Buying a bike for LEJOG...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyRider76

I want to buy a new bike for everyday commuting use, but I'm also planning to do LEJOG next year (probably in May). My quandry is, should I try to buy a bike which will do both jobs (everyday and long distance), or should I go for a decent 'long distance' bike (which I will use specifically for training and proper rides rather than transport), and get a second cheap one (or make do with my existing really old one) for everyday use?

My town is bike-theft-central, so I don't want to leave a half-decent bike around town (locks seem to be no deterrent to theft in broad daylight in busy areas). The most I have previously been prepared to spend on an everyday bike was £300 (plus mudguards, rack etc), which got me what I needed and I was happy to leave in town, but probably isn't going to be ideal for such a long ride.

I'd rather not have to store 2 bikes but can do at a push.

Does anyone have experience of such a dual-purpose bike they can recommend, or other thoughts? I wondered if there was a possibility of hiring a bike for LEJOG but couldn't find anything on this when searching, and probably isn't very practical as you wouldn't have time to get used to the bike in advance.

Thanks for any advice!

si_c

Guru
For touring/commuting, you're going to want something which can take decent size tires, mudguards and panniers. Assuming you want something roadie, how about this one from the inevitable decathlon: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-id_8331275.html Not too expensive either.

Catweasel

I did LEJOG way back when (1982 ish) on a pretty much bog standard bike - and I'd happily do it again on the bike I've got now - a BSO. Make sure you can mount front and rear panniers - and I reckon you're good to go. It's your body that'll take you there, or let you down - not the bike.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don't see the point in buying 2 bikes when 1 will do. Actually, the is bollox when I have 8. But you know what I mean.

That Triban will do the job and they have a great following.

snorri

Legendary Member
I would not by a bike specificallly for LEJOG, it's a relatively short trip in the lifetime of a bicycle, so buy a bike suited to your longer term usage.
A Raleigh Pioneer for about £350 would be a good all round bike for commuting and is well capable of carrying sufficient load for LEJOG, that was what I used and it has since gone on to be my regular utility bicycle.
If you want a bike for longer distance touring then you will have to be prepared to pay out considerably more money.
I'm not sure what you mean by "training and proper rides", but if you were to buy a lightweight bike for that then it might flex worryingly under load on a LEJOG, depending on how much luggage you want to take with you.
I would not be inclined to consider hiring a bike for LEJOG but would want to get the miles in on my own bike over a few months to ensure the bike would be comfortable all day and every day for how ever long you were planning to take.

OP
OP
E

EasyRider76

Thanks for the replies. I should have said I am planning to use hostels/B&Bs rather than camp so not intending to be heavily loaded, however I may well do some shorter rides involving camping so I'll factor in the front panniers too.

By "training and proper rides" I mean where I go out specifically to cycle and won't be getting off the bike and leaving it anywhere (up til now I've just been using my everyday hybrid for this). I'm happy to pay more money for a touring bike, but that would have to be the 2-bike option as I'm not prepared to leave that one in town.

Had a look at the Triban but can't find it in my size - I'll look around for something similar.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Agree with @snorri
Buy the bike for the commute but consider drop bars. The bike you get will need eyes for the rack and mudguards, and have sufficient clearance to fit them.
For end-to-end using hostels/B&B you will not need panniers provided you travel sensibly light. I found that about 20 litres (circa 6kg) was enough and used a largish saddlebag and a drybag underneath it strapped to the rack. A bar bag would be substitute for one of those, but I didn't want to use one. If you're going to start sayaing 'Oh, I may go camping a bit as well, so will need front panniers' then you're widening the bike's specification from your OP.
To balance having a capable bike which is not so attractive to thieves, probably best to go second or third hand, and should get you much better value. Wheels should have eg 32 spokes if you're going to tour: don't buy a bike with low spoked wheels. When considering tyres, buy ones which will do the end-to-end ie touring ones, not 'urban' ones, as wide as the frame clearance allows. Spd not spd-r pedals/cleats. This is better for the commute and when touring allows you to walk around and not need to carry a second pair of footwear.
Does anyone have experience of such a dual-purpose bike they can recommend
This time last year I bought a second hand Dawes Giro Audax 600 (steel 531, Tiagra triple 9 sp) which had been used for several years commuting, with guards, rack and panniers, replaced the (broken) FD, fitted new tyres and cables and rode LEJOG 2 months later - total outlay about £300. Has done about 9000km now.

Last edited:

OB1Knobby

I'm not an expert on commuting but I have completed the End to End twice once in 2013 and the other last month. One trip was mostly roads and the other tow paths and cycle tracks. On both occasions I used a Specialized Sirrus Sport which is a Hybrid bike. If you can get a test ride on one I do not think you would be disappointed.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@EasyRider76 - you did not say how many days you thought you might plan to take for LEJOG, nor do you say what bike you're using to commute at present. Does affect your choice as if 14 days (say) or more then @OB1Knobby counsel is sound. But if you want/need to go faster and not leave roads or very good cycle paths (eg Strawberry Line (Axbridge-Yatton)) or the Great Glen towpath stretches (Ft William (Corpach) to Loch Ness) then you'll probably appreciate something with drops (to give your hands options - YMMV). In May a friend did LEJOG (B&B/AirBnB) on a Giant 'gravel bike' but with 28mm tyres fitted

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Get a decent touring bike for LEJOG, and a Brompton for commuting. Sorted.

Top Bottom