buying mp3s off the internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

What law are you subject to, bonj?

Evilcat

bonj said:
no, because buying a pirate dvd off a dodgy geezer in a pub is (a) illegal, and (;) carries a reasonable chance of not being what it claims to be, i.e. low quality or even nothing on it.

And I don't think you've got any evidence that money to this site doesn't go to royalties, or even that it's ukranian - you're just reciting rumours you're heard off somebody.

It is a fact that the money on the site does not go to the copyright holders: the western organisations that represent them (for example RIAA and IFPI) do not recognise the legitimacy of the process. It's also debatable whether royalties were ever offered: in the case of AllOfMP3 (the predecessor of MP3Fiesta and the like) no royalites were ever offered or received by RIAA as witnessed by their legal case.

if you look at the MP3Fiesta About Us page you will see it is a company registered in the Kiev. Which is in the Ukraine.

Would you care to apologise for suggesting I am "just reciting rumours"?

EC

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Jaded said:
What law are you subject to, bonj?

English law.
What part of my usage of the site is against english law, that's what i'm asking.
It's slightly invalid to say "the site is illegal" generically, without qualifying specifically what you mean.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Evilcat said:
It is a fact that the money on the site does not go to the copyright holders: the western organisations that represent them (for example RIAA and IFPI) do not recognise the legitimacy of the process. It's also debatable whether royalties were ever offered: in the case of AllOfMP3 (the predecessor of MP3Fiesta and the like) no royalites were ever offered or received by RIAA as witnessed by their legal case.
So, what you're saying is, that the only way it's "illegal" is that it goes against the rules of some company - it's not actually against the laws of the land?

Evilcat said:
if you look at the MP3Fiesta About Us page you will see it is a company registered in the Kiev. Which is in the Ukraine.

Would you care to apologise for suggesting I am "just reciting rumours"?

EC

great. doesn't mean it was written in ukraine though does it.

The 'just reciting rumours' was regarding your attempt to link it to organised crime, or have you got any evidence for that?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

miloat said:

great. i've not signed up for that though, in fact it's closed down.

Jaded

You sit there on a computer costing hundreds of pounds, with an internet connection costing tens of pounds, in a house costing thousands of pounds, next to a bike costing hundreds of pounds, and a car outside costing a fair bit and you type that you are unwilling to pay about 50p more for an mp3.

The hypocrisy is breathtaking.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Jaded said:
You sit there on a computer costing hundreds of pounds, with an internet connection costing tens of pounds, in a house costing thousands of pounds, next to a bike costing hundreds of pounds, and a car outside costing a fair bit and you type that you are unwilling to pay about 50p more for an mp3.

given up on the argument that I'm doing something illegal then?

and the point is, I'm always slightly unwilling to pay anything for anything when I can get it for less.
If it wasn't possible to get them for $0.20 each then I'd probably be willing to pay £0.79 for them. It's not a case of analysing them in absolute terms, it's all relative.

col

Legendary Member
Jaded said:

#

So you never try to buy cheaper or save anywhere then?

Top Bottom