Buying a GPS bike computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Another option is the Mio Cyclo series, I have the 505, but they have newer 405 and 605 series units. Navigation is frankly superb, with decent built in maps, and the interface is really easy to use.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For in depth thorough Garmin & Wahoo reviews tap in DC Rainmaker into google and have a good old read.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
A good old map combined with a certain amount of route preplanning and then drawn out as a 'herringbone route'. Planning my routes this way also helps to keep my ancient grey matter active!
Having a back up along the lines of a 'herringbone route' is a good idea.

I use a Garmin 810 which at the time was their flagship model and superseded by the 820, 1000 and 1030. Note there are 'Explore' options that focus on Navigation and are cheaper than the bundles that for an additional cost include features you may no desire, cadence and heart rate for example. My 810 is impressive when it works, but like many things magnificently tech' it has a habit of not working, on the odd occasion mine sends me around the bend instead of navigating me around one! So yes, as back up is a very good idea.

Milzy

Guru
Garmin are rubbish. Always bugs. Will let you down. Not very user friendly.
A Wahoo device blows everything else out of the water.

bpsmith

Veteran
Not used a Wahoo, but heard they’re very good.

I personally use a Garmin 520 and find that very good too. No bugs. Hasn’t let me down. Find it straight forward to use also.

Milzy

Guru
That's a very sweeping statement, based on what?
Ive used a Garmin Edge 510 for the past 4 years, easy to use and totally reliable. Not had any problems at all.
Well when you buy a bolt you’re in for a treat.

Milzy

Guru
It’s slicker, easier to see. More aerodynamic. Easier to use.
https://www.sportivecyclist.com/wahoo-elemnt-bolt-review/

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I love that saying, it’s about 500 years old. Just buy a bolt and tell all your mates down the pub.
I'll give it some thought if and when my Garmin finally expires.
I have a feeling though that the Bolt will be old hat by then, and people will be saying that Wahoo is crap and you should be buying whatever is the next generation 'do - it - all' gadget, from an unheard of as yet manufacturer.

bpsmith

Veteran
I love that saying, it’s about 500 years old. Just buy a bolt and tell all your mates down the pub.
I am all for sharing the knowledge of any great purchase.

I would prefer to hear about it in terms of what’s good about it, rather than what’s bad about competitors in comparison.

Basically, selling the new product rather than just rubbishing alternatives.

GuyBoden

Guru
  • An "outdoor" GPS. AA powered, so no power worries, useful for walking and other activities as well as cycling. But may have trouble handling the "turn-by-turn" requirement. Some will do this, some will not do this at all, but you can still "follow the trail" on screen. Others will do turn by turn but only if given a GPX route, rather than a track. May have lots of other features too, depending on model (eg proximity alarms that beep when you are nearing a control point, smartphone integration etc)
My own preference is for the second.

So, if you don't mind telling, which "outdoor" GPS do you personally recommend?

I may need one, I'm dreaming of cycling beyond Cheshire.:smile:

Top Bottom