1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bye-bye bike parking?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by wafflycat, 15 Nov 2007.

1. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7095884.stm

Includes:--

"How do you terror-proof a major public building without turning it into a fortress? Benches and water walls are in, bike racks could be out and those pretty shrubs... they'll need to be well pruned." (my bold)

;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

2. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7095884.stm

Includes:--

"How do you terror-proof a major public building without turning it into a fortress? Benches and water walls are in, bike racks could be out and those pretty shrubs... they'll need to be well pruned." (my bold)

:blush::biggrin::tongue::sad:

3. jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery Über Member

I was just thinking about that very same article and headline. No where in the article does it say anything about bike racks, inf act would not a set of racks like the sort of 'n' shaped ones outside libraries create a usefull blockade if they are in deep enough foundations?

And how much semtex can you carry in your saddle bag anyway?

Not sure who it was but I recall a forum member being upbraided by the police about chaining his bike to railings because it was a terrorism risk type thing and the forum member asking the officer if he really did think that terrorists hid bombs in pushbikes lol

4. jiggerypokery

I was just thinking about that very same article and headline. No where in the article does it say anything about bike racks, inf act would not a set of racks like the sort of 'n' shaped ones outside libraries create a usefull blockade if they are in deep enough foundations?

And how much semtex can you carry in your saddle bag anyway?

Not sure who it was but I recall a forum member being upbraided by the police about chaining his bike to railings because it was a terrorism risk type thing and the forum member asking the officer if he really did think that terrorists hid bombs in pushbikes lol

5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Until a while back, nobody really thought terrorists would be able to Hijack 4 jet airliners in the land of the free and fly them into significant buildings...

A bicycle frame filled with explosives could make a mess of a lot of people. Bikes attached to railings, posts, bus stops, bike stands are pretty prevelant in cities, if it WAS to be done, life would get a bit difficult for cyclists.
    It's not impossible.

6. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Until a while back, nobody really thought terrorists would be able to Hijack 4 jet airliners in the land of the free and fly them into significant buildings...

A bicycle frame filled with explosives could make a mess of a lot of people. Bikes attached to railings, posts, bus stops, bike stands are pretty prevelant in cities, if it WAS to be done, life would get a bit difficult for cyclists.
    It's not impossible.

7. Cab

Cab New Member

People have been making car bombs for donkeys years. Difference with bike locks is that they tend to be right up close to buildings; if bike bombs are genuinely feared, that would have to change.

8. Cab

Cab New Member

People have been making car bombs for donkeys years. Difference with bike locks is that they tend to be right up close to buildings; if bike bombs are genuinely feared, that would have to change.

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

bike frames packed with explosives were routinely used in Vietnam

10. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

bike frames packed with explosives were routinely used in Vietnam

11. jiggerypokery

I stand corrected on the bike-bomb thang ;)

12. jiggerypokery

I stand corrected on the bike-bomb thang :blush:

13. Cab

Cab New Member

Ouch. Were they effective?

14. Cab

Cab New Member

Ouch. Were they effective?

15. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Well, you only ever stole one bike !!