Buying a small 2nd hand motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
In the price bracket the OP is looking it obviously won't be a later model, and I would only buy an older Corsa after it has rained in the previous few days. Then I'd vigorously pump every bit of carpet with my hands and see if I can find any damp.

Mrs SJ has one and they are buggers for leaking through the baulkhead and a nightmare to cure. As you'd see if you looked on any Vauxhall forum.
Why won't it be a later model at 5K? I bought a brand new one at 7K, I've had it almost 2 years without having to check the carpets once.

screenman

Legendary Member
Suspect we're at cross purposes? I was referencing the economy-tuned 3 pot fitted to the A2 and Polo eco models :smile:

The one described here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/4749588/A-little-fuel-for-thought.html

The very best A2 the OP could find would be an interesting and pretty much depreciation-proof choice for his daughter, perhaps?

Have you owned and driven one? I have worked on quite a few A2's a while back, I was not impressed.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Get a Nissan Micra, there's no timing belt to break or replace.
(Renault owns a big chunk of Nissan and effectively controls it)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Have you owned and driven one? I have worked on quite a few A2's a while back, I was not impressed.
No, not owned, but driven a few, yes. Not my choice (the way the car rocks with the wiper blade is disconcerting, for instance!), but it does have a following that means it's an interesting leftfield choice - and a very sensible one if (lack of) depreciation is taken into account.

Assuming that answer from OP is no, and I guess it will be, then I still think that the Far Eastern manufacturers would be the best choice for OP's daughter.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Its smaller than my passat.

Corrola's a small car innit?
Corolla gets my vote, and since I've owned one for the last 7 years I will tell you why:

Pro's.... Reliable, well built, smooth engine (1.6 petrol), easy to maintain if you DIY, reasonable economy (40 mpg and I'm no saint), comfortable, no stupid unnecessary gimics to go wrong, did I mention reliable? (at 10 years old and 97k miles, mine is still on the original everything - apart from 1 headlight bulb, 1 reg plate bulb, and 2 front wishbones at MOT time this year). I change the oil, coolant, plugs, and filters at approx. half the recommended intervals to keep her sweet as it's so easy to do. No timing belt either; it's a cam chain and I haven't heard of any issues with it. There is not a spot of rust on the bodywork on mine. Low insurance group.

Cons...... VED is quite high at £215 per year for the 1600 petrol. They are getting on a bit now, as newest ones are 2006. Some of the older petrol engines had oil burning problems at high mileages, I think it was pre 2004 1.6 engines. Mine hasn't burnt a drop between oil changes.
I've seen a few good 'uns on Autotrader with reasonably low mileages, and they go for somewhere round the £3k mark. Less cared for ones are much less.

Compare that to VW's :cursing:, of which I owned about 6, prior to the Corolla. EVERY Golf I owned (2 x mk2 GTi, a mk4 petrol, and a mk4 diesel) had a problem with water getting into the passenger compartment, as did the one Bora diesel I had. In each case it was rain coming in by getting down the window and then seeping in past the leaking membrane inside the door which is supposed to keep water out. It was an easy fix on the mk2 (once you had figured out the problem!) but a nightmare on newer ones with electric windows.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Corolla gets my vote, and since I've owned one for the last 7 years I will tell you why:

Pro's.... Reliable, well built, smooth engine (1.6 petrol), easy to maintain if you DIY, reasonable economy (40 mpg and I'm no saint), comfortable, no stupid unnecessary gimics to go wrong, did I mention reliable? (at 10 years old and 97k miles, mine is still on the original everything - apart from 1 headlight bulb, 1 reg plate bulb, and 2 front wishbones at MOT time this year). I change the oil, coolant, plugs, and filters at approx. half the recommended intervals to keep her sweet as it's so easy to do. No timing belt either; it's a cam chain and I haven't heard of any issues with it. There is not a spot of rust on the bodywork on mine. Low insurance group.

Cons...... VED is quite high at £215 per year for the 1600 petrol. They are getting on a bit now, as newest ones are 2006. Some of the older petrol engines had oil burning problems at high mileages, I think it was pre 2004 1.6 engines. Mine hasn't burnt a drop between oil changes.
I've seen a few good 'uns on Autotrader with reasonably low mileages, and they go for somewhere round the £3k mark. Less cared for ones are much less.

Compare that to VW's :cursing:, of which I owned about 6, prior to the Corolla. EVERY Golf I owned (2 x mk2 GTi, a mk4 petrol, and a mk4 diesel) had a problem with water getting into the passenger compartment, as did the one Bora diesel I had. In each case it was rain coming in by getting down the window and then seeping in past the leaking membrane inside the door which is supposed to keep water out. It was an easy fix on the mk2 (once you had figured out the problem!) but a nightmare on newer ones with electric windows.
The corrolla brand name was moved from what we know to a sedan for the russian market afaik, the auris is the direct replacement in that market segment.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The corrolla brand name was moved from what we know to a sedan for the russian market afaik, the auris is the direct replacement in that market segment.
The Corolla name remains in North America too - but as you say it's a sedan and about twice the size of the one I have. The Auris doesn't get nearly as good reviews as the Corolla did. Early build quality issues that it hasn't ever fully recovered from.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
[QUOTE 4616247, member: 45"]The Toyota badge gives it a better resale value.[/QUOTE]True.
which could be a minus if your looking to buy it .
And also true, but that will benefit the buyer when they sell.

Top Bottom