Bye-bye bike parking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7095884.stm

Includes:--

"How do you terror-proof a major public building without turning it into a fortress? Benches and water walls are in, bike racks could be out and those pretty shrubs... they'll need to be well pruned." (my bold)

:blush::biggrin::tongue::sad:

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I was just thinking about that very same article and headline. No where in the article does it say anything about bike racks, inf act would not a set of racks like the sort of 'n' shaped ones outside libraries create a usefull blockade if they are in deep enough foundations?

And how much semtex can you carry in your saddle bag anyway?

Not sure who it was but I recall a forum member being upbraided by the police about chaining his bike to railings because it was a terrorism risk type thing and the forum member asking the officer if he really did think that terrorists hid bombs in pushbikes lol

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I was just thinking about that very same article and headline. No where in the article does it say anything about bike racks, inf act would not a set of racks like the sort of 'n' shaped ones outside libraries create a usefull blockade if they are in deep enough foundations?

Not sure who it was but I recall a forum member being upbraided by the police about chaining his bike to railings because it was a terrorism risk type thing and the forum member asking the officer if he really did think that terrorists hid bombs in pushbikes lol

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jiggerypokery said:

Until a while back, nobody really thought terrorists would be able to Hijack 4 jet airliners in the land of the free and fly them into significant buildings...

A bicycle frame filled with explosives could make a mess of a lot of people. Bikes attached to railings, posts, bus stops, bike stands are pretty prevelant in cities, if it WAS to be done, life would get a bit difficult for cyclists.
It's not impossible.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jiggerypokery said:

Until a while back, nobody really thought terrorists would be able to Hijack 4 jet airliners in the land of the free and fly them into significant buildings...

A bicycle frame filled with explosives could make a mess of a lot of people. Bikes attached to railings, posts, bus stops, bike stands are pretty prevelant in cities, if it WAS to be done, life would get a bit difficult for cyclists.
It's not impossible.

Cab

People have been making car bombs for donkeys years. Difference with bike locks is that they tend to be right up close to buildings; if bike bombs are genuinely feared, that would have to change.

Cab

People have been making car bombs for donkeys years. Difference with bike locks is that they tend to be right up close to buildings; if bike bombs are genuinely feared, that would have to change.

Tynan

Veteran
bike frames packed with explosives were routinely used in Vietnam

Top Bottom