?
Let me explain. All this fuss started originally because in a moment of boredom, and I think influence of the old apple juice, I made a coment on a YouTube video (as hundreds even thousands of people do) that "if cyclists were banned there wouldn't be any more problems." It was a silly tongue in cheek coment that I didn't really take seriously myself, of course cyclists shouldn't be banned. But Magnatom took it seriously and he decided to post about it on the cycling forum. Asking other members on there whether he should report the author of the coment to their employer, who he'd managed to work out. And also saying that it was not acceptable for a bus driver to hold or make such a ridiculous coment!
Now what the crux of the issue I'm trying to make here is, would Magnatom have made such a fuss if the coment had been posted by anyone but a bus driver? For instance would he have gone to such extremes that he did (and I'm not trying to have a go at Magnatom or incite further arguments) if the coment had been posted by say a librarian or a doctor's receptionist?
Why is it that because a bus driver posted a stupid coment such a fuss was made? And would such a fuss have been made had the comentor been a checkout operator, a multi drop driver, a bookies clerk, a McDonalds worker or a university undergraduate??

No hard feelings of course, just try not to stir so much!!:biggrin:

I wasn't trying to stir things. It was just a question that had been playing at the back of my mind. I suppose I could have put the question on here but chose the other forum instead. And like I did point out, you could have simply deleted the coment I put on your video if you found it to be silly or offensive.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Nethalus,

I really have given you the benefit of doubt, but as I am obviously being talked about over at bloodbus, I feel it wise to keep an eye on what is being said (I know you want to forget them Cab, but a lot of not particularly nice things are being said about me there). The little chat section at the bottom (only visible if your logged in) was a very interesting read this morning. I'll produce one quote in particular (that's what you keep doing on bloodbus).

sikpuppy (with reference to me) 8:55am: as i said he might come though here on a bike but he will go back in a box

Daisy Dart (nethalus) reply: LOL

Absolutely hilarious.

and a little later,

Daisy Dart: Aye it's stupid, they think road laws don't apply to them

Now thats what I call a generalisation.

I'd really love to meet this sikpuppy chap (who now also goes by the name of 'me hate cyclists'). Somehow I don't think he'd be so 'hard' in the flesh, or so willing to tell us about the things he has done to cyclists or threatens to do.

I'm sorry but I really don't like your and a number of other bloodbus member attitudes. You really are blighting the name bus drivers and that is a shame for the vast majority of drivers out there.

Cab

magnatom said:
(I know you want to forget them Cab, but a lot of not particularly nice things are being said about me there).

All the more reason to rise above it. Come on, we've got Nethalus coming over here and acting nice, then going back and laughing at someone who said he'd send you home in a box, before saying outright that we think we're above the rules of the road?

Let them talk about you, they're a twisted, introverted little forum for people who have twisted moral values, who think that threatening other people is funny, who think it is acceptable to boast about scaring other road users off the road. They're not representative of bus drivers in general and they're not read widely enough to make any kind of impact. Be the bigger man and walk away.

Tetedelacourse

Yeah, why value anything that comes from that man's mouth/ keyboard? Or Nethalus now for that matter? Neither are truly interested in what you have to say Mag. Leave them to it.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
BentMikey said:
One of the other cyclists wrote something like this earlier: "For a small donation to charity, there's a chance of keeping a helmet camera out of the hands of a cyclist who might otherwise film some bus driver misdemeanors."

THAT WAS ME!!!!!:biggrin::laugh::biggrin:

Top Bottom