Bus lane solid lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You could construct a system where it would be illegal to do cross out of the bus lane even for an authorised vehicles, but that would depend on other signs and markings. In general this is the case, but it is not the case for all bus lanes or all bus lanes that could be constructed.

Yes, it's possible, I guess. However, we're not talking special case scenarios, but just general bus lanes. I don't think I can think of any special cases where the bus lane has been designed as you suggest. Can anyone else?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
In Leeds the 'A65 Bus Corridor' is nearing completion and the time where I will have to choose to do this is nearing, I'm looking forward to being able to up my pace a little as I'll have a full lane rather than a scabby little 'cycle lane' but the potential conflict with bus's does concern me. No substitute for experience I suppose so will just have to get used to it.

Yes, it can be quite intimidating, and I accept it's much easier in London since the bus drivers are so much more used to cyclists now, and drive to a more tolerant and higher standard.

My logic is that if I'm to the left, that's even more dangerous with a wide and long vehicle like a bus approaching from behind, so I need still more space to ensure the same amount of safety for myself.

Mike!

Guru
After an accident between a bus and a cycist (who crossed the white line without checking their blind spot) the police here said the cyclist shouldn't have crossed it :huh:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, it's possible, I guess. However, we're not talking special case scenarios, but just general bus lanes. I don't think I can think of any special cases where the bus lane has been designed as you suggest. Can anyone else?

Not, but they could exist. The vast, vast majority of bus lanes you can obviously cross the line. I have a niggling feeling I have seen one such bus lane somewhere far away from where I live.

marinyork

After an accident between a bus and a cycist (who crossed the white line without checking their blind spot) the police here said the cyclist shouldn't have crossed it :huh:

In their opinion. If you had a collision you would go to a countback situation.

marinyork

Yes, it can be quite intimidating, and I accept it's much easier in London since the bus drivers are so much more used to cyclists now, and drive to a more tolerant and higher standard.

My logic is that if I'm to the left, that's even more dangerous with a wide and long vehicle like a bus approaching from behind, so I need still more space to ensure the same amount of safety for myself.

The new road vastly widened road they've built looks more intimidating. I'm not sure it will actually be that way though. The concern I have is that widening and looking like the road has been streamlined would encourage buses and cars to break the speed limit.

Top Bottom