Butchering a Brooks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Reasons: redundancy, aesthetics, they get in the way of a modern saddle-pack.

Seriously - only your grandad uses that kind of saddlebag! :whistle:
002.JPG

Oi, nowt wrong with Carradice saddlebags although I will admit that this one needs a rack too to support it, oh and BTW that is the B5n that John gave me (note 'gave') but he's also the guy that built those wheels onto the Maillard hubs I restored/rebuilt. He also gave me those 'wingnuts' on the front wheel with the comment "Here have these, I've been 'stocktaking' them for the past 50yrs or so"

OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
View attachment 392101

Oi, nowt wrong with Carradice saddlebags although I will admit that this one needs a rack too to support it, oh and BTW that is the B5n that John gave me (note 'gave') but he's also the guy that built those wheels onto the Maillard hubs I restored/rebuilt. He also gave me those 'wingnuts' on the front wheel with the comment "Here have these, I've been 'stocktaking' them for the past 50yrs or so"
Hmmm... steel frame, downtube shifters, Weinmann dual-pull levers, Brooks saddle, mudguards and rack, Carradice bag, wing nuts!!!! QED? :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hmmm... steel frame, downtube shifters, Weinmann dual-pull levers, Brooks saddle, mudguards and rack, Carradice bag, wing nuts!!!! QED? :laugh:
Old style QR for the front wheel. :becool:

TBH I keep meaning to nick the 105GS rear mech from my 531 Raleigh 'Road Ace' and put the 105 shortcage currently fitted to that Raleigh Equipe onto the 531 so I can swap to the Ultegra HT11 triple (instead of that 105 HT11 crank fitted at the mo) that I've got in the shed but I've been 'getting round to it' for a while now. :rolleyes:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My Ti bespoke machine with ergo changers carries a Carradice saddlebag (one of three in fact, depending on requirements). Quite modern—still made today.

I've moved away from Brooks cos the new ones seem to be of lower quality. Berthoud or Rivet are nicer, I think.

OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Ah but the 'wingnuts' are gorgeous (ally arms and a steel nut) and although I could have replaced the solid axle with a hollow one (and QR) but that wouldn't have got the 'look' I was after (and they work just as well)
"QR" = "Easy to nick"!

OP
OP
Edgy Dee

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Old style QR for the front wheel. :becool:

TBH I keep meaning to nick the 105GS rear mech from my 531 Raleigh 'Road Ace' and put the 105 shortcage currently fitted to that Raleigh Equipe onto the 531 so I can swap to the Ultegra HT11 triple (instead of that 105 HT11 crank fitted at the mo) that I've got in the shed but I've been 'getting round to it' for a while now. :rolleyes:
Just do it man!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Reasons [for sawing off the saddlebag loops]: redundancy, aesthetics, they get in the way of a modern saddle-pack.
Seriously - only your grandad uses that kind of saddlebag! :whistle:
Loops are not redundant. I think that they actually add to a saddle's character (vice aesthetics). Perhaps you could share what you mean by a 'modern saddle bag?
Not a grandad yet. This bag provides excellent accessible storage and attaches to the saddle loops (of a 1970s Brooks Competition). With a drybag for overnight stuff this setup (pictured) did me OK for a 9 day solo unsupported end-to-end, and without the extra bag for Mille Pennines and LEL last year.

upload_2018-1-18_22-39-9.png

Brooks 'Competition' leather saddle - does the business and no issues, and chats away during the ride to let me know it's there.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-18_22-24-10.png
    upload_2018-1-18_22-24-10.png
    590.4 KB · Views: 55

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's fine: you don't use it, so you remove it*, but you'd have too be blind not to notice how many still use carradice these days. Probably about has commons as ... I don't know, leather saddles?
Not just Carradice. @Ajax Bay has posted a pic of a Raleigh one. I've attached a Highlander to Brooks bag loops by using thinner straps than when hooking to the rails, although my Brooks saddles are currently on a shelf instead of bikes.

"QR" = "Easy to nick"!
Quick Robbery.

Bodhbh

Guru
Silly question which begs answering: Why is the Swallow so much more expensive than the B17 when it has much less material? It appears to use all the *same* material. The B17s and Swallows are aimed at different demographics and it's a matter of what the target market will pay for a saddle?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Even in the early 1960s bag loops were considered uncool by some - I had a B17 Professional on my Ted Gerrard - no bag loops, big copper rivets. I remember cycling down from Birmingham to Worthing on the south coast, to meet the rest of the family, who'd gone by train - two days, overnight stop at the YHA in Streetly and Goring (?), carrying all my needs in a musette sewn together for me by my mum. Cool racing men didn't use saddlebags in those days - certainly not!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
To get back to the original post.

I think thats a good job. I have a B17 screwed to my workshop ceiling. I think i will give this a go.

Top Bottom