buying mp3s off the internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

does anybody do this...any recommendations for sites?

want:
* pay per track rather than per album with trcks i may not want
* big range to choose from, ideally hosting any track that exists
* advert free site

i've heard of itunes but don't you have to have an ipod for that? or not?

Milo

Guru
I use napster then convert it for tracks I cant otherwise find. But thats not strictly legal.
Dont think you need an ipod for itunes.

Jaded

You don't need an iPod for iTunes.

iTunes is the market leader - however it has its detractors.

Odyssey

I bought a couple from Play.com once. They do single tracks.

I was a bit dissapointed with the selection, but I was looking for something quite rare by anyone's standards.

TVC

I always use iTunes, but if you want several tracks off an album it can work out cheaper to by a CD version from Amazon.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

miloat said:
I use napster then convert it for tracks I cant otherwise find. But thats not strictly legal.
Dont think you need an ipod for itunes.

what do you mean by "convet it for tracks i can't otherwise find" ?
i had a look at napster, am I right in assuming it's a per-month rather than per-track fee? so if you download 100 tracks a month it works out at 10p each etc.?

Abitrary

C'mon, seriously. You must have heard something on the radio or seen it on TV. Something must have brought on this downloading frenzy.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

looking at it it seems itunes are 79p per track, and play.com is around that ball park, whereas mp3fiesta.com is $0.20 per track. Probably some dollar exchange fee but not that much.
But napster are offering 7 days free trial so i'm going to try that and if I can think of a track that i want that it can't find then i'll cancel...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Abitrary said:
C'mon, seriously. You must have heard something on the radio or seen it on TV. Something must have brought on this downloading frenzy.

can't think of any at the moment but want to be able to just download it when i do think of something before i forget it which i usually do by the time I've gone through the whole rigmarole of trying to get a bittorrent program working and all that port forwarding stuff and checking the status of the stuff i tried to start downloading months ago. So i thought well i'm not exactly saving myself that much by being a skinflint and trying to download it free, besides it's getting less and less possible.

Abitrary

I'm afraid that bittorrent or limewire maybe your only recourse if it's really messed up far-out stuff you are after.

Evilcat

Just to make a point about mp3fiesta as bonj mentioned it, using this Ukrainian site (and there are quite a few similar ones) is seen by copyright authorities as equivalent to piracy.

Such sites are legal under Russian/Ukrainian law, but they (claim to) pay a tiny royalty percentage to a local organisation that the copyright holders will not deal with. So, the net effect is one of obtaining an MP3 where the copyright holder has not been paid royalties, no different from grabbing the MP3s via BitTorrent. There have also been claims that these sites have been linked with organised crime, which may or may not be true.

In essence, if you are happy using MP3Fiesta (or similar) then you might as well save yourself a few quid and download using a P2P service!

EC

Top Bottom