Buying used carbon alloy rim wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I want (not need) a set of deep section carbon clinchers preferably with an alloy braking surface. Planet X do some which fit the bill for £400.

Been scouring ebay, classified and used wheels of the PX model got for around £250.

Is buying used wheels a recipe for disaster ? - would the be serviceable if they were out of true of if the hubs were shot.

I want these purely for the bling effect and for occasional use - hence my question would a used pair be ok - ish

You cannot get a worse rim that a carbon/aluminium one. New ones are rubbish, used ones are used rubbish.

S-Express

If you only want them for the 'deep section' look, then go for a pair of Fulcrum Quattros. Although having said that, they're actually pretty good wheels and at 35mm depth are fairly easy to live with. No carbon on them either.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru

Yes thats what I really would like. But I can't justify that sort of cash !!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Not quite...
I think he explained his reasoning about 4 posts later in that thread.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I think anyone selling this type of wheel on will have looked after them and are probably only selling as they have upgraded . i cant see anyone spending big money on wheels and then not looking after them ........ :unsure:
I have both alloy brake and carbon brake rims and although the braking is better on the alloy i dont have a problem stopping with the carbon .

Drago

Legendary Member
You would like to think so, but I'm not so sure. How many folk spend as much as they can afford on a new car (or as much as they can't afford, and get it on finance) only to then not clean it regularly, let servicing slip, etc?

I think anyone selling this type of wheel on will have looked after them and are probably only selling as they have upgraded . i cant see anyone spending big money on wheels and then not looking after them ........ :unsure:
I have both alloy brake and carbon brake rims and although the braking is better on the alloy i dont have a problem stopping with the carbon .

Looking after them - other than not riding them and keeping them dry - will not solve the problem. Each time you brake, the alu heats up, the carbon doesn't. The difference in coefficient of expansion between those two materials is about 20 to 1. How do yo propose that looking after them will solve that problem?

If it doesn't have an alu brake track, each time you bake, you significantly abrade and initiate delamination on the brake track. How will looking after the wheels prevent that?

Each time water gets into one of the gaps opened by the first process listed here, galvanic action eats the aluminium. Add salt and it literally cooks it away. How do you propose looking after them will solve that problem?

They are rubbish when used with rim brakes. Totally inappropriate.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yellow Saddle said:
some companies attempt to add an aluminium brake track to carbon rims, which only partially solve the problem but brings about a far more serious problem. leave that aside for now.

I think we need to know as these are the wheels the OP is asking about. The ones i used have a carbon fairing, the only down side i have found is if it's really windy they can be a handful.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Looking after them - other than not riding them and keeping them dry - will not solve the problem. Each time you brake, the alu heats up, the carbon doesn't. The difference in coefficient of expansion between those two materials is about 20 to 1. How do yo propose that looking after them will solve that problem?

If it doesn't have an alu brake track, each time you bake, you significantly abrade and initiate delamination on the brake track. How will looking after the wheels prevent that?

Each time water gets into one of the gaps opened by the first process listed here, galvanic action eats the aluminium. Add salt and it literally cooks it away. How do you propose looking after them will solve that problem?

They are rubbish when used with rim brakes. Totally inappropriate.
I mean they wont have been bumping them up kerbs , the rest of the stuff is just the life span of a wheel .

Top Bottom