Buying my first proper bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Are you looking to have a bike at uni? If so I would just go with a basic model or secondhand and get a D lock. Bike thieves will target new students with poor locks. And there are plenty of those!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Agree with both of the above. S/H for your budget is the best way to go. You need to know what you're buying though otherwise you could get stuck with a lemon. Many people buying bikes hoping to get fit but never really take it up and chuck it in the garage, this is the sort of thing to aim for, hardly used.

You might be better off buying from the shop in Exeter, at least you'll get something that fits you and it should be in good fettle having been checked by the shop.

When sizing you should be able to sit on the saddle with your leg straight or thereabouts with the pedal in the six o'clock position. You shouldn't be able to put your feet flat on the floor when seated.

Regards 'mixed up'. Tyres aren't going to make a huge amount of difference unless you're going on real rough muddy ground, they can always be changed. MTBs always have thicker knobbly tyres but even smooth tyres can cope with dirt paths if wide enough. Many now choose a hybrid type as it will be faster(less effort) on the road but will still cope with most off road conditions.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Your budget of about £200 is limiting if you want new.

Bike in most local bike shops start at more than that.

Halford has bikes in your budget.

Carrera Subways are well thought of, so this one might suit.

It has fairly wide tyres, but they have a shallow tread so should roll reasonably well if you use them at the higher end of the pressure range.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-1-womens-hybrid-bike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Womens-Tr...568443?hash=item2a7819933b:g:n9QAAOSwnHZYTrRV
Women's Trek 7.3fx Hybrid Cycle - £240 or best offer
s-l1600.jpg

add mudguards, a pannier bag and lights, and you have an excellent bike
That looks spot on from what I've read @dim .
Nice find that.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy my first proper bike after practicing on one I loaned from a friend and liking it. I've never bought a bike before, am a self-taught newbie, and I think my friends bike is a 21 speed mountain? bike but I'm not sure (I have pictures of said bike from when I was asking for beginner advice on another thread).
It's quite sturdy, slightly heavy, and the saddle is low enough from the handles for me to feel comfortable.

Also, should I buy from Halfords or a local bike shop? I've heard that buying from a local would be better, but is this the case for someone as ill-informed on bicycles as me?

Will appreciate any tips or advice :smile:

View attachment 155868 View attachment 155869 View attachment 155865 View attachment 155866 View attachment 155867
Would your budget stretch to this?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-qx-70-...|pcrid|67090792502|pkw||pmt||prd|5360722149uk

Felt are a good brand

vickster

Legendary Member
For the Trek, Collection in person from Oldham might be a challenge for someone in Essex/Exeter :smile: I had one of those a number of years ago, nice bike but more road than rough oriented, ok for parks and towpaths, less so on gravel without changing the tyres

Also, if the OP is shorter than about 5'4, the 15" will potentially be too big. I had the 17" and I'm 5'10 nearly

For the Trek, Collection in person from Oldham might be a challenge for someone in Essex/Exeter :smile: I had one of those a number of years ago, nice bike but more road than rough oriented, ok for parks and towpaths, less so on gravel without changing the tyres

Also, if the OP is shorter than about 5'4, the 15" will potentially be too big. I had the 17" and I'm 5'10 nearly

The 15 would be fine I feel.
I hear you on the geography,but I'm wondering if the seller could box it up and the OP arranges a courier.
It cost me 15 quid .
Whaddayathink?

vickster

Legendary Member
The 15 would be fine I feel.
I hear you on the geography,but I'm wondering if the seller could box it up and the OP arranges a courier.
It cost me 15 quid .
Whaddayathink?
It says collection only. If the OP is 5'2 or less, it'll be too big. Getting it delivered removes the possibility of a testride

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Carrera Subways are well thought of, so this one might suit.

It has fairly wide tyres, but they have a shallow tread so should roll reasonably well if you use them at the higher end of the pressure range.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-1-womens-hybrid-bike

Mrs ND has a Carrera Subway and loves it. Her riding is typically what you've described - mainly off road trails / bridleways with a bit of on road in between.
To be fair I can see why she rates it as it's a cracking bike for the money.

And don't be put off by tales of woe about Halfords - we've had no problems with them and they supply and service all our bikes.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
@summerdays I'll be in Exeter when I buy my bike / as I'm a student my budget is unlikely to exceed £200-ish but let me know if this is unreasonable to expect.

@biggs682 unfortunately I'm too far away from wellingborough to even consider the trek - but I appreciate your advice and will check out as many local shops as there are quite a few. I'm looking to ride mostly on trails and alongside the river Exe - Exeter is also quite hilly. Will be avoiding roads as I don't feel ready for it yet.

@cyberknight but I kind of like the extra weight of the bike because I thought it helped me learn how to balance more / thanks for the heads up on the discount!

@vickster I am a short female so I'll be sticking to the women's sized bikes. I'll check to see if I have Evans near me but I don't think so. Will consider second-hand though, thanks for that!

@greekonabike mountain bike tyres look sturdier though, and in my mind that means less wear and tear? Correct me as I'm probably wrong

Buying from Halfords sounds tricky then as I don't know enough about bikes myself to judge whether the person assembling it knows what they're doing.

Judging from everyones advice, local bike shops seem the way to go, and there's no shame in second-hand.

They look sturdier (mountain bike tyres) but they're not really designed for using on the road. So a 'knobbly' looking mountain bike tire is more likely to slow you down than anything else.... However my dad has a mountain bike (with front suspension) and it initially came with tyres more suited to muddy tracks. He changed to some tyres that were more suited to road riding and occasionally he can catch up with me when we're riding on the road.

I think the problem is that people who didn't really know anything about bikes started buying bikes from big stores like Halfords and Argos and a large number of them ended up with mountain bikes which whilst perfect for what they are designed for, aren't brilliant on the road.

However, change the tyres, lock the front suspension (or make it stiffer) and you've still got a formidable bike for the road and the freedom to take it off-road if you wish.

It's a shame, I've got an Apollo mountain bike (the ones I said not to get earlier) and I'd be pretty much willing to give it to you at no cost. I'm not sure if it would need anything to be rideable (apart from one tyre) but I can always have a look.

GOAB

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Maintenance wise the shops round here charge £39.99 for a service and £15 for a 'gear service'. I know halfords have a list of charges on the website should you choose to have them maintain it.

They will perform a free '6 week check' after you purchased the bike. This will normally involve making sure all the bolts are tight. Checking tyre pressure and maybe tightening cables if needed.

GOAB

Top Bottom