Bus Lane Boris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just "written to The Mayor of London" complaining about his decision to allow motorbikes etc into bus lanes. Am I just an old foamer who cannot come to terms with the changing roads or is there an impending safety issue here - even a discouragement to novice cyclists who are doing their best to contribute to London each day?
There is no 'primary' against fast moving, rapidly accelerating motorbikes, let alone daydreaming, veering mopeds - I know there are always some decent, patient folk but the temptation of open lanes, foot down, cut you up slowcoach..."beep beep"... must be a poor decision at best.
Sorry to harp on about London but this could be coming to a bus lane near you...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I have no problem with it at all, I don't think it will be a problem at all. If anything, the roads will be far safer for bikers as they won't have to weave and filter.

I know some here like to see things only from the point of view of cyclists, but here I'd rather see the bigger picture and celebrate an improvement in the situation for bikers, and perhaps a potential decrease in the number of cars on the road.

Anyhow, now to step back and allow the foamers to moan about how we are all going to be killed by crazy bikers.......

domtyler

Über Member
I see so many bikers going at thirty and above on the white line separating the bus lane from the line of slow moving cars, it fair makes me feel quite nauseous. I just hope there is not too much aggro between them and us, but I'd rather that than see yet another biker sprawled across the east bound Mile End road at five thirty pm.

domtyler

Über Member
spindrift said:
Motorcycles kill cyclists at 1.5 the rate of cars. A third of motorcyclists exceed 30mph limits. 10% of motorbikes are untaxed and uninsured, this is a disastrous move that places cyclists in direct danger, you can't mix fast and slow moving traffic.

OPlus, if motorcyclists are allowed in bus lanes they'll start creeping into cycle lanes even more than they do now.

Nobody has thought this through at all, say there's a feeder into an ASL, the motorcyclist will have to enter it if they've crept up the bus lane, there's nowehere else for them to go!

This is like Johnson's plan to allow cyclists to turn left on red, safety is not improved if you put cyclists where people don't expect to see them.

Bonkers, recklessly dangerous.

I think it will make things marginally, if at all, more dangerous for cyclists, but a whole lot better for bikers.

zimzum42 said:
I have no problem with it at all, I don't think it will be a problem at all. If anything, the roads will be far safer for bikers as they won't have to weave and filter.

I know some here like to see things only from the point of view of cyclists, but here I'd rather see the bigger picture and celebrate an improvement in the situation for bikers, and perhaps a potential decrease in the number of cars on the road.

Anyhow, now to step back and allow the foamers to moan about how we are all going to be killed by crazy bikers.......

You're just saying that because you voted for Boris.

I thought undertaking was dangerous. Now Boris is letting motorbikes use bus lanes how many SMIDSY's do you think will happen with people flashing right turning cars through slow moving traffic?

ZZ I don't see how you can see a potential decrease in cars on London's roads with Boris making it easier for people to travel by car.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It was a bit difficult to vote in Singapore!

Boris might increase car traffic, but hopefully he'll make all the traffic flow more smoothly too, no more 10 second green followed by 2 minutes red! I'm optimistic!

And I'm not 'just saying'' anything, I've always thought motorbikes should be allowed in bus lanes. Check the archive.....

Text of my email, sent to mayor@london.gov.uk

Dear Boris

I would like to express my disappointment and worry at your recent decision to allow motorcyclists to use bus lanes.

Bus lanes have been a godsend for cyclists, allowing us to move swiftly and safely through traffic, with only noisy and slow cabs and busses to think of coming up behind us. Motorbikes have been shown in many studies to be more dangerous to cyclists than cars. There are more and more idiots riding scooters, who seem not to have the most basic ideas about road safety. Your decision has increased the likelihood of serious injury or death to cyclists.

I am sure that you will regret this decision when the first reports of cyclist-scooter collisions and injuries start appearing. In order to ensure that you don’t miss any, I’ll forward them to this emial address.

Sincerely

spindrift

That's four threads with useful information and opinion you've caused to be deleted zimzum. This one will probably go the same as the others in Touring and Commuting and be deleted now.

Your kuntish behaviour is going to discourage people from posting here, disrupt the board and make you appear an unbalanced, spiteful person.

I'm asking you, politely, for the sixth time to stop doing this, find something to do with your life that doesn't involve being a full-time creepy kunt.

Top Bottom