Bus pass applied for.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I was a mere youth of 47 when I joined this forum, nearly 13 years ago. Scary!

By simple maths that makes you 60, as I'm 62 I'd not heard of this free pass I thought I'd check, with the following results

If you're in Scotland it's 60
If you're in Wales it's 60
If you're in Northern Ireland it's 60
If you live in the centre of the universe as long as you are traveling in the centre of the universe it's 60
But if you live outside the centre of the universe live in the rest of the UK it's State Pension age which for me is another 5 years

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I drive every day for work, but it's only part time and I'm home by eleven. I started using my bus pass when I packed in full time work and enjoyed it, a nice rural run into one of three towns with the furthest (Cardigan) twenty miles away.

I stopped using buses when Covid struck, but now it seems to be at a very low level I think it's time to start again. When you are not in a rush it is a relaxing way to travel, sitting gazing through the window at sights you miss when driving, or doing a bit of people watching. I would not like it as my sole means of transport though, too slow and inflexible.

vickster

Legendary Member
By simple maths that makes you 60, as I'm 62 I'd not heard of this free pass I thought I'd check, with the following results

If you're in Scotland it's 60
If you're in Wales it's 60
If you're in Northern Ireland it's 60
If you live in the centre of the universe as long as you are traveling in the centre of the universe it's 60
But if you live outside the centre of the universe live in the rest of the UK it's State Pension age which for me is another 5 years

Time to move to Greater London then...not only free buses, but also trains, tubes, DLR, Crossrail (from next week), trams off peak...

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/using-pass ;)

Oh and buses throughout the whole of England

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Sadly, we do not get free bus passes in Denmark. We do get reduced rates ln the trains when we become pensioners though. It would be great to get on the bus with the Brompton and travel a few miles and then ride home.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would rather have a triple heart bypass without anaesthetic than live there thank you, sorry but I am occasionally forced to visit the place & can't wait to wipe my feet on the way out.

Fair enough. Don’t moan about waiting longer for your bus pass then…or lobby the necessary politicians…

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It would appear, from previous posts, we are quite fortunate (not as fortunate as London dwellers, perhaps, that is not a moan, by the way).

We have a bus-stop about 150 yards away, bus roughly every 15 minutes, free. Cannot remember the last time I drove into any of the nearby towns. We also have a Metro system, which, for £12/year, we can travel on "free", off peak. Bicycles are allowed on the Metro, off peak (there are some stations where you cannot get on/off with a bicycle), and, some local buses allow bicycles onboard (subject to priority for disabled passenger).

There has to be some advantage in being old! ;)

I don't use the free bus pass very often except for nights out when I will be drinking alcohol, but it is going to come in handy soon when I have to go into the city centre each day for two weeks while I have to do jury service. Could kill two birds with one stone by having a drink on jury service.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Had mine over a year now and still haven't used it.
MrsD gets hers this month, so we might surf the local buses just to pass the time. :laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Brandane I've still got 8 months to go before I get my bus pass ^_^
I'll be still cycling to work and to most places, but I might retire the ice bike, take the bus to work when it's icy.
My ice tyres are almost perished.
They did last 10 years, not worth getting another pair because I'm not going to be working for another 10 years :laugh:

Top Bottom