Bus driver question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
Keep us posted, Magnatom !

I would have been tempted to drop her in it, but emailing her's the right thing to do. If she gets really arsey about your comment, THEN consider reporting her.

Will (or did) you mention your role in the First campaign to her ? That might give her a bit of a wake-up if she thinks you're pally with her employer :biggrin:

Will do. I just asked her to clarify her comment and left it at that. I didn't mention the fact she works for First or that I have contact with them.

I also want to avoid using the campaign in that way. It isn't public yet and First are dragging their heels over it (although I am assured that it will be imminent xx() . I don't want to give First any excuses to pull out of it!

spen666

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
Seems a bit spiteful to grass to her employers. Can't you handle the situation yourself? Why not try to reason with her using considered argument rather than get her into trouble at work and breed even more resentment?

She is the one who brought her employers into this by
a) filming whilst working
:biggrin: allowing her employers to be/naming them

spen666

Legendary Member
Road Fiddler said:
She cant be sacked if this is the first complaint she would only be given a warning.
Nonsense- she can be sacked, the company could properly class her behaviour as gross misconduct for one of several reasons.

first incident or not, you can be sacked for gross misconduct
For her to have vids named Grumpy bus driver is not good for a company to be associated with.

It might also give her a kick in the right direction to change her attitude. She might not be a model employee with lots of complaints already those vids dont show someone that respects her position in the company.

domd1979

Veteran
Reading through the posts, and just having had a quick look at the You Tube link, I can see both sides of the argument. But, I think trying to wind up First about her filming some bus driving is a little OTT. Its obvious that the camera is resting behind the dash, so its not affecting her driving of the bus. Yes, technically she probably shouldn't have a camera there, but if I'd be pretty surprised if an operator deemed that a sacking offence.

I agree her comments are out of order but, she could easily be just setting out to be provocative. There's nothing in the videos she posts to suggest her driving is particularly aggressive. So there isn't any proof of anything. On the video of her doing the walk round check, she checks the bus' CCTV which appears to have an external camera - so with that running she'd have to be pretty dopey to indulge in any dangerous driving.

I think bunging a comment back on You Tube in the first instance is probably the thing to do, but rather suspect you won't get an intelligent or reasoned response!! I really don't think its worth pursuing First about this particular individual - time might be better spent pressing the head office corporate social responsibility dudes to roll out the "give cyclists room" campaign to all their bus subsidiaries.

Road Fiddler

Posting vids on the net is not covered by gross misconduct.

Gross misconduct covers these issues only
Physical violence
Alcohol or drug abuse
Deliberate damage to property
Serious infringement of health and safety regulations
Theft and/or fraud
Harassment / discrimination
Negligence which causes serious consequences for your company as a result of the error

She could well be sacked for bringing the company into disrepute but many companies are have never considered this in the policie planning.

But, then she is representing her company by posting those vids so maybe she should be dismissed, they will find out eventually.

spen666

Legendary Member
Road Fiddler said:

Gross misconduct covers these issues only
Physical violence
Alcohol or drug abuse
Deliberate damage to property
Serious infringement of health and safety regulations
Theft and/or fraud
Harassment / discrimination
Negligence which causes serious consequences for your company as a result of the error

She could well be sacked for bringing the company into disrepute but many companies are have never considered this in the policie planning.

But, then she is representing her company by posting those vids so maybe she should be dismissed, they will find out eventually.

So you have now done a 180 degree turn about from the first line of this post to the last line?:biggrin::?:xx(:?::biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tetedelacourse said:
I wouldn't stick her in for what she's said (non-professionally) on a website. I think you took a reasonable course of action Magna.

Yes I think it is best to let her explain. I really hope she does as I am sure the reply would be very 'interesting'!

Road Fiddler

spen666 said:
So you have now done a 180 degree turn about from the first line of this post to the last line?:biggrin::?:xx(:?::biggrin:

She cant be sacked if this is the first complaint she would only be given a warning. For her to have vids named Grumpy bus driver is not good for a company to be associated with.

It might also give her a kick in the right direction to change her attitude. She might not be a model employee with lots of complaints already those vids dont show someone that respects her position in the company.

umm NO

oh and there is NO definitive list of what is gross misconduct

If you believe your company policy then it may look that way but company policies are not worth the paper they are written on if this was tested at tribunal providing you have not broken one of the above rules the gross misconduct dismissal would be overturned.

I am not saying she would not get sacked it would be unlikely she would be sacked and if she was it would be for bringing the company into disrepute and not gross conduct.

