Buying a small 2nd hand motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TreeHuggery

Always got on well with Nissan micras if that's any help

You can't have everything.

Although to be mildly serious, it could probably be insured on a limited mileage classic policy for about £150.
Classic policies generally need you to have use of another car as well, so the original quest for a car would still be needed. Cost me less than £100 to add an Alfa 916 Spider to a multi car policy with Aviva.

[QUOTE 4616863, member: 259"]Yes but the OP wasn't looking for a Le Mans candidate. My brother has a big Healey and he drives a Kia Picanto to Tesco.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't suggesting he went and bought a racing car, just pointing out that driving the i10 is a dismal experience. It may or may not be important to him, I don't know, just trying to be helpful.

D

Deleted member 1258

I wasn't suggesting he went and bought a racing car, just pointing out that driving the i10 is a dismal experience. It may or may not be important to him, I don't know, just trying to be helpful.

Yes but how many are interested in the driving experience? If I buy a cheap runabout for transport the only thing that I'm interested in is that its reliable and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to run. I'm looking for a replacement for my 2003 Getz at the moment and the i10 is one of the cars I'm looking at.

Yes but how many are interested in the driving experience? If I buy a cheap runabout for transport the only thing that I'm interested in is that its reliable and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to run. I'm looking for a replacement for my 2003 Getz at the moment and the i10 is one of the cars I'm looking at.

I don't know how many people are interested in the driving experience, how could I? If anyone is then they can use my input to help with their decision, if not then they are free to ignore my input. Do you see how that works?

I am sure the i10 will be a perfect choice for you.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There is no car that can't be enjoyed driving wise, no matter how slow or wallowy it is. The trick is to explore it's capabilities and safely exploit them to the maximum your ability will allow. Even my old Marina, God help me, could bring a smile to my face when I was on a good day. There are no bad cars, only bad drivers who can't bond with them.

After all, we enjoy riding bicycles and they are not exactly fast in the grand scheme of things.

There is no car that can't be enjoyed driving wise, no matter how slow or wallowy it is. The trick is to explore it's capabilities and safely exploit them to the maximum your ability will allow. Even my old Marina, God help me, could bring a smile to my face when I was on a good day. There are no bad cars, only bad drivers who can't bond with them.

After all, we enjoy riding bicycles and they are not exactly fast in the grand scheme of things.
I never mentioned speed. Just referred to the fact that I found the i10 to be thoroughly uninspiring, IMHO it would be a dull car to drive no matter how awesome you were, unless it was your first time driving, maybe. I think it would put a huge grin on my face if I was driving it in a demolition derby, is that what you meant?

@Smokin Joe speaks much sense.
My wife had a Perdoua Nippa for awhile. Cheap and tinny but with a 900cc revvy 3 pot Daihatsu engine (it was an old Charade under the skin). Fun could be had in a similar manner to a 'proper' mini. I had work colleagues who doubted it, but then I pointed out the real fun would be buying a starting grid of cars for what they had just paid out for the GTi, etc. they had in the car park.
But @Deafie is right, one of my present work colleagues has a company i10. It's....poor.

Re the previous generation i10: http://www.whatcar.com/hyundai/i10/hatchback/used-review/

They rate the current version even more highly I note.
I never said the car was rubbish or poorly made or substandard in any way, merely boring and uninspiring. I only drive for a few days each year and this summer I rented 2 cars, the first was a fiesta eco boost which was frickin grin inducing brilliance and the other was an i10 which was as dismal as the funeral i hired it to attend

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I never said the car was rubbish or poorly made or substandard in any way, merely boring and uninspiring. I only drive for a few days each year and this summer I rented 2 cars, the first was a fiesta eco boost which was frickin grin inducing brilliance and the other was an i10 which was as dismal as the funeral i hired it to attend
I didn't say you did. I posted an objective professional review of the previous generation i10 courtesy of What Car without any further comment.

Top Bottom