Buying Shares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The views of the manager of Murray international investment Trust. Renowned for his negative views on.....everything!!

An update from our investment manager, Bruce Stout - 8 June 2020

"With Government enforced lockdowns throughout the world beginning to ease, the focus of attention has recently changed towards considering the prospects for economic recovery. The consensus view, perhaps formed by the experience post Global Financial Crisis of 2008-2009, believes the deeper the recession the steeper the recovery. Such simplicity may prove over optimistic under current circumstances. Objective economic analysis suggests it's the cause of recession that dictates the pace of recovery: restoring normality after severe property collapses, boom/bust phases of over-investment or credit related solvency crises can often take years. Having voluntarily shut down a substantial portion of economic society, there is no previous road map as to what happens next. The range of possible economic, and indeed clinical, outcomes remain many and varied, hence great caution continues to be warranted.

Whilst the world waits eagerly and watches for signs of economic recovery, scant attention seems to be directed towards how the spiralling economic costs of current Covid-constrained conditions will ultimately be addressed. For the already chronically indebted Developed world the additional burden represents yet another significant headwind to negotiate. Yet for the fiscally prudent and savings rich Nations within Asia and Emerging Markets the trajectory of recovery in growth, profitability and prosperity is unlikely to be unduly compromised by the legacy of this unprecedented pandemic - it is towards such investment opportunities that the Trust continues to emphasise."

He's a right miserable get! Very conservative views on the world economies.
In the dividend bias investment Trust sector his investment trust is one of the few (if any) that shows a positive return (share price) over 5 years.....just!

Well I bought Lloyd’s shares. They were priced low before the Covid crash then they almost halved. Dividend yield is good, way better than current interest rates so I thought it would be a good time to buy. I’m expecting a big boost after the Covid recession but I don’t plan to sell, I fancy them long term.
Shares values have always recovered well after any crash.
I through 3k at Lloyds today, best part of 9k shares, couldn't leave them there at the price, they can keep all the rest of theirs I have company until times get better.

Chairman has said "He will honour missed dividends", yeah right!
Damn can't remember where I got this from. A pundit obviously but of interest to those who bought Lloyds:-
"The first is Lloyds (LSE: LLOY). The share price has fallen nearly 50% over the last six months alone. The shares are now lower than they were five years ago. But the mandated, or strongly encouraged, suspension of bank dividends during the crisis could help Lloyds further strengthen its balance sheet. It already has a tight control on costs and has further scope for digitisation.

The dividend suspension could also help it to partially offset the expected uptick in bad loans that will result from customers losing jobs and generally being less financially secure.

Overall, I think the shares, on a P/E of nine, look too cheap to ignore right now. Yes, interest rates are very low and it’s a difficult time for banks. But I expect Lloyds, with its low costs and relatively simple business model, to come back stronger post-Covid-19."

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Damn can't remember where I got this from. A pundit obviously but of interest to those who bought Lloyds:-
"The first is Lloyds (LSE: LLOY). The share price has fallen nearly 50% over the last six months alone. The shares are now lower than they were five years ago. But the mandated, or strongly encouraged, suspension of bank dividends during the crisis could help Lloyds further strengthen its balance sheet. It already has a tight control on costs and has further scope for digitisation.

The dividend suspension could also help it to partially offset the expected uptick in bad loans that will result from customers losing jobs and generally being less financially secure.

Overall, I think the shares, on a P/E of nine, look too cheap to ignore right now. Yes, interest rates are very low and it’s a difficult time for banks. But I expect Lloyds, with its low costs and relatively simple business model, to come back stronger post-Covid-19."

Sounds like a sales pitch disguised as punditry.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sounds like a sales pitch disguised as punditry.
Standard tactics...buy and then ramp the hell out of a share to get others to buy and push the price up. Sell. Or, alternatively, sell and then deramp like hell to get others to sell and then rebuy.
Of course this is impossible in a stock like Lloyds, but in the small/mid cap range where I occasionally buy, it happens all the time
Share investment forums are shark infested waters

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Me personally, Royal Mail
@Spiderweb Did you take my advice back in March?
86423080-21D6-4C23-9FD2-092FADE22CFF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
View attachment 549076
I wish I had!
My 10,000 Lloyd’s shares are down 10p each😲

View attachment 549076
No and yes
I think you said it was advise?
I owned shares in RM in March, my only shares in fact, and whilst they have Now doubled in value, I bought them a year before When they were the same price as they are now. So I’m back to where I started!

Still better than being at a loss, plus you have had the divi better than the best interest you would have had if you had put the money in savings account.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I think you said it was advise?
Surprised you asked if you think you already know the answer.

The comment provided by myself on 26 Mar was “Me personally, Royal Mail”. Entirely up to the reader whether they interpret it as advice or not.

I’ll have to check my Hargreaves Lansdown account and see what I got in the way of divs, I had forgotten about that side of it.

Surprised you asked if you think you already know the answer.

The comment provided by myself on 26 Mar was “Me personally, Royal Mail”. Entirely up to the reader whether they interpret it as advice or not.

I’ll have to check my Hargreaves Lansdown account and see what I got in the way of divs, I had forgotten about that side of it.
I was going by this post which clearly uses the word advice "@Spiderweb Did you take my advice back in March?" From the 25th of September.

Top Bottom