Leather saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What do you make of leather saddles?

Early impressions of my Spa Nidd saddle are favourable.

It's hard, doesn't feel particularly comfortable or uncomfortable, but there are no unpleasant pressure points.

The slight sag in the middle is good for fore/aft location, I can slip around a bit on other saddles.

I've gone for a slight nose-up aspect which seems to put less pressure on my sit bones, and make overall contact more even.

Hopefully, the saddle will continue to suit me for some time, I've liked some saddles initially in the past but gone off them after a few months.

The pic was taken early this morning, just before the saddle got a weather test - rain, hail, and snow.

No harm done, the water wipes off the shiny surface.

Saddle.1.jpg

See the sea. Well you missed a golden opportunity to fling it in and ride home on the more comfortable seat post.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Brooks Flyer on the fun lightweight here but it's not practical to leave a Brooks on a parked bike IMO (it might still be there if parked in Lynn, probably won't in Cambridge, very unlikely in London) so I've currently a BrevM Sellino on the workhorse (reviewed over in the reviews section), a Selle Royal trekking on the folder, a debranded vinyl mattress and a Madison Anatomic for the other bikes.

fatjel

Veteran
First leather saddle was a Nidd.. I found it quite hard and uncomfortable.
Not painful tho ..
Replaced it with a Brooks B17 which was instantly more comfortable

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
brooks b17 on commuter/winter bike; means i can use crap cycling gear on the 63km commute without discomfort…

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
B17 on the shopper bike, very comfortable from the start, only ride that bike in jeans or chinos no padded gear.

Brooks Swallow titanium on the road bike, always ride with padded shorts, very comfortable now but took a bit of getting used to. I did have the same saddle on the hybrid but didn't get on with it.

I like a bit if leather on the rear me.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My experience is that they aren't perfect but I find I can ride further in (relative) comfort on a leather saddle than any of the plastic ones I've had.

I have the Nidd on my knockabout bike and it's been pretty good. It was rock hard to start with but got better with use and now after 4000 miles on it the leather has softened significantly..... which has presented its own problems lately, so today I've made some extra holes in the side flaps and have laced it up properly so it doesn't spread out like it was doing with the supplied laces.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My experience is that they aren't perfect but I find I can ride further in (relative) comfort on a leather saddle than any of the plastic ones I've had.

I have the Nidd on my knockabout bike and it's been pretty good. It was rock hard to start with but got better with use and now after 4000 miles on it the leather has softened significantly..... which has presented its own problems lately, so today I've made some extra holes in the side flaps and have laced it up properly so it doesn't spread out like it was doing with the supplied laces.

Ah, I took the laces off mine - they were in the way of the clamp.

I wondered if they were supposed to go back on.

It's unlikely I will do enough miles on it to do a proper spread test.

Top Bottom