Leather saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ah, I took the laces off mine - they were in the way of the clamp.

I wondered if they were supposed to go back on.

It's unlikely I will do enough miles on it to do a proper spread test.
If yours is anything like mine, removing (or loosening as I did) the laces will make it more comfortable when brand new but as it starts to break in (say around 500 to 1000 miles) you'll want them back as it spreads out in a way that Brooks saddles don't.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If yours is anything like mine, removing (or loosening as I did) the laces will make it more comfortable when brand new but as it starts to break in (say around 500 to 1000 miles) you'll want them back as it spreads out in a way that Brooks saddles don't.

I'm sure the man in Spa said spread could be dealt with by winding up the tension bolt, although I suppose that might not work if the leather itself has become soft.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm sure the man in Spa said spread could be dealt with by winding up the tension bolt, although I suppose that might not work if the leather itself has become soft.
I'd tend to disagree with that. I don't think mine lacks tension but what has happened is that as the sides have spread out a ridge has developed along the centre line which is pressing in "soft" places :blink:.

Tightening up the sides today has pulled the support back up under the area where the sit bones rest and reduced the ridge. It needs a proper test ride to be sure but already feels much better to sit on.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The Nidd on my Spa bike was as others stated, rock hard to start with!
I can't say that it was ever painful but it was certainly unyielding.
After a few months use I felt it giving a touch, then it started to creak, so I tensioned it.... Now I'm back to square one!

I'm sure it will be the gift that eventually gives, if not I might take the excellent advice from @Crackle

Ajax Bay

Guru
Brooks 'Competiton' from the 70s: shows I haven't been riding enough.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I like the Brooks quite well, but I use it on the Raleigh Sports only, as I use a Chinese leather saddle on my commuter, or a Georgena Terry Liberator(leather covered), and I use the original Concor on my Trek 600. I also have a fully sprung imitation leather saddle I usually use on the Raleigh in cold weather, or bad neighborhoods (like downtown, where the hipsters might pinch the Brooks).

contadino

Veteran
The Nidd on my Spa bike was as others stated, rock hard to start with!
I can't say that it was ever painful but it was certainly unyielding.
After a few months use I felt it giving a touch, then it started to creak, so I tensioned it.... Now I'm back to square one!

I'm sure it will be the gift that eventually gives, if not I might take the excellent advice from @Crackle

My Nidd is exactly the same. I don't know how much to tighten the tensioning bolt though.

I've erred on the side of caution because I read that there is a limited number of times you can do that. The problem is that every 100 miles or so the tensioning bolt becomes a little loose and needs retightening.

I'm thinking of applying a little threadlock to try and stop it working loose.

Top Bottom