Buying a 2nd battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yeah but if you had a cheaper generic/budget battery that could output the same voltage/current as the Bosch (in this case) charger and a suitable connector then presumably it could be done, unless the Bosch charger communicates with the battery?
Or maybe an inverter between the budget battery and the Bosch charger and battery would work, although that would no doubt be inefficient.

There's no way of connecting a budget battery to the bike.

rualexander

Legendary Member
There's no way of connecting a budget battery to the bike.
I'm not talking about connecting a budget battery to the bike.
I meant some way of using a budget battery to recharge an official branded battery.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not talking about connecting a budget battery to the bike.
I meant some way of using a budget battery to recharge an official branded battery.

Even if you could connect the two batteries together, there's still no way of transferring the charge instantly.

The OP wants to flatten battery number one, stop for a few seconds to instal battery number two, them continue.

You could use (say) 25 W of spare leg power to do it on the flat for long periods of time and get that back for short boosts on climbs. You could also use the generator as a brake rather than converting all your kinetic energy into heat when stopping.

It takes several hours at mains (rectified) current to charge the battery.

The amount of charge you could recover by taking a small amount of leg power and while braking is miniscule.

The inefficiency of the charging process also works against you, it takes more power to recharge a battery than the battery is able to harvest.

Look at it like a bike dynamo.

For a small amount of resistance it's possible to run an LED bulb or two.

To produce enough charge to meaningfully charge a battery would make the bike feel like it was permanently on a steep gradient, which rather defeats the object.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Even if you could connect the two batteries together, there's still no way of transferring the charge instantly.

The OP wants to flatten battery number one, stop for a few seconds to instal battery number two, them continue.

Ah ok, I thought it was for touring overnight where the battery could be recharged after the day's riding. For example in wild camping situations, to extend range between places with mains electricity.

CXRAndy

Guru
E-bike batteries are 36 Volts or more, dynamo are 6 Volts usually. You could have one wound to produce a higher voltage output. The drag producing more voltage and current is not worth the small amount of current to top up the e-bike battery. You're better off buying a bigger battery at the start.

That's why I never did favour the proprietary systems like Bosch, who lock down the whole system.

I went with open software with customised settings of voltage,current and power. I run a 52V battery on a 48V setup

Smudge

Veteran
When out & about on my ebikes, the most often asked question is 'Does it charge while you ride it ?'
I've got so bored of trying to explain the physics of how that wouldn't work, that now i just say 'Yes it does, it has a perpetual motion setting'. I then point to some random button on the display.
They nod and smile knowingly and i can get on with wherever i'm going.

classic33

Leg End Member

CXRAndy

Guru
Having regeneration systems on ebikes, is nothing new. Its been tried before. But they just haven't worked with any success.
Maybe someone will crack it one day, but i'm not going to automatically believe the claims of a company trying to flog their new ebike.

Technically it is correct, whilst ignoring the regen power is derived mostly from human effort ^_^

Smudge

Veteran
Technically it is correct, whilst ignoring the regen power is derived mostly from human effort ^_^

Exactly, you dont get power from nothing. A force has to produce that charging power, and that force would have to come from the rider where ebikes are concerned.
The trick would be developing a small lightweight dynamo, that produces hardly any drag but outputs a lot of charging power. If this holy grail existed, it would already be available.

I saw an electrical engineer commenting that they can make an efficient motor and they can make an efficient generator

what they can;t do is make an efficient motor that will also act as an efficient generator when required
and clearly adding an extra piece of machinery has weight penalties which would be annoying

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I saw an electrical engineer commenting that they can make an efficient motor and they can make an efficient generator

what they can;t do is make an efficient motor that will also act as an efficient generator when required
and clearly adding an extra piece of machinery has weight penalties which would be annoying
The Cruachan pump storage power station at Loch Awe does pretty well! They reckon it is at least 70-80% efficient and maybe better than that.

Top Bottom