Buying my first proper bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I read it as the 2013 model, ("bought 3 years ago"), where does it say 2008/2007? I may have missed something.
I bought one in 2008/2009 :smile: I know because I had a bad tumble off it in Sept 2009 and farked my knee

Pretty sure it's the exact same model. The seller may not have bought new? Or it had been knocking around a while at the lbs

Ok it's a 2008

http://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2008/trek/73fxwsd#/us/en/2008/trek/73fxwsd/details

The 2009 was also gold, but the finishing kit was silver and the motif/design a little different to that of the the eBay bike

http://archive.trekbikes.com/gb/en/2009/trek/73fxwsd#/uk/en/2009/trek/73fxwsd/details

The 2010 was white, 2011 was light blue, 2012 grey, 2013 black according to the trek archive

Last edited:

dim

don't rush .... there are loads of bargains .... if you want something a bit more 'sporty':
trek road bike ... £200 buy it now
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/trek-road-bike-/262777801987?hash=item3d2ec70d03:g:F~cAAOSw2xRYTUCk

s-l1600.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Maintenance wise the shops round here charge £39.99 for a service and £15 for a 'gear service'. I know halfords have a list of charges on the website should you choose to have them maintain it.

They will perform a free '6 week check' after you purchased the bike. This will normally involve making sure all the bolts are tight. Checking tyre pressure and maybe tightening cables if needed.

GOAB
Join British cycling, you'll get 10% off the bike, all purchases and also all servicing/maintenance

@vickster I am a short female so I'll be sticking to the women's sized bikes. I'll check to see if I have Evans near me but I don't think so. Will consider second-hand though, thanks for that!

How tall are you @xahend ? I also fall into the "short female" category - am 4' 11". You might find that looking at junior bikes is a good option. If you're at the shorter end of the scale heightwise, even a ladies' frame may be too big - found that over the autumn when looking for a road bike. If this is the case, there may well be some really good deals on secondhand junior bikes right now if kids have gotten new ones for Xmas.

How tall are you @xahend ? I also fall into the "short female" category - am 4' 11". You might find that looking at junior bikes is a good option. If you're at the shorter end of the scale heightwise, even a ladies' frame may be too big - found that over the autumn when looking for a road bike. If this is the case, there may well be some really good deals on secondhand junior bikes right now if kids have gotten new ones for Xmas.
Hello down there....i'm 6ft 4 lol

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I bought one in 2008/2009.....

Ah I see, good detective skills.
Mine's a 2011, though it's pretty hard to tell on the men's versions since they're nearly always black or grey!

Top Bottom