Bye bye Strava.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
I have just deleted my Strava account - my two hard-won KOMs and all leaderboard places gone in an instant.

It's incredibly liberating.

Now, I can get back on with enjoying my cycling; I've decided that when I want to go racing, I'll man up, pin a number to my back and do it properly. In fact, I'm going to join a local club to do just that.

In the meantime, I'm just enjoying being back out in the lanes - without having to wonder if every new one I find is a segment.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I can understand that point of view totally. Strava racing can get a bit silly (as the other thread shows). I tend to concentrate on besting MY own times now rather than go after KOMs, it's far more satisfying to take 30sec out of yourself on a climb, no matter where you come on the leader board (but it's also nice to stick it to other riders you happen to know :laugh:).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why couldn't you just go for a ride without going for a strava section ? I don't get it (yes I use strava). There are times where I think, yes I'll go for this one, but 99% of the time I don't bother.

defy-one

I find i'm not using my Garmin 200 for the same reason on my commutes,too many variables to give me any accurate data. I already know i'm lighter (20lbs),faster and fitter.
Now i just enjoy the commutes

BSRU

A Human Being
Maybe your expecting too much from Strava, myself being just a commuter I realise that I have no real chance against a serious/decent club rider.
I only upload my rides to Strava if I think I have put a decent effort in on a segment to see if I have bettered myself, I usually just upload to Garmin/RideWithGPS.
The main use I have for Strava is showing up new roads/climbs to try out.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Why couldn't you just go for a ride without going for a strava section ? I don't get it (yes I use strava). There are times where I think, yes I'll go for this one, but 99% of the time I don't bother.
Most of the segments I don't go for but as I get fitter my times naturally come down, a great example was knocking 30 seconds off my pb from Broadway to Oldham last night, sure when I'm in the mood I chase a kom or 2,but most of the time I use strava to see how I performing vs myself

tadpole

I load all my rides, it helps me keep applying the effort even at 0545hr when it is raining and blowing a gale in my face. I race the clock and me.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I tried Strava, but (while I understand the appeal to others) I was not fond of the excess numbers of "segments". There were just too many in my area, the map was saturated and more and more kept coming up. Combined with the limited data analysis features, I decided to stick to what I know!

Also, I hate the naming they give to the number 1 spot, KOM! Maybe this had meaning in the past when strava mainly consisted of segments on hills? But on the pancake flat... surely they can include some altitude data and implement a filter to identify either a hilly segment (KOM), a flat segment (something else) and a descending segment!

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I tried Strava, but (while I understand the appeal to others) I was not fond of the excess numbers of "segments". There were just too many in my area, the map was saturated and more and more kept coming up. Combined with the limited data analysis features, I decided to stick to what I know!

Also, I hate the naming they give to the number 1 spot, KOM! Maybe this had meaning in the past when strava mainly consisted of segments on hills? But on the pancake flat... surely they can include some altitude data and implement a filter to identify either a hilly segment (KOM), a flat segment (something else) and a descending segment!
Don't take it do serious, it's a laugh and way to race yourself, any koms are just a bonus, embrace the fun rob :biggrin:

Reactions: 4F
In all honesty strava has brought me on this year. The thing is, I don't mind if I get beat, but I will try my best to place as high as I can. If that is 50th then that is where I stand. Without it though, I probably wouldn't try anything like I have been doing. The difference is hugely noticeable since I started. I went crazy with it to begin with but now I take loads of rides easy. It's finding the balance.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Do not even have a basic speedo for commuting, i am going to the same place every day and if i feel good i will give it the beans, do sprints for markers etc .When i feel tired i take it easier .
the same goes for non commute rides albeit with a basic speedo ,

Top Bottom