Buying a new bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Runty

Im 6’2” 215lbs and in good shape for a 59 year old. I currently have a 14 year old Trek 7300 hybrid and Im looking to upgrade for under $1000. I ride 10-20 miles a few times a week on a bike path and a few miles around town on the sidewalks a couple times a week. I like to push pretty hard when I ride on the path. Im looking at a fitness type bike with carbon fork (for comfort) and disc brakes (why not?). I do not want front suspension or drop down handle bars. There are limited bike dealers in my area and none of them have the specific bikes I am considering but have step down models that they say would give me a feel for the bike I want and they could then order it for me.

Questions:

Does it make sense to test drive a bike that they claim is similar to the bike I want and base my decision from that? For instance test drive a Cannondale Quick 5 and purchase the upgrade to Quick 3.

Comfort is important and I am wondering if dropping down from my current tires to narrower 700x32c (or 700x30c in the case of the Cannondale) will be noticeable.

The four bikes I am considering are -

Jamis Allegro Elite

Trek FX3 disc

Connondale Quick 3 disc

Giant Escape 1 disc

Any input on these models is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rivers

How far can I go?
Test ride them all and buy the one that fits you best and is the most fun to ride

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If the difference between models is just components, I.e. Shimano 105 vs Shimano class chainsaw, then yes riding the lower model will give you same feel as to how the bike rides.

Narrower tyres will reduce comfort, you dont say what your current ones are. 35mm to 32mm won't be a big differece, 40mm to 30mm your ass won't thank you for.

si_c

Guru
Always been a fan of Treks, find they fit my really well.

Taken a look at them, overally the Cannondale edges out the rest in terms of equipment spec (for me), and is a touch lighter. Although the Trek has much better brakes.

Overall I'd probably go for the slightly more expensive FX4 rather than the FX3 based on the Spec - better gearing and slightly lighter.

OP
OP
R

Runty

Always been a fan of Treks, find they fit my really well.

Taken a look at them, overally the Cannondale edges out the rest in terms of equipment spec (for me), and is a touch lighter. Although the Trek has much better brakes.

Overall I'd probably go for the slightly more expensive FX4 rather than the FX3 based on the Spec - better gearing and slightly lighter.

I was able to narrow it down further to the Trek fx3 or the fx4 you recommend. The others were eliminated due to unavailability in the case of the Jamis or distance to dealer in the others. Do you have any idea if the fx4 has a more aggressive geometry than the fx3? I looked at the stats and it appeared to me that it does but I am admittedly a newb. I am willing to spend the extra $ for the fx4 but dont want a bike that puts too much pressure on my wrists. Unfortunatley I am unable to test drive either model in my size.

Top Bottom