I was trying to say to Magna what the company might do about this from there perspective, she has not attacked cyclists other than mutered a couple of things under her breath and let be honest we dont see what the cyclist did she might have every reason to mutter away. I am looking it from the employers point of view. If this lady came to me about a complaint about her managers behavior i would happily investigate it and if found she had a case i go to the directors and with the problem and if it was not taken seriously i would encourage and guide her through the process of taking it to the DTI arbitration. In the same breath if First came to me with a compliant such as this i would investigate it and would advise them to take legal advise before deciding what to do with her. Most companies would do this and talk to the employee and ask that the vids be removed with no further action taken.

After reading later posts i saw that Magna has contacts with the company and is trying to influence them into taking positive action re cyclists with this in mind and if i had know this after his first post i would have agreed that approaching the company may be a negative thing in the long run with respect to the campaign.

col

Legendary Member
Just been reading this thread,and as far as filming herself,i dont think there is anything in the rules against it.At first i thought she was holding the cam while driving,instant dismissal for that,but after watching the vids i couldnt really see her point?unless she has done or said something to publically bring the company into disripute,im afraid i cant see much hapenning about it,other than her comments being as pleasant as she is looking.Is it just me, or does she look like mad mary of the phones for you adds?

spen666

Legendary Member
Road Fiddler said:
umm NO

If you believe your company policy then it may look that way but company policies are not worth the paper they are written on if this was tested at tribunal providing you have not broken one of the above rules the gross misconduct dismissal would be overturned.

I am not saying she would not get sacked it would be unlikely she would be sacked and if she was it would be for bringing the company into disrepute and not gross conduct.

I was trying to say to Magna what the company might do about this from there perspective, she has not attacked cyclists other than mutered a couple of things under her breath and let be honest we dont see what the cyclist did she might have every reason to mutter away. I am looking it from the employers point of view. If this lady came to me about a complaint about her managers behavior i would happily investigate it and if found she had a case i go to the directors and with the problem and if it was not taken seriously i would encourage and guide her through the process of taking it to the DTI arbitration. In the same breath if First came to me with a compliant such as this i would investigate it and would advise them to take legal advise before deciding what to do with her. Most companies would do this and talk to the employee and ask that the vids be removed with no further action taken.

After reading later posts i saw that Magna has contacts with the company and is trying to influence them into taking positive action re cyclists with this in mind and if i had know this after his first post i would have agreed that approaching the company may be a negative thing in the long run with respect to the campaign.

Road fiddler- you are contradicting yourself left right and centre. It is hard to0 know what you are saying

you say in your earlier post
then you say

She could well be sacked for bringing the company into disrepute ....

But, then she is representing her company by posting those vids so maybe she should be dismissed

The two statements appear to be contradictory as she would only be sacked for gross misconduct

You later go on to say
I am not saying she would not get sacked it would be unlikely she would be sacked and if she was it would be for bringing the company into disrepute and not gross conduct

I presume firstly that you mean gross misconduct not gross conduct.

She will only be sacked for gross misconduct and bringing the company into disrepute is or can be a form of gross misconduct

You are confusing yourself.

DTI arbitration? where do you produce this from. There is no mention of it so far and unless there is something specific in her contract, this is a completely irrelevant remark

spen666

Legendary Member
col said:
Just been reading this thread,and as far as filming herself,i dont think there is anything in the rules against it....unless she has done or said something to publically bring the company into disripute,...

It depends what is in her employment contract re conduct. I suspect her behaviour as a bus driver does bring the company into dispute, but that is not for me to judge

OP
OP
M

magnatom

She has replied to my thread. Have a look here

I quote 'Yeah and cyclists never run red lights, try and knock down pedestrians, zoom out of side junctions inches in front of a bus doing 30mph, deliberately overtake when other traffic has been curteous and held back for the bus to pull out of a stop, and they never over taken standing traffic on the wrong side of narrow roads when a fooking great bus is cooming the other way and has no where to go. Sorry cyclists are a bloody menace, had too many problems with 'em

Mmmm.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

and I also got this personal reply

I've been done wrong to by cyclists, both as a driver and a pedestrian. One nearly sent me flying when I was crossing on a pelican crossing and the greenman was up, so it should have been safe to cross, but the cyclist didn't stop at the red light and decided to plough through the crowd of people crossing. He got called a few choice words I can tell you!
Also during rush hour it's hard for buses to get out from stops on busy roads. Some kindly car drivers stopped and flashed me out, just as I was pulling out and thanking them an ignorant cyclist swerved between the car that had stopped and round my bus, forcing me to have to suddenly stop. Either he was blind and couldn't see my indicators or that the cars had stopped to let me out, or more likely he was just bloody ignorant. I could got on and on with many other examples, but I ain't got time at the mo, off to workies, and I wouldn't want to bore you like.

Does anyone have a link to stats for injuries/deaths from cyclists compared to cars, buses etc. I think I just need to point out that this ladies perception of danger and risk are very heavily distrorted.

Also Tetdelacourse if you are reading this, this is a prime example of how RLJ's lead to a poor perception of cyclists in general.

Top Bottom