"But I would cycle 5000 miles" / The CC 2014 comitment thread / Right Here, Right Now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
And I would cycle 5000 more
Just to be to man that cycled 10,000 miles
To fall down at your door
Du-duh-dah, Du-duh-dah, Du-duh-dah, Du-duh-dah,
Duh-duddle-duddle-dubble-duddle-duh-da...

Ok, after having some honest reflection on 2013, I have come to that conclusion that, for a multitude of reasons and amongst other things, it has personally been frankly a piss poor year in the saddle.

So, after reading the "Mileage this year" and "2014 aspirations" threads, I have decided to unashamedly rip them both off to create this one. This has, in all probability, already been done. But I haven't posted on those threads so I can't come back to them in my post history, hence I'm taking the lazy option and creating this one. That's not a great omen for the year coming, but we'll see.

Here it is. As a specific target, I am setting 5000 miles for 2014.

That's a stupidly large number. Well, it is for me.

Divide by 12, and you get 416.7 per calender month. That still seems quite high.

Divide by 4 weeks (we'll call the extra 2/3 days per month bonus days at this point) and that's 140.2 per week. That's high, but not beyond the absolute realms of possibilities. A few centuries or near-centuries over the year should sort that out amongst 'normal' running.

That's either a 52.1 mile ride on each of my 2 days off per week (work holidays suddenly look triply more inviting) - at an average speed of 12 mph that's 4.33 hours (or one morning or afternoon or early wake-up or post-dinner-ride dedicated to it for each day off for the year)

Or, alternatively, 14.2 (lets round it up to 15) miles per the full 7 days (Just over an hour a day at 12mph, not taking into account extended rides on days-off or holidays).

A 15 mile ride actually doesn't seem that daunting that all. In fact, when I'm "fit" I would scoff at 15 miles as a ride. The question is can I average that each day, every day next (this) year?

And that's the challenge I have set myself; right here, right now (Fatboy Slim). 5000 miles should (/italics) be achievable in theory. Its purely a question of discipline.

I fully expect myself to be down in the month-by-month arithmetic come mid-Feb to March, but then the incentive will be there to get out on those summer evenings when the weather is fine to make the deficit back up and build a lead.

So anybody else in? For 5000 miles in 12 months?

Or, do the same math to find a daily/weekly average you deem a stretch, extrapolate it out to the year and think, "yep, x, lets go for it"?

Hopfeully in 365 days time, me, you and everyone else will be able to create a follow up thread that says "yep, we done it, post here".

Strava links optional.

colly

Re member eR
I reckon you have been on the sauce.
Have two weeks off and ride 100 per week.

If you have already made your mind up you can do 140 a week you should be laughing.:thumbsup:

You could have had a beer instead of writing that. Why not just join @ianrauk and friends on My Cycling Log...and be motivated in a collective way. http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mycyclinglog.47511/
Otherwise just ride, without a counter and enjoy. Need, or fancy doing something else when you 'should' be out riding? Don't worry; whatever you do, you're doing more than the majority. Have fun. Good luck.
As you mentioned Fatboy Slim, and as it's a gentle New Year's Day, and as I'm lounging around rather than out busting a bollock trying to scavenge miles to boost my target for 2014, and because I like this bit of music...'Acid 8000'

berty bassett

Legendary Member
sorry to be a moaning minnie but as i said to my maths teacher once - where the hell did you get that number from ?!! divide 416 by 4 isnt 140 or have i got to stay behind again - in my eyes 5000 is well do-able if your up for it - its less than 100 a week - granted its not nice out there now but in summer you'll easy be banging miles in - go for it and have a happy new year - and anyway what have you got to lose

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
sorry to be a moaning minnie but as i said to my maths teacher once - where the hell did you get that number from ?!! divide 416 by 4 isnt 140 or have i got to stay behind again - in my eyes 5000 is well do-able if your up for it - its less than 100 a week - granted its not nice out there now but in summer you'll easy be banging miles in - go for it and have a happy new year - and anyway what have you got to lose
I suspect it was more like 104 per week, and the fingers got the 0 and the 4 muddled....

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I suspect it was more like 104 per week, and the fingers got the 0 and the 4 muddled....
now if me maths teacher had just explained like that :blush:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been riding between 4500 and 5000 miles a year for over 20 years now, 5000 would be an achievable target, for last couple of years before I brought the car my mileage was around 5500 a year, just go for it.

Top Bottom