Wrong lane driver nearly flattens me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
The first time i watched it paying attention to the bus lane not the arrow in lane 3, i thought the car had taken the correct route to turn left and that the roundabout was stupid. Having rewatched it its obvious the car turned left from the straight-ahead lane, but the roundabout is still a bit stupid.

at this point, who has right of way?

right of way.JPG

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

View attachment 10434

You seem to be using a strange argument that because the roundabout looks a certain way through a helmet cam (it does look misleading), the car driver can suddenly switch lanes and take an exit they aren't supposed to. Topologically this is nonsense, we could redraw the roundabout/junction with the same markings and this argument by would look utterly daft. We don't get people at t junctions saying they have priority if they switch lanes and turn the other way. We don't get cars saying they have priority because a bit of a junction 'looks' straight on.

PK99

Legendary Member
And that means there is such a thing as right of way?

in these two stills from the op.

Who should give way in each case:

Give way 1.JPG

give way 2.JPG

Clue:

From hightway code =Give way.JPG

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sorry, poorly phrased.

Who should give way?
View attachment 10437 View attachment 10438

Sadly, it sounds to be like you're being deliberately obtuse now.

If we redrew the roundabout as a literal square-about or a cross junction you wouldn't be saying this.

Give way to traffic from your right? Yes, except the car is going straight on and is not coming from the right. Your picture is misleading because if you rewind half a second you will see that just before the cyclist gets to the lines the car has partially entered the roundabout, it is not wholly on the roundabout. They enter the roundabout at roughly the same time (there isn't too much in it - the error the cyclist makes is in not thinking person slowing down when they should go might mean they are about to dangerously switch lanes). In this situation the car is cutting in, it is the car that should give way to the bicycle and not the other way round (in actual fact the car should carry on all the way round the roundabout and come back). If you were entering a cross junction you would not say someone switching from the second land to the first lane would have priority in the middle of the junction to switch virtual lanes.

The whole lot is not as important as you think anyway. Why? Because rule 167 tells you who has priority in this situation! The highway code thinks it is so important that it even tells us not a should, but a higher ranking DO NOT.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike

View attachment 10434
The roundabout is only confusing as you approach it for the first time, in the sense that the left lane emerges from the bus lane rather than the left lane of car traffic. :smile:

As BP approaches the dotted line, he should give way to traffic already on the roundabout (which he does). That doesnt include a car joining the roundabout from the same direction as him, because they should be joining the roundabout in different lanes. In the second picture you posted later, BP is on the roundabout and has priority over traffic joining from the left behind the white dotted line.

What youre effectively trying to argue is that on roundabouts where the dotted line is not exactly perpendicular to traffic flow on the joining road (ie. pretty much every big roundabout), that because one lane joins it before another has instant priority and can cut accross lanes like a maniac. :crazy:

/Resident of Roundabout City ;)

Reactions: gaz
OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
As BP approaches the dotted line, he should give way to traffic already on the roundabout (which he does).

/Resident of Roundabout City ;)

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou

I really think that a lot of the views expressed just cannot grasp that the fact that driver on my left was level with me, in a straight on lane. He shouldn't be turning left. Anyone who finds themselves in the wrong lane should just go around the roundabout. If everyone who thinks I was in the wrong lane could just watch the video again with the following in mind. How could a cyclist/bus/taxi, use this bus lane without taking the exact route that I did.......well, they couldn't. I see dozens of bus/cyclist/taxis use this lane every week. using the same line I did. I agree that iit's not the best laid out junction ever.

TBH, one of the reasons for posting the vid, was because it was my first day with the rear view cam. The driver saw me, I saw him. We both reacted. No harm done. Hey, I even only swore under my breath. BUT, the vid also shows how we have to be fully aware of what's around us at all times. In future, traffic to my right will get a brief parp of Airzound. We're all learning all the time.

Reactions: gaz
I borrowed a friend's recumbant once and was so astounded that I could pedal hard while cranked over that I went round a big roundabout flat out until my lungs almost burst. Huge, huge fun.

Not a proper bicycle of course, but fast and crazy and I could pedal while cranked right over.

Sorry... What was this thread about?

Top Bottom