Bus lane solid lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Can you cross them?
It's been mentioned before, i've had it said to me and it was recently mentioned in this thread.

Do you think you allowed to cross the solid white line that is often found on the side of a bus lane?
The usual thinking behind it is down to rule 128/129 of the highway code. Where it states
128 - Double white lines where the line nearest to you is broken. This means you may cross the lines to overtake if it is safe, provided you can complete the manoeuvre before reaching a solid white line on your side. White direction arrows on the road indicate that you need to get back onto your side of the road.

129 - Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
The thinking behind it is it is a solid white line, so you aren't allowed to cross it. But the rules regarding not crossing a solid white line are only when there is another line on the other side of it, either solid or dashed.

I believe that you are fine to enter or leave the bus lane when you wish.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You might well legally be, me thinks, but the traffic won't take kindly to a cyclist that goes in and out a bus lane. You will get beeped at :eek:

Pauluk

Interesting question for me. I had to cross a bus lane today to get into an entrance to a park. I first had to pass through a traffic light then make a left across the bus lane. The problem is that the bus lane bypasses the traffic lights on the left so the buses don't have to stop. As I made my move left across the lane, Yikes, there was a bus on my left shoulder. Could have been nasty but for my quick reaction and I think the bus driver's too. My fault for not looking hard enough. We live and learn, hopefully.

I'm sure you can cross the line as there are site entrances all the way along this road and the bus lane line is not broken at all. If you weren't allowed to cross the unbroken line no vehicles would have access to the various premises along the road.

Norm

In general, a solid line should not be crossed, it doesn't matter whether or not there is another line. That applies to lines on the edge of a road, lines separating lanes on joining a motorway, or lines around hatched areas.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You might well legally be, me thinks, but the traffic won't take kindly to a cyclist that goes in and out a bus lane. You will get beeped at :eek:
Come to London where bicycles are the fastest form of transportation (with the right legs). Moving in and out of the bus lanes is key to progressing in your journey in a smooth fashion.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Id have guessed the solid white line was to tell drivers they cant cross it, to separate it from the rest of the road.

Bus drivers certainly cross the white lines to overtake eachtother anyway :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Can you cross them?
It's been mentioned before, i've had it said to me and it was recently mentioned in this thread.

The usual thinking doesn't really have that much to do with that. The 'usual' thinking is based on what a solid white line is as norm and one other member have described. In anycase there are particular rules in the highway code that specifically mention overtaking and overtaking in bus lanes. Now someone arguing against it could read a particular rule and come up with unorthodox view of that rule, but that's quite a different matter.

There are particular special circumstances where you would not be allowed to exit the bus lane with signs and markings in particular configurations, but in general this is not the case.

the snail

Guru
Can you cross them?

Do you think you allowed to cross the solid white line that is often found on the side of a bus lane?
The usual thinking behind it is down to rule 128/129 of the highway code. Where it states

The thinking behind it is it is a solid white line, so you aren't allowed to cross it. But the rules regarding not crossing a solid white line are only when there is another line on the other side of it, either solid or dashed.

I think you're right gaz. The bus lane markings are different to the double white lines (usually a thick white line?), with a different meaning, i.e. prohibited vehicles are excluded from the lane altogether, for buses and cycles it's just another lane.

BSRU

A Human Being
There is no legal problem for authorised bus lane uses to cross the solid line as often as they need.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There is no legal problem for authorised bus lane uses to cross the solid line as often as they need.

This. It's like a mandatory solid white cycle lane line. Non-authorised vehicles aren't allowed to cross it except in certain limited circumstances.

Reactions: gaz

CotterPin

I think I would prefer buses and taxis to cross the white line out of the bus lane when they pass me rather than try to squish by and stay in the bus lane!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Can you cross them?

Yes.

The usual thinking behind it is down to rule 128/129 of the highway code. Where it states...

Those rules have no bearing whatsoever on bus lanes marked by a single line.

... the rules regarding not crossing a solid white line are only when there is another line on the other side of it, either solid or dashed.

Correct

Correct

If anyone tells you that you (as a permitted user of a bus lane) are not allowed to cross the demarcation line (for that is all it is), ask him to specify the piece of legislation which prohibits it. He won't be able to.

GC

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
This. It's like a mandatory solid white cycle lane line. Non-authorised vehicles aren't allowed to cross it except in certain limited circumstances.

You could construct a system where it would be illegal to do cross out of the bus lane even for an authorised vehicles, but that would depend on other signs and markings. In general this is the case, but it is not the case for all bus lanes or all bus lanes that could be constructed.

Can you cross them?

I'd agree with you otherwise how on earth would anyone proceed where the lane is blocked of if they need to exit/enter the lane (at sideroad etc

This is why I don't ride on the left in bus lanes, but take the whole lane for myself.

In Leeds the 'A65 Bus Corridor' is nearing completion and the time where I will have to choose to do this is nearing, I'm looking forward to being able to up my pace a little as I'll have a full lane rather than a scabby little 'cycle lane' but the potential conflict with bus's does concern me. No substitute for experience I suppose so will just have to get used to it.

Top Bottom