Buying a small 2nd hand motor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not French or German, but the Fiesta can be had for not a huge amount of money..

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not everyone's first choice, but you get a lot of Corsa for 5K or under. I'm just saying.
In the price bracket the OP is looking it obviously won't be a later model, and I would only buy an older Corsa after it has rained in the previous few days. Then I'd vigorously pump every bit of carpet with my hands and see if I can find any damp.

Mrs SJ has one and they are buggers for leaking through the baulkhead and a nightmare to cure. As you'd see if you looked on any Vauxhall forum.

screenman

Legendary Member
Mazda 2 or 3, Suzuki Swift. I feel though it is a shame you dislike many of the smarter buys in that price bracket, but you must have your reasons.

screenman

Legendary Member
In the price bracket the OP is looking it obviously won't be a later model, and I would only buy an older Corsa after it has rained in the previous few days. Then I'd vigorously pump every bit of carpet with my hands and see if I can find any damp.

Mrs SJ has one and they are buggers for leaking through the baulkhead and a nightmare to cure. As you'd see if you looked on any Vauxhall forum.

Not many people check the little rubber valve thing at the bottom of the bulkhead.:okay: made a good few Bob sorting the problem for a major fleet company around here, you are the first I have told my secret.

MarkF

Guru
I recently paid £4750 for an as new 2014 Fiat 500 1.2, still under warranty, I cannot fault it, it's great fun to drive and it has loads of "charm", very few cars today have any "charm" at all.

Swifts have zero charm but 4 have been in our family, my 18 year old son has a cast off one now, nothing has ever gone wrong with them or ceased to function.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
107/C1/Aygo. Low tax, low insurance, above average reliability (although the Aygo can suffer cabin water ingress), and decent to drive.

^^^ This - you get a cracking city car for the money that's capable enough on the occasional M-way trip - my preference would be the C1, but that's just me.
Or if you fancy something a bit bigger, that money will get you into a decent Citroen C3 which are silly money for what you get.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mazda 2 or 3, Suzuki Swift. I feel though it is a shame you dislike many of the smarter buys in that price bracket, but you must have your reasons.
I'm thinking his daughter does, street cred and cool being on the list probably :smile:

Top Bottom