Wrong lane driver nearly flattens me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've had a helmet cam for a few months now, and since becoming a recumbent cyclist I've had far far fewer occasions such as this one where a driver's failed to see me. The road couldn't be more clearly marked (3 separate lane marking arrows on the approach to the roundabout) I was about to take evasive action and swerve left myself, but saw that he'd seen me at the last second. I suspect he'd had one of those last minute mind change driving moments.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5D2n1u6Or4

BTW, today was my first day with the additional rear facing cam....can anyone recommend a decent (easy to use, and preferably free) vid editor for doing picture in picture?

400bhp

Guru
To be fair, that is one complicated looking roundabout.

Too many lines/colours.

Horrible

Reactions: gaz

Gary E

Veteran
Don't want to cause an argument but didn't you cross the give way lines and ride across his lane to get to the second section of the bus lane?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Having just yesterday driven in a city I had never been in before, sometimes you loose your bearings and you aren't in the right lane etc.. etc..

It's something to keep your eyes open for.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Don't want to cause an argument but didn't you cross the give way lines and ride across his lane to get to the second section of the bus lane?
It looks like the left turn / first exit for the roundabout goes on the left of the first bus lane section. I think it's fair to say that many of us would presume in this same situation that the car would not decide to take the first exit when looking at the road layout.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

To be fair, that is one complicated looking roundabout.

Too many lines/colours.

Horrible
Really? Lane 1 has 3 separate large arrows showing left only. Lane 2 (green bus lane) has 3 separate large arrows showing straight on only. Lane 3 (the one the Astra was in) has 3 large separate arrows showing straight on/right only, and lane 4 has 3 separate large arrows showing right only.

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

They're not 'give way' lines. There is nothing to 'give way' to, it's a broken line to allow access into the bus lane. There is a solid white line on the right of the bus lane (solid white lines shouldn't be crossed, and it's there, I assume to make sure that all traffic entering the bus lane must do so form the left to prevent buses side swiping) The solid line 'protects' the bus/cyclist from traffic on the right. And the Astras lane clearly states straight on/right only.

That said, I'm always very wary on this section, and fortunately I was on the ball enough to allow for the drivers incompetence.

Gary E

Veteran
The camera footage shows you riding over a give way line in the road. Surely that means you give way to traffic in the lane you're about to cross?
That's certainly what I would have done in your situation. However, I agree with the above, I don't know the road and it does seem quite un-necessarily complicated.
To be honest, regardless of how well I know a road and how certain I am of my priority, if the road is complicated, as this one is, I would be half expecting people to get it wrong:sad:
Once again, just my take on the situation. No offence/criticism intended :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

To clarify. The left lane (lane 1) is signed left turn only, except for buses. The bus must enter the straight on bus lane (lane2) through the broken white lines. The solid white line on the right of the bus lane is to ensure that other buses/taxis/cyclists do not enter from the right and collide. The lane to the right of the bus lane (lane 3) clearly states that you must not turn left (at best, a bus may t-bone you, at worst....well, a cyclist wouldn't fair very well.)

Basically, what the car did was turn left at the roundabout from the right hand lane. I'm not particularly upset by the event, I was ready for it, I'd done my lifesaver shoulder check and was ready to take evasive action to the left when the driver saw me and slowed. So I continued across.

Gary E

Veteran
Yeah sorry, what I meant to say was 'let's have a fight' :cursing:

Give way.jpg

Like I said, this is the way I saw it.

I'll shut up now :blush:

Gary E

Veteran
To clarify. The left lane (lane 1) is signed left turn only, except for buses. The bus must enter the straight on bus lane (lane2) through the broken white lines. The solid white line on the right of the bus lane is to ensure that other buses/taxis/cyclists do not enter from the right and collide. The lane to the right of the bus lane (lane 3) clearly states that you must not turn left (at best, a bus may t-bone you, at worst....well, a cyclist wouldn't fair very well.)

Basically, what the car did was turn left at the roundabout from the right hand lane. I'm not particularly upset by the event, I was ready for it, I'd done my lifesaver shoulder check and was ready to take evasive action to the left when the driver saw me and slowed. So I continued across.

Oops, lol. Sorry BlackPanther, you posted while I was writing mine. I was answering Potsy not trying to cause trouble.

One thing we can agree on is it's bloody dangerous out there for us soft and squidgy cyclists, glad you had the awareness to see it coming.

Ride safe :thumbsup:

Top Bottom