Buying my first proper bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
xahend

xahend

Regular
Are you looking to have a bike at uni? If so I would just go with a basic model or secondhand and get a D lock. Bike thieves will target new students with poor locks. And there are plenty of those!

Yes I am, but I'd mostly be riding at night or after lessons anyways - appreciate the advice on the locks.

Agree with both of the above.

When sizing you should be able to sit on the saddle with your leg straight or thereabouts with the pedal in the six o'clock position. You shouldn't be able to put your feet flat on the floor when seated.

Regards 'mixed up'. Tyres aren't going to make a huge amount of difference unless you're going on real rough muddy ground, they can always be changed. MTBs always have thicker knobbly tyres but even smooth tyres can cope with dirt paths if wide enough. Many now choose a hybrid type as it will be faster(less effort) on the road but will still cope with most off road conditions.

Thanks for this, will try that when I'm looking around. I am leaning towards the hybrid tyres then, as the terrain in Exeter is so unpredictable

@Pale Rider @NorthernDave the Carrera subway seems like a good shout - and the Halfords in Exeter is a small one and a uni friend has recommended their repair service so I might give that a look.

@Grant Fondo don't think I could afford the felt unless I sold one of my textbooks haha // also do bikes from Halfords not come pre-assembled????!

@vickster @MarquisMatsugae @Reynard I'm just shy of 5'4, but I feel like I would be better suited with a women's bike rather than a junior one?

@greekonabike I think I'll listen to everybody recommending the road bike - the weight of the mountain bike is slowly becoming more of a hassle

@User46386 Is there any way I can learn maintenance myself? Or am I just better off getting it done in the shop?

Thanks for all the advice btw everyone!

Yes @ xahend, Halfords will 'assemble' but the term can be used loosely sometimes with them, not always mind you.
Road bike would be my advice as well, i had one all the way through Uni ( 6 years too!) Absolutely loved riding around Oxford and over to the Cotswolds etc...great memories!
You will love it.

OP
OP
xahend

xahend

Regular
Yes @ xahend, Halfords will 'assemble' but the term can be used loosely sometimes with them, not always mind you.
Road bike would be my advice as well, i had one all the way through Uni ( 6 years too!) Absolutely loved riding around Oxford and over to the Cotswolds etc...great memories!
You will love it.

Didn't know I'd love riding in the rain the most though - there was no one about (rightfully enough) so I could practise and humiliate myself without anyone being the wiser ^_^

@xahend - if you're a tad under 5' 4", then it could swing either way for you. Just go for the bike that fits you best at the end of the day - large junior or small ladies, it shouldn't matter. There's nothing worse than a bike that's too big - have been there and it ain't a nice place to be.

Another vote for road bike instead of MTB. :okay: Since I got my roadie two months ago (a Wiggins from Halford - the Huntington branch is pretty good) I've ridden the MTB a grand total of... twice. Riding a bike that's less than half the weight is just so very liberating. Especially when commuting. When you've got a backpack with lock plus all the gubbins that you need for the day, pedalling a heavy bike is a real chore, even more so at night, when you're tired, and it's hilly and there's a gale blowing...

If you could perhaps swing for the extra £50, you might want to have a look at this: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-black-id_8331913.html - I ride the equivalent of the XXS frame, you'll probably want the XS. There are a couple of Decathlons in Essex iirc (Harlow & Lakeside), so it might be worth just to go have a gander anyway.

For me, it was a straight choice between the Triban and the Wiggins - I went for the latter after trying both as my budget allowed it.

OP
OP
xahend

xahend

Regular
@Reynard will consider junior bike sizes as well then when I have a look around, thanks for that - the handlebars on that Triban are very intimidating haha

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks for this, will try that when I'm looking around. I am leaning towards the hybrid tyres then, as the terrain in Exeter is so unpredictable

@Pale Rider @NorthernDave the Carrera subway seems like a good shout - and the Halfords in Exeter is a small one and a uni friend has recommended their repair service so I might give that a look.

@Grant Fondo don't think I could afford the felt unless I sold one of my textbooks haha // also do bikes from Halfords not come pre-assembled????!
I was actually thinking of hybrid bikes but you could apply that comment to tyres. The Subway is one such bike.

Bikes from Halfords do of course come assembled, what he meant was that Halfords can be a bit variable with the skill of their mechanics! Bit of a standing joke on here. Don't worry I'm sure you'll be fine.

Don't discount drop bar bikes as they offer more hand positions which can be useful but choose whatever you'll feel more comfortable with.

OP
OP
xahend

xahend

Regular
Went to the local bike shop in Exeter today and he recommended the probike horizon ladies as an entry hybrid - is this a sound recommendation? Or should I just get a Carrera subway from Halfords

vickster

Legendary Member
Went to the local bike shop in Exeter today and he recommended the probike horizon ladies as an entry hybrid - is this a sound recommendation? Or should I just get a Carrera subway from Halfords
Never heard of probike. Did the guy at the shop let you take it out on the roads for a proper ride to see if it's the right bike for you. If so and if it is, go for it

However, I'd go for a Carrera, they are tried and tested, just make sure you get the right size

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Rigid fork and V-brakes - better than cheap discs.

Looks like it has Revo twist shifters.

Nothing wrong with them, but they don't suit everyone so I suggest you give them a try before deciding.

The local bike shop may be better for servicing than Halfords where service capability is known to be variable.

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/b...dium=organic&gclid=CLXkzbzZ09ECFVAo0wodLGsD7A

OP
OP
xahend

xahend

Regular
@vickster thanks for the quick reply, he said that he'd have to order it in from crediton first when I asked if I could TEST ride. So I said I wanted to research the bike a bit first as I'd never heard of the bike before either and was hoping one of you guys had.

@Pale Rider should I get a Carrera then but Service it from the lbs? Or risk getting the probike?

vickster

Legendary Member
You can always use the LBS for servicing if not comfortable with the local Halfords, mine is fine for example

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@vickster thanks for the quick reply, he said that he'd have to order it in from crediton first when I asked if I could TEST ride. So I said I wanted to research the bike a bit first as I'd never heard of the bike before either and was hoping one of you guys had.

@Pale Rider should I get a Carrera then but Service it from the lbs? Or risk getting the probike?

You should get the bike you like the most.

Quality wise, there won't be a lot in it so the Probike is no more or less of a reliability risk than the Carrera.

Top Bottom