Buses Pulling up in front of Cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobWard

Ok, This has been a long running argument with cyclist and bus drivers.
The cyclist usually says "That bus just overtook me and then pulled in a stopped!"

As a bus driver myself, I can say this is not on purpose. Many bus drivers have on going training in the classroom as part of a CPC. We watch many videos on health and safety Some also cover cycle videos. So many bus drivers do understand the roads cyclist face and many do hold back, give them space and plenty of room when overtaking.
Now imagine a bus driver doing just that. He sees a cyclist ahead of him, He holds back and leaves a safe space. As soon as it is safe to do so the bus driver then overtakes, again giving plenty of space. Then! Through no fault of the driver, a passenger rings the bell for the next stop!
Bus driver signals and pulls in. You now have one very angry cyclist blaming the bus driver. Trust me, its not always the drivers fault.
#JustSaying :cycle:

Why not brake and then pull in behind the cyclist?

The bit about overtaking and THEN a passenger pulls the bell for a stop? If they were alongside then I'm sure that braking and pulling in behind would be the usual behaviour.

I must say that I have the greatest respect for the drivers of the Nottingham buses who regularly proved to be some of the most professional and considerate road users around me. I expect that is not unique to Nottingham...

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: Silverdale was on the route of the Mille Pennines audax (1-4 July), en route to Arnside, Windermere, Seascale and beyond.
Most cyclists realise that public service bus drivers won't know whether they're going to have to stop till near the stop. Those that don't realise, haven't thought about it - you have explained a situation that occurs all the time. A cyclist with a positive outlook sees whether he could then get past (while the bus is stopped) and if not safe, resign him/herself to wait a minute. My experience of public service bus drivers is overwhelmingly positive - unlike coach drivers, far too many of whom mgif. And I think you've already answered @User query.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The bit about overtaking and THEN a passenger pulls the bell for a stop? If they were alongside then I'm sure that braking and pulling in behind would be the usual behaviour.

I must say that I have the greatest respect for the drivers of the Nottingham buses who regularly proved to be some of the most professional and considerate road users around me. I expect that is not unique to Nottingham...
Nope , i am more than happy with the bus drivers around the Twickenham area of London also .

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Could always stop at the next convenient and safe place, ie: after the rider has removed him/herself from the left side of the vehicle.

This can be achieved by releasing a thing called an accelerator and pressing a thing called a brake pedal

Or (I know I'm on a roll)

Not overtake the cyclist?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I had a bus driver start to overtake me in east London, he got about three-quarters past me and then pulled in, leaving me absolutely nowhere to go. While he was still at the bus stop I made my way round to the driver's window and asked him what the furk he was doing. He answered that he'd overtaken because I was going too slowly. Given that he couldn't complete the overtake because I was ''going so slowly'', would the OP accept that the driver was a self-deluding cackgargler?

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Along side, then yes. Most drivers do check their near side mirror before pulling in and if they see a cyclist along side he/she will wait for cyclist to pass.
If the bus has already passed the cyclist. Driver will still check near side mirror. Most cyclist do pull up and allow the bus to cut in a stop. The very few will pedal harder.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think London bus drivers actually know where the stops are, otherwise they'd be preparing to stop by slowing. Surely there's always the possibility someone may ring the bell?

One of my pet peeves with bus drivers I'm afraid. Approaching a bus stop, they should expect to have to stop, don't overtake the cyclist. Some are able to grasp this but I think around here at least they are not in the majority

I think the word 'overtakes' seems to have different meanings to different people.
To me it means actually 'completes an overtaking manoeuvre.' not 'attempts a pass and then pulls in while the cyclist is on the left of the vehicle'.
I'm hoping it means the same to RobWard as myself.

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

I had a bus driver start to overtake me in east London, he got about three-quarters past me and then pulled in, leaving me absolutely nowhere to go. While he was still at the bus stop I made my way round to the driver's window and asked him what the furk he was doing. He answered that he'd overtaken because I was going too slowly. Given that he couldn't complete the overtake because I was ''going so slowly'', would the OP accept that the driver was a self-deluding cackgargler?

If he left you absolutely nowhere to go. Then how did you get past to stop near the drivers window?. If you managed to overtake him, why not just keep going.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have once seen a bus pull in on a cyclist, who had to brake to avoid being pushed over the kerb. However that is exceptional in my experience.
Generally, as others say, it's a matter of give-and-take, and understanding each others requirements.
Riding away from the kerb will mean a bus has to move out further to pass. This will do several things, including: 1) make the driver less likely to pass then immediately pull in; 2) make it easier to move smoothly to the outside of the bus should it slow down ahead of you, ready to pass it as it stops.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The number of times i've had a bus(wagons are the same)revving,braking behind me where i've then moved over and waved him past, realising they have a schedule to keep, then they don't acknowledge my gesture, i've bloody well lost count!!:thumbsdown: I don't have to move over so why not give me a little wave or put their hazards on for a few flashes as they pass?

crazyjoe101

I've hardly ever been on a bus in London that hasn't stopped at every single stop, so when a bus pulls in seconds after passing me it can seem a little futile but as long as the overtake was safe then I don't really care. Bus drivers are the least of one's worries in London.

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

I think the word 'overtakes' seems to have different meanings to different people.
To me it means actually 'completes an overtaking manoeuvre.' not 'attempts a pass and then pulls in while the cyclist is on the left of the vehicle'.
I'm hoping it means the same to RobWard as myself.

Like I said "once the bus has passed" not along side then pull in to stop. That would be classed as attempted murder!!

Top Bottom