Bus driver question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

col said:
Nethalus must be a bus driver,as this is what we,well most of us, do.But when Random came on here,it seemed that all our dislikes were directed at him as a bus driver,albeit in a more polite way,in most cases,about what happens to us as cyclists on the road.

Hardly surprising when he came on here and immediately started groaning about cyclist behaviour.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Hardly surprising when he came on here and immediately started groaning about cyclist behaviour.

Again,he will have wrongly generalised.As do most of us,we need to try and get away from this if we can.

Cab

col said:
Again,he will have wrongly generalised.As do most of us,we need to try and get away from this if we can.

(emphasis added)

No, most of us don't. I don't generalise about bus drivers (like I've said here, they're just folks). I don't generalise about cyclists. I don't generalise about taxi drivers. I know that a proportion of every group of road users will break all sorts of laws, the exact proportion and the laws they break will vary according to group, location and time. And you know what? I don't see most other people here generalising either.

Honestly, what kind of reception should someone expect when they appear on a cycling forum and start generalising about cyclists. More to the point, anyone who is a member of an online community where boasting about bullying cyclists off the road is accepted as reasonable... Why on earth would we give them the benefit of the doubt? If people from there want respect here they need to absolutely dissociate themselves from statements made over there, otherwise I'll have none of this acceptance crap.

nethalus

Shame that we won't be hearing from you again Magnatom, I actually think you are very good at putting across your arguments.
Col I was a bus driver, but at them moment I'm not due to being on long term sick.
I suppose really I don't have much to say on cycling. I think the last time I rode a bicycle was in 2003. I have been thinking about getting a bike, because as someone so kindly pointed out on here I'm fat (they also added some other unpleasant remarks I shall not repeat!) Cycling might be one way of burning off some of them excess pounds I suppose.

Road Fiddler

Nethalus i have said some harsh things in this thread about you and was quite insistent Mags contacted your employer as i am sure they would have been interested in you making vids whilst you were driving a bus when your prime responsibility is for the safety of your passengers and other road users. You vids have highlighted for me a very worrying trend of bus drivers making vids whilst there concentration should be on the road and i am sure if an accident was to happen and it came to light a driver was making a personal vid that would be used against them even if it did not contribute to the accident in any way.

I hope it was not me that suggested you were fat and i am sorry to hear you are on long term sick. Cycling has many benefits and i am sure it would benefit you sickness by speeding your recovery, it is a know fact that exercise as well as improving once health, fitness it is also great for improving ones mental health. So cycling is beneficial for weight loss, other medical conditions, stress and depression. And, although it might seem like a struggle to begin with cycling becomes quite addictive and i am sure you would enjoy it as well as feel the benefits. It might be an idea to have a chat with your doctor just to make sure it would not effect your condition at all just to be on the safe side.

Lastly i would like to say well done for coming on here and having your say, i am sure you would be able to share you perspective with use to better understand some of the problems that a bus driver faces in there travels.

Can i ask you in your opinion which road user is the worst for the average road user and why. I hope the answer is not cyclists but if it is i am sure we are all adult enough to accept it and possibly it might help some of us to change our habits.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't actually see what is wrong with a driver running a video camera as Nethalus did. It's not a mobile phone, and it doesn't need to be distracting in any way.

Road Fiddler

I agree to a certain extent but if a bus driver was involved with a death or injury of someone the fact that they were making a vid would raise some questions and would be used as mitigating circumstances whether they are at fault or not. If the family of the victim was to find out they would be asking why.

Also an employer would probably not appreciate it.

nethalus

Road Fiddler said:
I agree to a certain extent but if a bus driver was involved with a death or injury of someone the fact that they were making a vid would raise some questions and would be used as mitigating circumstances whether they are at fault or not. If the family of the victim was to find out they would be asking why.

Also an employer would probably not appreciate it.

When I did make them films I only touched the camera when I was stopped at bus stops or at the terminus. A lot of the time I just switched it on and let it run until either the batteries ran out or the card became full. The camera is usually placed near the ticket machine (where it can't be snatched) The only vids I've done where I am holding the camera are the ones where I'm not driving. These films I did are popular with bus enthusaists.
As for my least favourite road users I'd have to say Private Hire Minicabs. While not all are bad there seems to be a rotten core that let the rest of 'em down. Speeding, red light jumping, illegal U-turns, dangerous overtaking, non use of indicators when pulling out into traffic, pulling out dangerously in front of on coming vehicles at junctions, and wilfully admitting to smoking cannabis while driving!!
You'd never catch me in a mini cab!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Nethalus,

I'd just like to add my best wishes. I hope you get better soon. Please stay here as I am sure your opinion on general road safety, and your opinion from a bus drivers point of view would be valuable.

I'm not posting there again as I have better things to do with my time (work, family, watching grass grow xx(). Sometimes you come across people that are just too stuck in their ways that no matter how much reasoned argument you use, they won't listen. (I am not generalising here, but from my experience the majority that replied to me on the bus forum were of this type).

Hey ho. As I said on the bus forum they will be hearing from me soon from another source, in fact they will have a wee reminder of me in each and every First Bus cab in Glasgow.....:sad::biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sorry, I couldn't help this. I had to post this reply on the bus forum here. It is just so inaccurate it's unbelievable! I'm not bothering to post there any more but if anyone else cares to answer this chap please feel free!!xx(

Cyclists like yourself have a huge chip on your shoulder, and you arent insured in any way, apart from your bike being insured for theft under house contents!(3rd party insurance is bollocks, as it covers **** all nowadays! Many big insurers are no longer doing 3rd party insurance) Cyclists should pay excise duty (say £10 per year) and should have to pass a test, as all other road users have to, and if you think you are being green, just think about the chinese sweatshop where most bikes are built....... China is now one of the worlds biggest polluters, and thats from industry! Also think about the cancer you will be giving yourself breathing in all the traffic fumes! You are pedalling hard, thus breathing faster & sucking in more & more carbon monoxide!!!!

On a note about paying tax, you are deluded. Income Tax does not go towards our roads system,and very little council tax goes towards roads. Income for roads comes from VED and Fuel Duty, so if you aint paying either of those, you shouldnt have the right to use the roads!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I’m actually tempted to go over there and ask if there is anyone from their own camp who would care to actually tell this guy how many counts he is wrong on.

Failing that ask if not doing so is just a case of ‘not feeding the trolls’

Top Bottom