Leather saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Leather is the skin of a dead animal. Is it just me or does anyone else find this strange and repellant?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Leather is the skin of a dead animal. Is it just me or does anyone else find this strange and repellant?
It's not just you but I think the argument is that the animals are rarely killed for the skin and it means more animals get to live because of this extra use... but "mock leather" saddles are available, are slightly cheaper and the ones I've got work fine, although I've not got a Brooks-style one yet. There's also the Brooks Cambiums, which I've also not tried. Any reports?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

it isn't just you, there are other people who think the same way as you, but not everyone.

I am sat here eating my ham and cheese sandwich and I have 2 Brooks leather saddles. I also have several synthetic saddles.

We all have an individual choice.

outlash

also available in orange
There's also the Brooks Cambiums, which I've also not tried. Any reports?

Fitted a Cambium C15 to my Fratello a couple of weeks ago but I've only had a couple of short-ish rides on it (~30 miles) so I can't comment on long term comfort, so far it feels pretty good.

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Cambium what a daft name for a saddle, if i remember right its something to do with trees, maybe its made of wood, I know it felt as hard when i saw one in a shop.

outlash

also available in orange
So you want one then?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Creaks. I've now ridden Brooks and Spa for about 5 years but I've finally given up. Not a comfort thing, just that there are more than enough places for strange noises to come from on my bike without the saddle being one of them. So I've moved both road bikes to Charge Spoons

Charge spoon here as well, I thought I had broken my backside into the saddle that came with my Boardman but unfortunately that was not the case. I have used Charge spoon on other bikes and found them extremely comfortable.

Not at all, I eat meat, I wear leather shoes, wear leather jackets and have a leather covered saddle, no issues here.

ANT 666

Trying to re member
So you want one then?
Nah dont think so, ive tried various saddles over the years but the ones that work for me are selle italia flight, got them on all six beasties now.
They are such a personal thing that advice is well meant but meaningless as you just have to find what is right for you, I know it can be expensive to find out but hell its worth ever penny when you get it right.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What's the point of the stitching? I would have thought that'd create a rub-fest.
The leather on the cheaper saddles isn't prepared the same way as Brooks and will splay out and sag if it isn't laced together at the sides.

Now that my Nidd is thoroughly broken in I've had that trouble and needed to make extra holes for more lacing to keep it in shape as mentioned in the update to my review: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/spa-nidd-saddle.145150/post-4243571

GuyBoden

Guru
The little pack with the spanner in tied to the saddles in the ebay pics is the same as the one which came tied to my Spa Nidd.

The fore/aft markings on the rail are the same.

Seems likely both saddles are made by the same company.

Yes, I think you're right, they're probably made by the same company. It seems ok on the first few rides, if a bit hard, but obviously, it will take hundreds of miles for it to properly settle in.

Ajax Bay

Guru
After a few years of commuting in the early 70s the only item I saved from the bike was the Brooks: a 'Brooks Competition' - below. Pleased with my prescience, 40 years later I fitted it again to my new (to me) bike: it remains very comfortable (5000+km in last 8 months (off for the winter till 1 March)).
Brooks Competition.JPG

Top Bottom