Bus pass applied for.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Although not free, you can also make a senior Railcard pay. Get the train and cycle back. One way cycle and if you're knackered, get the train back. Or take your bike on the train, explore and return.

Using the train one way has been my M.O. for years :smile:. I live 2 minutes from a station with an hourly service. None of this battling a headwind on a bike for me, let the train do that bit and cycle with the wind, whatever direction it is blowing from.

Buses should be banned . as they hold up the traffic . They cause more pollution because of the backlog of traffic behind them . Must be 30 years since I set foot on those germ boxes

Buses are traffic.

Unless you only count cars as traffic, unlike bikes, buses, lorries, tractors, or anything else that might interfere with the car drivers' need to get from A to B without any hindrance.

I assume you have a factual source for the claim that it is buses that cause the hold ups and pollution rather than the amount of traffic in general.
Incidentally I would have thought that generally it is 4x4s that cause more pollution than sensible cars in areas which have a lot of bus traffic.

I love my bus pass and it's one of the big reasons I bought a folding bike. Fold the bike and onto the bus I go!
When I first got my bus pass, 15 years ago, I travelled to a course in Oxford with it. Took me three days to get there, with 2 nights b&b on the way, and I had a great time. I did come back by train, though - it cost me less than another 2 nights b&b would've!
A little judicious studying of the regulations, timetables and T & Cs, and you might well be surprised where you can go even if it's not with your bike. There are some simply stunning bus routes which you could pay a high price to take a coach tour along, and which you simply can't appreciate from the generally-low viewpoint of a car even if you're a passenger.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I do have a bus pass but never use it nowadays. I cannot walk as far as the nearest stop so would need to get a taxi at £3 each way and getting on a ferry would be a problem. Getting off the ferry to come home would be worse as I would have to race the tourists to get on a bus at all assuming there is one to meet that ferry anyway.
Car the whole way I am afraid and it gives me easy access to emergency accommodation if ferries are cancelled.

iandg

Legendary Member
Haven't applied for the bus pass yet. When I move to the new place it's on a bus route and I'll do it then (I'll be about 11 miles out of town and on the main Annan - Dumfries bus route).

Got me a Senior Railcard last week as I am heading down to Birmingham next week.

vickster

Legendary Member
I might apply for a disability bus pass, but do I need one now that I've been granted a blue disabled car parking badge?🤔 Then I have to ask if someone wearing tweeds might look inappropriate on public transport? 🤔

Yeah, but by the time you reach 60 they'll have been phased out!:okay:

Same for me when I reach 66.:ninja:

So I’ll cycle or pay for my transport :okay:

Top Bottom