Wrong lane driver nearly flattens me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I borrowed a friend's recumbant once and was so astounded that I could pedal hard while cranked over that I went round a big roundabout flat out until my lungs almost burst. Huge, huge fun.

Not a proper bicycle of course, but fast and crazy and I could pedal while cranked right over.

Sorry... What was this thread about?

Wouldn't mind trying a recumbent sometime.

The thread is about interpretation of a really crap looking road layout.

The bus lane may have been designed by a cycle lane designer.
In my opinion the bus lane should phase out before the roundabout allowing traffic to merge across, rather than providing a left turn opportunity across a straight-on lane on it's left. It's krap! :sad:

Congrats to the OP on the avoidance! :thumbsup:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
It's the 'racecourse roundabout', I would say outside the Grand St Leger Hotel, but that ref puts you a few hundred yards away on googlemaps. It's the junction of Bawtry Rd, Leger way, Bennethorpe and Carr House Rd. BPs vid has him joining from Bawtry Rd.
Unfortunately, if you check the layout through google, the aerial view is before the 'improvement' to include the bus lane. The streetview appears to be during the works.
link- may work?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I borrowed a friend's recumbant once and was so astounded that I could pedal hard while cranked over that I went round a big roundabout flat out until my lungs almost burst. Huge, huge fun.

Not a proper bicycle of course, but fast and crazy and I could pedal while cranked right over.

Sorry... What was this thread about?

Clearly you've never ridden fixed then, at least not with a track frame. Oh, and I reckon you're telling lies about the recumbent too, you wouldn't have been out of breath but out of legs.

j/k

Clearly you've never ridden fixed then, at least not with a track frame. Oh, and I reckon you're telling lies about the recumbent too, you wouldn't have been out of breath but out of legs.
j/k

:smile: Never on a track frame - in fact I'm not sure I'd recognise one if I saw one. But most of my fun riding is done on a botched-up fixed-gear bike made out of an old steel Claud Butler road bike. I'm afraid I've never even been to a track. :sad: But seriously... One thing I've never suffered on my fixed-gear is pedal strike. My local LBS owner has horror stories about it from when he rode fixed as winter training. I think I'm just too chicken to get down in the tight bends. And in the fast sweepers only the tyres touch.

On the recumbant, it really was my lungs. It didn't help that I was laughing, which messed with my breathing.

It was maybe ten or twelve years ago and the bike was built on a section of aluminium from the boom of a racing yacht. That allowed the seat and pedals to slide along the length of the frame/spar/boom and be pinch-clamped in place. I seem to remember it was a Dutch machine, but that may not be so. A very elegant and simple concept, but not pretty.

I was amazed that it was so stable and quite staggered at its ability to grip and turn into bends. The high pedals, the low C of G and the excellent stability all helped in corners. It was one of my most memorable rides on a bicycle, although I recall a sensation that there were chains flailing about in inappropriate places. Not a proper bicycle, but a great ride nonetheless.

I only ever rode it twice and it was quite intoxicating - not unlike my first go on a fixie or (as a child) my first go on dropped bars with 5 gears.

Don't take my post seriously mate, I was just having a little leg pull. :smile:

I didn't. I quite liked it.

But my fingers just started to type.... :sad:

Sorry....

Out of interest, do they still make those things built on a section of racing-yacht boom? I imagine it is fairly ante-deluvian compared to what is available today, but it was over a decade ago and the machine was by no means young even then.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
:smile: Never on a track frame - in fact I'm not sure I'd recognise one if I saw one.
The BB's are higher up than on a standard bike, as the pedals need clearence for the track.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Wouldn't mind trying a recumbent sometime.

Assuming there's only one Kilnhurst (Rotherham), I'm only a half an hour ride away in sunny Scawthorpe (Doncaster.) You and indeed anyone looking in to recumbents are more than welcome to have a ride on mine, just PM me. I have an Ice Trice trike (which is a piece of P to ride, and a trickier to master 2 wheel high racer Bacchetta Strada.

Oh, I said it's a half an hour ride..........that's on a 'bent, so it's probably 40-45 minutes on a 'normal' bike.:thumbsup:

Out of interest, do they still make those things built on a section of racing-yacht boom? I imagine it is fairly ante-deluvian compared to what is available today, but it was over a decade ago and the machine was by no means young even then.

Sounds like a fair description of my ride which is an elderly Linear. Not Dutch, American, not racing yacht boom as far as I know, but an ally box section with pinch-clamped on parts. Available new and rather lushly improved from Mr Peter Stull of New York State. (Disclaimer: no connection) Occasionally available on ebay in older version which has indifferent brakes and a tendency to bend the rear stays right under heavy load. Immense fun either way.

Assuming there's only one Kilnhurst (Rotherham), I'm only a half an hour ride away in sunny Scawthorpe (Doncaster.) You and indeed anyone looking in to recumbents are more than welcome to have a ride on mine, just PM me. I have an Ice Trice trike (which is a piece of P to ride, and a trickier to master 2 wheel high racer Bacchetta Strada.

Oh, I said it's a half an hour ride..........that's on a 'bent, so it's probably 40-45 minutes on a 'normal' bike.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer ^_^

GrasB

Veteran
in these two stills from the op.

Who should give way in each case:

View attachment 10439
BP only if the car was indicating intent to turn left! So as there was no indication is turning lights & the road position was marked as a lane for going straight on or to the right. For this reason the car becomes an overtaking vehicle, which thus means they are suppost to keep clear of the vehicle to their near side.

Top Bottom